Australis customization (or lack of thereof)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
KarmaQ

Re: Australis customization (or lack of thereof)

Post by KarmaQ »

They all still work for me too, 7-64.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

I'm positive that all three of these (middle-click reload button,ctrl-click reload button,ctrl-drag a tab) don't work at all in the UX Linux builds,I've tried on two different systems.

OTOH,they still do work as expected in Firefox 20 and with the "regular" Nightly:so,is this worth filing a bug in your opinion,or is UX currently in such an early stage in Linux that it would just be a waste of time ?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

File away. Worst that'd happen is it gets ignored or closed.
Last edited by KWierso on April 9th, 2013, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

The usual,as we say ;).
Srap

Post by Srap »

"to make it harder for users to render their browsers un-usable with their customizations"
What. I mean, what.
Was there a traumatic and ground-shaking case when masses of users did that? Something I did not hear about? When they just woke up one morning and thought "I'm gonna screw up my Firefox so hard today, using some Customisation! Gods will cry!" ?
Sorry for my bad English. Even if there wasn't a mistake.
Frank Lion

Re: Australis customization is a work in progress

Post by Frank Lion »

MattN wrote:Hello, I'm one of the Firefox developers working on Australis and I have good news :) :
What everyone is seeing on the UX branch are work in progress patches. I will guarantee that we won't ship Australis with only the current customizable regions. I saw the concerns about customizability in the previous UX build thread and brought up the topic at the Australis weekly meeting on Thursday. I got confirmation that the existing customizable regions are not out of the question:
2013-04-04 Australis Meeting Notes wrote:Q: Which regions will be customizable?
A: Existing [pre-Australis] regions are not out of the question

Updated 2013-03-07 to clarify meaning of "existing".

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=860814#c3

Mike Conley (:mconley) 2013-04-16 12:23:08 PDT

jaws and I just met, and here's an outline of our migration plan for v1 of the new customization mode.

Disclaimer: One of the points of Australis is to make it harder for users to render their browsers un-usable with their customizations. Another goal is to make Firefox more beautiful, regardless of how it has been customized. Some users will no doubt be upset that we're changing the boundaries for customization in Firefox for this first version of Australis.

Constructive feedback should be sent to the firefox-dev list[1] for open, respectful discussion.

Unconstructive feedback is, however, unwelcome, and should be withheld.

Neither types of feedback should be posted in this bug.

1: https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/firefox-dev

And here...we...go.

== The Navigation Toolbar ==

1. The back, forward, URL bar, reload and stop buttons will be placed at the beginning of the nav-bar. These will no longer be move-able.
2. At the end of the nav-bar will be the WebRTC button (hidden), the nav-bar customization target, the Social API toolbar item (hidden), and the menu button
3. All items that were originally in the nav-bar but were not included in the above list will be put into the customization target.
4. By default, the bookmarks button, downloads button and search input should be in the customization target, unless the user had customized them away in a previous version.

== Custom Toolbars ==

Custom toolbars (the type created from the "Add New Toolbar" button in toolkits customization window), will be removed. The items that were in those custom toolbars will be appended to the nav-bar customization target.

== Addons Toolbar ==

The add-ons toolbar will be removed. The items in this toolbar will be placed in the customization target of the nav-bar.

== The Menu Toolbar ==

The menu toolbar (File / Edit / View) will no longer be a customization target. Items that have been placed in the menu toolbar will be placed in the nav-bar customization target.

== The Tabstrip ==

The tabstrip will have a single customization target, on the side of the tabs closest to the menu button. All toolbaritems in the tabstrip will be placed in this customization target.

== Toolbar supplied by Add-ons ==

Example, the "Ask" toolbar, "Norton", etc. These will be untouched.

== Other ==

"Small icons" mode will no longer be supported.

Did I get all that right, jaws?

MattN wrote:I will guarantee that we won't ship Australis with only the current customizable regions.

Do I need to write anything about this or is the message clear enough?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Srap wrote:"to make it harder for users to render their browsers un-usable with their customizations"
What. I mean, what.
Was there a traumatic and ground-shaking case when masses of users did that? Something I did not hear about? When they just woke up one morning and thought "I'm gonna screw up my Firefox so hard today, using some Customisation! Gods will cry!" ?

Minority ruin it for the majority.

Firefox SHOULD be customizable, thats one of the main drawcards. Turning it into Chrome will just make people move to Chrome.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Makes you wonder if the real reason is they don't have enough devs with the knowledge to actually allow customisation. Seen this in one of my old trades "no it has to be like that" real reason we don't know how to fix it properly :-k a symptom of people talking there way into a job they can't handle
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
KarmaQ

Post by KarmaQ »

The inmates are finally running the asylum. This whole Australis thing really needs a rethink, it's ruining firefox.
Frank Lion

Re: Australis customization is a work in progress

Post by Frank Lion »

MattN wrote: This goes along with the reason for adding a close button to the add-on bar:
…one of the UX team's most important goals for Firefox 4 (and beyond) is minimizing Firefox's chrome and maximizing its content space.

UX Navbar Height: 34px
UX Tabbar Height: 30px
UX Addons Bar : 25px

Height of an urlbar or tabbar favicon:16px. Usual height of an urlbar/searchbar: 20px. Usual height of an Addons bar without even trying to be 'compact': 20px.

Most important goal = fail
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
marty60

Post by marty60 »

So the question now is will addons be able to restore some or all of these functions? Or is it going to be so hard-coded as to be impossible?
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

marty60 wrote:So the question now is will addons be able to restore some or all of these functions? Or is it going to be so hard-coded as to be impossible?

I believe its hardcoded, for performance reasons. I remember reading it somewhere.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
_matt_

Post by _matt_ »

Wow, that was a depressing read.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Grantius wrote:I believe its hardcoded, for performance reasons. I remember reading it somewhere.

Some of us may just wind up sticking with an older version for as long as we can. I'll be watching to see what Pale Moon does with Australis.