Australis customization (or lack of thereof)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
SaphirJD

Re: Australis customization (or lack of thereof)

Post by SaphirJD »

Mozilla already has lost since a long time the ability to follow a straigt logical road, When chaos takes over a developement process, nothing good is created in the end.

And all that Australis stuff just proves it sadly. :(
Prof. Martelo

Post by Prof. Martelo »

Plans For australis landing taking from http://logbot.glob.com.au/?c=mozilla%23fx-team#c19013

12:30 ttaubert Gijs: goedemorgen! I'm curious, do we still target fx25 for australis?
12:31 Gijs ttaubert: word is that we'll land it (hopefully this week) but back out before merge date, then land again on 26 and ride that.
12:32 ttaubert Gijs: aha?! why do we back it out again?
12:33 Gijs Because we don't think we'll manage to get it ready for everyone before 26, essentially.
12:33 ttaubert Gijs: so we just land it in fx25 to get more test coverage?
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

then we again think it is still not same as Chrome and land it early 26 then backout before merge date.. Same story. I heard that they already took care of Milestone 7 which is much more progress than during FF24 cycle, so I think it will be better they make one bold decision and land it in FF25 and stick to it and backport fix patches for discovered bugs.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

Prof. Martelo wrote:Plans For australis landing taking from http://logbot.glob.com.au/?c=mozilla%23fx-team#c19013

12:30 ttaubert Gijs: goedemorgen! I'm curious, do we still target fx25 for australis?
12:31 Gijs ttaubert: word is that we'll land it (hopefully this week) but back out before merge date, then land again on 26 and ride that.
12:33 Gijs Because we don't think we'll manage to get it ready for everyone before 26, essentially.

Given how long ago it was mooted for a 25 release, I'm absolutely shocked that there's still question marks over whether or not it'll be ready. Oh well, 26 it is then.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

sabret00the wrote:
Prof. Martelo wrote:Plans For australis landing taking from http://logbot.glob.com.au/?c=mozilla%23fx-team#c19013

Given how long ago it was mooted for a 25 release, I'm absolutely shocked that there's still question marks over whether or not it'll be ready. Oh well, 26 it is then.

I wish they would just abandon the whole idea and relegate it an 'addon' like everything else they are removing.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

In Mozilla time, it sounds about right.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Couldn't they land it in the nightly channel but not land it in 25 aurora or beta or final? Rather then pulling it completely?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

TheVisitor wrote:I wish they would just abandon the whole idea and relegate it an 'addon' like everything else they are removing.

Which does rise an interesting point IMHO:if this whole Australis thing were indeed an addon,how many people (including those overrated "average" users which Mozilla seem to hold in much higher consideration than advanced users,beta/nightly testers,addon developers and ultimately anyone getting in their way) would choose to install it,thinking "this is exactly what I was missing with that old,unusable interface" ?
Gort

Post by Gort »

Drumbrake wrote:Which does rise an interesting point IMHO:if this whole Australis thing were indeed an addon,how many people (including those overrated "average" users which Mozilla seem to hold in much higher consideration than advanced users,beta/nightly testers,addon developers and ultimately anyone getting in their way) would choose to install it,thinking "this is exactly what I was missing with that old,unusable interface" ?

They'd probably argue that the "average" user doesn't install extensions or themes, so Australis will have to be forced on them for their good because they'd be ignorant of it otherwise. ;)
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

As of now there are 15,490,695 users of Ad Block Plus the most used extension. According to Mozilla, Firefox counts over 450 million users around the world at the end of 2012... You do the math.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Grantius wrote:Couldn't they land it in the nightly channel but not land it in 25 aurora or beta or final? Rather then pulling it completely?

They have to back it out of Nightly before the merge in order to do that.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Omega X wrote:
Grantius wrote:Couldn't they land it in the nightly channel but not land it in 25 aurora or beta or final? Rather then pulling it completely?

They have to back it out of Nightly before the merge in order to do that.

I thought you can exclude certain changesets when you merge?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I might be wrong, but I've never seen them do that before. Usually, they just merge the branch at a certain point to the next one after the previous one was merged forward.
NoNameReally

Post by NoNameReally »

JayhawksRock wrote:As of now there are 15,490,695 users of Ad Block Plus the most used extension. According to Mozilla, Firefox counts over 450 million users around the world at the end of 2012... You do the math.

The long tail.

And they should delay it to 62, not 26.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Omega X wrote:I might be wrong, but I've never seen them do that before. Usually, they just merge the branch at a certain point to the next one after the previous one was merged forward.

The reason I'm asking is because they somehow exclude telemetry and other Nightly only settings - would make more sense to keep it to the UI branch until 26 rather than break everyones profiles and back it out