keyword.URL removal

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Timvde

keyword.URL removal

Post by Timvde »

Bug 738818 landed, which removed the ability to set your own keyword.URL. Instead, the location bar now searches the provider selected in the search bar.

This change:
- Removed the ability to have two active search engines at once
- Removed the ability to set custom engines, e.g. using Google's Browse By Name
- Actually rendered location bar search completely useless, as you have to use the search bar to change the provider anyway
- Is very inconsistent in my opinion. The behaviour of the location bar changes depending on the state of the search bar.

To be fair, I also have to state the positive sides of course:
- It can't be hijacked anymore to change the location bar search engine
- Anything else?

If anyone has got tips to revert this (other than using older builds of Firefox), please help me out :)

[edit] Oh, and just in case: please don't spam the bug. That's not what Bugzilla is for. [/edit]
Fanolian

Re: keyword.URL removal

Post by Fanolian »

This also change the behaviour of search bar in about:home.
However, the search engine on about:home updates only when you reload the page. Bug 860119 will fix this.

edit: I thought Australis removes the search bar? (at least in the default setting? I didn't follow the UX discussion.)
Last edited by Fanolian on April 11th, 2013, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Timvde wrote:This change:
- Removed the ability to have two active search engines at once
- Removed the ability to set custom engines, e.g. using Google's Browse By Name
- Actually rendered location bar search completely useless, as you have to use the search bar to change the provider anyway

Who in their right mind thinks this is good in any way ?
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

I agree this is a step backwards. For want of a tiny piece of UI, they force one half of the Firefox world to use the search bar when the other half is busy trying to get rid of it.

The obvious workaround would be to add a new engine using the search service, and make it the first:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... gine%28%29
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

To be fair, I also have to state the positive sides of course:
- It can't be hijacked anymore to change the location bar search engine

Nonsense,following this line of reasoning if you switch off your modem you'll be a lot more safer...you can't dumb down anything and everything to protect "average users",it's ultimately up to them to learn how to be safe on the web and how to correctly use a computer,starting maybe with giving a shot to operating systems less prone to intrusions and hijacking,learning to steer clear of toolbars and crapware and so on...
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

Drumbrake: That's the reasoning they provide. I totally agree with you. They could easily create a warning (like they do with third party add-ons) or create a button to revert it back to default. Heck, they could just incorporate it in the already existing "Restore defaults" button in the search engine manager.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Absolutely,sorry if my reply was a bit rude...you're so right,all this disruption to one of the most valuable and versatile features of Firefox,when they could have just added a "reset search engine" feature and be done with it.
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

I'm not sure what recently inspired Mozilla to focus on removing options. What's the most appropriate/effective avenue for expressing dissent?
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
dao-g

Post by dao-g »

Timvde wrote:- Actually rendered location bar search completely useless, as you have to use the search bar to change the provider anyway
- Is very inconsistent in my opinion. The behaviour of the location bar changes depending on the state of the search bar.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335781
tbs

Post by tbs »

Caspid wrote:I'm not sure what recently inspired Mozilla to focus on removing options. What's the most appropriate/effective avenue for expressing dissent?

http://limi.net/checkboxes-that-kill/
StyleThing

Post by StyleThing »

positive change is quite valuable imo.. not for you and me, but for people who don't know how to "computer" and install programs Next>Next>EnabledNotNeededCrapNext>Finish and then get their adressbar search hijacked
Firefox Release | Win8.1 x64 | AMD 6300 4Ghz x6 | AMD R9 270 2 GB for 1080p IPS | 4 GB RAM
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

tbs wrote:
Caspid wrote:I'm not sure what recently inspired Mozilla to focus on removing options. What's the most appropriate/effective avenue for expressing dissent?

http://limi.net/checkboxes-that-kill/

That's not what the article's about at all. This is literally removing options, not simply making the game-breaking ones harder to access.

StyleThing wrote:positive change is quite valuable imo.. not for you and me, but for people who don't know how to "computer" and install programs Next>Next>EnabledNotNeededCrapNext>Finish and then get their adressbar search hijacked

Drumbrake wrote:Nonsense,following this line of reasoning if you switch off your modem you'll be a lot more safer...
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
Jaggedalien

Post by Jaggedalien »

I think this is a good change (for the average user). Now if you change the search provider, it changes everywhere. You can always see which search provider you are currently using.

If you are interested in using multiple search providers, just use keywords.
An example for all those who might not know that feature:
-> Manage Search Engines -> Edit Keyword -> set "w" for the Wikipedia search engine
Then type "w firefox" into the urlbar. It will search for "firefox" on Wikipedia.
You can also bookmark Google's Browse By Name or any other URL and then add a keyword to that.
GSam

Post by GSam »

Jaggedalien wrote:I think this is a good change (for the average user). Now if you change the search provider, it changes everywhere. You can always see which search provider you are currently using.

If you are interested in using multiple search providers, just use keywords.
An example for all those who might not know that feature:
-> Manage Search Engines -> Edit Keyword -> set "w" for the Wikipedia search engine
Then type "w firefox" into the urlbar. It will search for "firefox" on Wikipedia.
You can also bookmark Google's Browse By Name or any other URL and then add a keyword to that.

One of the downsides to keywords is that you sometimes need to use them in your search terms. Chrome has an option to disable the search and is probably one of the few bits of functionality that I prefer Chrome for.

As a whole, I don't know how much I like this change. I'd have to try it for myself, but my search bar is almost never changed from Google. I hardly use the search bar regardless, but there are some cases where the address bar doesn't do a search when I want it to.
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

Searching from the address bar has always taken much, much longer than searching from the search bar for me, for some reason.