FX 23 - Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Elbart

Re: FX 23 - Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open

Post by Elbart »

Nobody expects the Spanish InquisitionMozilla UX-Team.
gone
Netscaper

Re: FX 23 - Hide Single Tab

Post by Netscaper »

Frank Lion wrote:
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:I just updated to FX 23 and I now have a tab showing in my Tab Bar with no other tabs open. Would someone be kind enough to give me the code to hide the tab when only one page is open? TIA

You want something like this -

Code: Select all

#TabsToolbar { border : none !important;}
#TabsToolbar { min-height: 0px !important;}
#tabbrowser-tabs tab[first-tab='true'][last-tab='true'] { display:none !important; }

The first two lines are there to tidy up the result of the third and they can either be dispensed with or adjusted, as required.
...and where do I go about with this code? Where should I put it?
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: FX 23 - Hide Single Tab

Post by joeg »

Netscaper wrote:...and where do I go about with this code? Where should I put it?
In the userChrome.css file in the chrome folder in your profile.

However, unless you have a fundamental aversion to add-ons, I'd leave the code modification alone and simply use this extension.
-> Hide Tab Bar With One Tab -> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/hide-tab-bar-with-one-tab/

Just install it and you're done.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Netscaper

Post by Netscaper »

^^Thanks Joe.
Hide Tab Bar did it for me. Simple as cake!
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Netscaper wrote:Simple as cake!
Frank's solution (the css code) works fine, too, but requires a bit more technical knowledge.

Glad I was able to help.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
GWT

Post by GWT »

I personally am adverse to adding yet another add-on for something that should've fundamentally been included to begin with. Having one tab take up all that space like that looks stupid and ridiculous. I will try Frank's solution and let you all know.

In the meantime, where can I find the OFFICIAL old icon for Firefox 22.0 and before? I am looking for the .ico so I can store it for future versions. The new icon is hideous and looks poor in Windows 7

Thanks
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Dingler wrote:It will be back, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=903720

┐('~`;)┌
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Dingler wrote:It will be back, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=903720

Josiah Bruner wrote:Correct, but neither of those are adequate enough for normal users. This is the main reason the feature was removed. Most people accidentally remove the tab bar and have no idea on how to add a new tab. We can't expect people to move the button themselves.

Hmm...well, certainly on this 26.0a1, if the Default Set (toolbar buttons) will insist on hiding the New Tab button on the tabbar and thinks it's a 'good idea' to open the Home button in the same tab then, yes, I can see why a user might indeed have 'no idea on how to add a new tab'

Have a guess how the devs could 'get around that issue'? ..... * 2 nanoseconds pass before the entire Builds forum figures that one out*

*sigh*
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Add to that the fact that Mozilla axed the titlebar so if you have the menu hidden, and the tab hidden you have no page title what-so-ever. Mozilla deemed the sometimes-as-few-as-5-characters-of-the-page-title-visible-on-the-tab as "enough of the title" even though on most sites this is just redundant to the favicon.

And remember that this is really primarily a tabs-on-bottom option as it really doesn't save space in tabs-on-top... did it even work at all or was it disabled for tabs-on-top mode? Anyway, Mozilla has already removed the option for tabs-on-bottom from the primary interface, removed a bunch of the support CSS for it, and it will probably be completely axed in the next set of revisions. And I have my doubts over whether the bug to restore this feature will be allowed to pass through. Several changes went through recently without full review by the UX team or component leaders and Mozilla is taking quite a bit of flack for it, and aren't likely to let one developer make a change that goes against the current direction of the interface any time soon.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
GWT

Post by GWT »

Bug 903720 - Add the ability to not "Always show the tab bar"

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If people have a problem finding the tick box then maybe there's a way to make it more obvious without burying it in a menu somewhere.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

GWT wrote:
Bug 903720 - Add the ability to not "Always show the tab bar"

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

If people have a problem finding the tick box then maybe there's a way to make it more obvious without burying it in a menu somewhere.

Don't strike up the band and start tossing confetti just yet, its been WONTFIX'd....

EDIT: a move that I fully expected...
patrickjdempsey

Right. I can't recall a single instance where a feature was removed and someone created a bug for bringing it back and Mozilla let it through.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
GWT

Post by GWT »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Right. I can't recall a single instance where a feature was removed and someone created a bug for bringing it back and Mozilla let it through.

Well that's all fine and nice, but at least it will get somebody's attention.

Forcing one tab to behave this way without the ability to turn it off was a boneheaded move. If some people in the past were clueless as to how to turn forced tabs on, then leave it on as a default with the ability for those of us (like myself) to have the option of turning it off later. Or at least let us make the change in about:config if doing it through Tools -> Options isn't an option.

I'll probably skip FF 23 and see what the future brings. The first time in 7 years I've had to do that.

Yes, there are add-ons that will correct most of this, but historically, too many add-ons in Firefox have caused other issues.
patrickjdempsey

GWT wrote:I'll probably skip FF 23 and see what the future brings.

Good luck with that. I'm jumping ship and switching to SeaMonkey because of what the future is bringing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

GWT wrote:Yes, there are add-ons that will correct most of this, but historically, too many add-ons in Firefox have caused other issues.

No, historically too many poorly-written hacky extensions have caused problems. All it takes is ONE baddy really.