MozillaZine

Firefox 26 browser.download.useToolkitUI

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
rayquaza88

Post Posted November 12th, 2013, 10:17 pm

On firefox 26 the option in about config to use the toolkit ui for the download manager is not working anymore and the option to focus when start isnt either is there a new way to get the same effects without using any add-ons? Was this change intentional?

the-edmeister

Post Posted November 12th, 2013, 10:31 pm

That pref was deprecated in Firefox 24. AFAIK, you need an addon now.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

JayhawksRock

Post Posted November 12th, 2013, 10:35 pm

You MAY still be able to use it if you also set browser.download.useJSTransfer to false.
Last edited by JayhawksRock on November 12th, 2013, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!" ~ Alfonso Bedoya ~ The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 1948

mightyglydd

Post Posted November 12th, 2013, 10:36 pm

# KeepFightingMichael

rayquaza88

Post Posted November 12th, 2013, 11:50 pm

Thanks for your responses.

about:downloads kinda does the job. You can register it as a bookmark and put it on the bar and/or add a keyword to open it fast.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted November 13th, 2013, 12:13 am

The toolkit UI was completely stripped out of the browser in Fx26. There is nothing to turn back on.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Frank Lion

Post Posted November 13th, 2013, 3:34 am

patrickjdempsey wrote:The toolkit UI was completely stripped out of the browser in Fx26. There is nothing to turn back on.

Except that there is...recode the Downloads button so that it goes straight to the 'Show All Downloads' Download Library on download start and style that window to look identical to the old Download Window.

Don't forget the functionality in that Download Library is near identical to what was in the old window, so it really is only a restyling job there.
Metal Lion latest Firefox Themes -Tiger SP, Tiger, Graphite, Australis
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted November 13th, 2013, 4:19 am

I see what you mean... looks like they finally fixed the Library so it doesn't open the referring pages for downloads anymore as well.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Frank Lion

Post Posted November 13th, 2013, 4:27 am

patrickjdempsey wrote:I see what you mean... looks like they finally fixed the Library so it doesn't open the referring pages for downloads anymore as well.

I've only just thought of this, so the idea is ragged, but an extension that evoked that Library window on download start seems, at least, pretty possible and a damn sight easier than trying to re-create the entire old Downloads Window. The new Download button could then be hidden.

..something like that. :)
Metal Lion latest Firefox Themes -Tiger SP, Tiger, Graphite, Australis
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted November 13th, 2013, 5:03 am

Yeah, I had the same half-thought... it might be possible to invoke the Library and load a special CSS file with it that hides the sidebar navigation tree and moves the toolbar to the bottom.

James

Post Posted November 13th, 2013, 3:50 pm

the-edmeister wrote:That pref was deprecated in Firefox 24. AFAIK, you need an addon now.

It was fast tracked to Firefox 26.0b1 actually. You may be thinking of another Preference.
(*.mozillaZine.org is not Mozilla!)
The Complaint Department at Mozilla (current complaints) (<It is not a real complaint site but for jokes/testing of bugzilla).
The Complaint department link is borked until unknown time.

JoeG

Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post Posted November 13th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:I see what you mean... looks like they finally fixed the Library so it doesn't open the referring pages for downloads anymore as well.
I've only just thought of this, so the idea is ragged, but an extension that evoked that Library window on download start seems, at least, pretty possible and a damn sight easier than trying to re-create the entire old Downloads Window. The new Download button could then be hidden.

..something like that. :)
Could I call your attention to this -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2761817

The offer's still good.
We have two cats: Nuri and Sufi. I feel like a room without a roof. Every day is Judgment Day.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted November 13th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Not interested in developing anymore public Firefox-specific extensions... and I don't presume to speak for Frank but I doubt he's going to be either. Might be a good project for young blood though.

JoeG

Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post Posted November 13th, 2013, 5:38 pm

patrickjdempsey wrote:... Might be a good project for young blood though.
They're all using Chrome or Safari. :(

I teach at two technical universities here in Berlin, and it's sad how few of the kids still use Fx. It used to be 80%-90% in my classes. Now it's about 20%.

I've showed them the plans for Australis and the pics on the net. The general comment was "Then I can just use Chrome."

#-o
We have two cats: Nuri and Sufi. I feel like a room without a roof. Every day is Judgment Day.

Ede_123

Post Posted December 11th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Return to Firefox General