Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
tongle

Post by tongle »

Since it seems pretty obvious that 1.0.5 will out (due to http://secunia.com/advisories/15601/), will this have any impact on the timeframe in which deer park final is deployed?
<b><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/f1254114/petition.html">Sign this petition if you want to help spread Firefox</a></b>
Mini-Geek

Post by Mini-Geek »

I don't think so, 1.0.5 will probably be out within a week, I don't think Deer Park will be affected more than a week or two at most, if at all
Playing computers since 6 months old,
Tim
Fx 2.0.0.1 on WinXP - Forum Rules
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

The nightlies (trunk at least) already had a patch for this checked in. I don't remember if it's a partial or total fix as of this moment. I still maintain my stance that unless there are other things worth patching, releasing 1.0.5 for this trivial issue is a waste of effort.
dirtyepic

Post by dirtyepic »

i agree. the chances of anyone actually exploiting this is just a bit ridiculous. i had to work at it for a while to even get the step-by-step test page to work.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20051223 Firefox/1.6a1 ID:2005122304
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

I might add again, from another thread, if you have any tab-control extensions where you open stuff all in tabs...your safe from this anyhow it appears.

So, how many Fx'rs are there that dont have some extra tab controls :)
Rishi M.
Folder@Home

Post by Rishi M. »

Cusser wrote:The nightlies (trunk at least) already had a patch for this checked in. I don't remember if it's a partial or total fix as of this moment. I still maintain my stance that unless there are other things worth patching, releasing 1.0.5 for this trivial issue is a waste of effort.

I agree. If there a few other security/stability fixes on deck already, then yes, ship 1.0.5. However, another release on the almost-dead aviary-1.0 branch just for this vulnerability will do nothing but take dev time away from 1.1.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Folding for Team MozillaZine (No. 39340) with 32.4GHz of power. Your machine can make a difference! Join now.
Ordinaryaverageguy04

Post by Ordinaryaverageguy04 »

On the other hand, this vulnerability has been reported everywhere. It would be good to show that Mozilla is dedicated to fixing security issues immediately. Personally, i think it would be a big mistake not to release a 1.0.5 with the patch. For those who don't know much about it still just see it as a security risk. They don't know or care about the severity, just that they aren't vulnerable. Just my opinion =).
Firefox + Thunderbird = The Ultimate Desktop Team
Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

So, what, you just need to actually use the tab feature in FF/Mozilla and you arent vulnerable? This is listed as midly critical why?

Littlemutt, you don't even need tab control extensions...this "threat" is weak.
Gadeiros

Post by Gadeiros »

There is some "Windows" bug according to this german heise online article http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/60433 which causes a blue screen, when height and width of images are set to big values in the html code (independant of the browser)

Yet, there seems to be a fix in Deer Park Alpha 1, which prevents this.
This fix would be good to have in 1.0.5 as well, if it isn't already in.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

my suggestion: for people who are really worried about the security fix, tell them to download deer park. ive been using firefox nightlies since 0.6 and ive never had it crash, so deer park wouldnt be a bad thing atleast for those people who really want that security fix.
Gadeiros

Post by Gadeiros »

A known problem which can lead to a blue screen and thus data loss should be fixed as soon as possible.
This "bug" seems to be quite easily "exploitable". FF 1.1 is still some 2 months away...
Fender178

Post by Fender178 »

I would release 1.05 just to be on the safe side until 1.1 offically comes out.

According to Yahoo news if you have the mixed tab extension installed then you should be protected.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... /164301545
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

Cusser wrote:I still maintain my stance that unless there are other things worth patching, releasing 1.0.5 for this trivial issue is a waste of effort.

Looking at the <a href="http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/2005/06/07/2005-06-07-trunk-builds/">most recent burning edge post</a>, it looks like a couple of other security fixes have gone onto the trunk. Assuming those aren't trunk-only regressions (which isn't very likely), they also exist in 1.0.4 and will need a 1.0.5 to fix them.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

You're right, I hadn't spotted those. One of them is bold (I assume that means major) so there must be more at work here than I know about, that's for sure.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

ColdFusion650 wrote:my suggestion: for people who are really worried about the security fix, tell them to download deer park.
Deer Park is not an end user product. That's why it isn't called Firefox.

We who are technically minded and can work around the bugs in DP (and find new ones) will benefit from using it. Others should stick to 1.0.4.