Downloads getting wrong file permissions on Windows 7

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ilovecookiez11

Downloads getting wrong file permissions on Windows 7

Post by ilovecookiez11 »

Most of the files I've downloaded last week are getting wrong file permisions (i.e. getting a padlock icon when the download finishes), meaning only I can open the files.
Sites I've downloading files include Skydrive.com, Mozilla.org when I tried to reinstall Firefox to fix the problem, and Sourceforge.net (where the files download just fine for some reason). When downloading the exact same files with Internet Explorer, the files download with no restrictions, narrowing it down to a Firefox related problem. Already done a reinstall and a reset, and the problem still appears.
I'm mostly obsessed with the nature of this issue, as Firefox leaves almost no trace on the Windows Registry -meaning that all the problems should be gone with a reinstall.
I'm using the latest version of Firefox 26 beta on Win7 32-bit at the moment.
sbt

Re: Downloads getting wrong file permissions on Windows 7

Post by sbt »

In all tests, are you downloading the files to the same folder?

Can win7 set a "Firefox as the parent" permission that might apply a "child" permission onto downloads?

I have experienced strange access problems, sometimes curable, but occasionally not. I think the only invincible access lock I have experienced are config files created by the software which also cannot access those files. :roll:
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Builds...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
ilovecookiez11

Post by ilovecookiez11 »

sbt wrote:In all tests, are you downloading the files to the same folder?

Can win7 set a "Firefox as the parent" permission that might apply a "child" permission onto downloads?

I have experienced strange access problems, sometimes curable, but occasionally not. I think the only invincible access lock I have experienced are config files created by the software which also cannot access those files. :roll:

Yep, I was downloading them all the time to my desktop. Downloading them anywhere else had no effect on the file permissions. Has to be like a one in a 52 million problem.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Can't confirm your problem. Gotta be more to it than just downloading.
Any special settings (like UAC disabled) or programs running?
Does it happen in Firefox-safe-mode? Or with Nightly?
gone
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I don't see this either even with UAC disabled. Possible AV/security software problem maybe? Just for comparison I am running Avast Free and Malwarebytes pro
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
StealthX

Post by StealthX »

I have been having the same problem. I assume it is a Nightly issue as I did not have the problem with regular Firefox previously with the same files that now are padlocked.
ilovecookiez11

Post by ilovecookiez11 »

Ok I just did a system restore back to like a month ago, and tried downloading a file from Skydrive to my Desktop. BAM! No file restrictions. But then Firefox prompted me to download the latest beta update, and so I did. Tried downloading exactly the same file, and the issue popped up again. I had to uninstall Firefox beta and go with the stable release, which again, doesn't have this issue. I did a MalwareBytes scan before and after the system restore, and it found nothing. I guess it's just a matter of time before the Stable release of 26 comes out and I'll have to deal with the issue again.
BenYeeHua

Post by BenYeeHua »

I think you might file a bug?
Marc (CH)

Post by Marc (CH) »

Same thing here. Since I moved to FF26 (release), I also get wrong file permissions and either have to set them manually or live with the padlock icon. This happens for all files I download and for all folders I put them into.

Security settings for the D/L files only show Administrators and System. If I manually add Authenticated Users and Users, the padlock disappears.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Well, I'm seeing this issue as well with FF26. I posted my issue to the sticky topic in the Support board before I saw this.

Copy:
One thing I just noticed about files downloaded now, at least in Windows 7 Pro 64bit w/ UAC enabled, that the files are saved without inheriting permissions from the parent's object. I did have Download Status Bar running before and maybe it was adding that flag, not sure. Anyway, one of the visible side-effects of this is that the file's icon has a padlock on it because the security tab only lists "System, My username, and Administrators". A file saved with FF25 2 days ago in the same location was inheriting permissions from the parent object and had "Authenticated Users, SYSTEM, My username, Administrators, and Users" listed in the security tab with no padlock.

No big deal since I can use and access the files fine but it does seem to point to a change in behavior.
StealthX

Post by StealthX »

Is this getting fixed?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

StealthX wrote:Is this getting fixed?

Probably not till someone files a bug with exact STR (steps to reproduce) or find where it regressed. I'm not seeing the problem here, and I've been using Nightly for years, even all the way from 25 up... no problems here.

but... I don't monkey with the OS file permissions for folders, so I'm not sure its not a user problem, or Win7 issue.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

See the post titled: Lock Icon on Files in Windows 7 in this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... rosecurity
jamosdelnorte

Post by jamosdelnorte »

I am seeing the same thing on FF26 using Windows Server 2003. This did not occur prior to the update.