Multiprocess Firefox [e10s] (Partial Release: Fx48)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
JayhawksRock

Re: Multiprocess Firefox [e10s]

Post by JayhawksRock »

Atempting to force e10s where it is not complete is probably the reason for the tab locking....
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Josa

Post by Josa »

e10s means Firefox use 2 processes, one for dealing with websites (connect, render, do JS stuff...) and the other for the rest (mouse movement, change tabs, navigate on menus...). So, if 1 website hangs the rendering stuff, all websites are blocked, but you still can interact with Firefox. It's not like Chrome, who has a process for each tab.
In the future, maybe, Firefox will do something similar to Chrome, but not now.
12sunflowers

Post by 12sunflowers »

Understand, thanks!
Sadly, i think that we have multiprocess in FF like Chrome - process for each tab.
harhar

Post by harhar »

12sunflowers wrote:Understand, thanks!
Sadly, i think that we have multiprocess in FF like Chrome - process for each tab.

You can change "dom.ipc.processCount" in about:config to get more than one single process for tabs. If you set it to 20 for example, up to 20 tabs can have their own process and tabs will only start sharing a process if you have 21 or more tabs open.
mayankleoboy1

Post by mayankleoboy1 »

harhar wrote:
12sunflowers wrote:Understand, thanks!

You can change "dom.ipc.processCount" in about:config to get more than one single process for tabs. If you set it to 20 for example, up to 20 tabs can have their own process and tabs will only start sharing a process if you have 21 or more tabs open.

As an addendum, each blank content process uses~90MB. So set the "dom.ipc.processCount" to something easonable. For a system with 4GB RAM, i suggest starting with 6, and then increasing slowly.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

I should point out that there are a number of things that are known not to work with dom.ipc.processCount greater than one, and these are not likely to be fixed with the first e10s beta or release. Use at your own risk. There is a tracking bug (don't spam it):
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1207306
12sunflowers

Post by 12sunflowers »

harhar wrote:You can change "dom.ipc.processCount" in about:config to get more than one single process for tabs. If you set it to 20 for example, up to 20 tabs can have their own process and tabs will only start sharing a process if you have 21 or more tabs open.

Thanks! Very interesting. Works! I am understand risk.

When e10s is appear in beta?
revvo6

Post by revvo6 »

Will Electrolysis ever come to Android Firefox?
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

revvo6 wrote:Will Electrolysis ever come to Android Firefox?

I think it was already on it but they pulled the feature due to memory use being high.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

If I set browser.tabs.remote.autostart and browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 to true, will this activate e10s in Beta 43.0b3?

I've read through this thread but wasn't able to find a categorical answer to my question.

Thanks.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I think you have a screwed up profile.

I only see "browser.tabs.remote.autostart" in my 43.0b3. Set to "false".

Might try toggling it later and see what happens.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Looks like toggling "browser.tabs.remote.autostart" didn't activate e10s in my Beta.

I did find "browser.tabs.remote.autostart.1" and "browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2" in my Nightly.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

me too. see my screen dumps below: (i'm living dangerously, all set to true & processes at 16 :D

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

The browser.tabs.remote.autostart preference place holder exists in Release as well. I dont remember how many releases have had it.... Obviously the code needed to implement the feature does not exist.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

JayhawksRock wrote:The browser.tabs.remote.autostart preference place holder exists in Release as well. I dont remember how many releases have had it.... Obviously the code needed to implement the feature does not exist.
In other words, there's no way turn on e10s in beta, right?

By the way, in Nightly, after months of constant crashes that rendered the e10s function unusable for me, about ten days or so ago, something changed. Now it works for me except in one situation: When I have only one tab open, and that tab contains a Fx function (e.g. AOM), and then, without opening a new tab, I try to do something else (e.g. open a website), the tab crashes, and I have to restart Fx. This, however, appears to be a problem in my profile, as I tried it once with a new profile and it didn't happen.

At some point - I guess if/when e10s finally makes it to "prime time" - I'll put together a new profile. Until then, though, Nightly with e10s turned on works OK for my testing purposes.

For daily internet use, I still use beta, and as for e10s, if/when it comes that's OK. If it dies by the wayside, that's fine, too. Tant mieux.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.