Multiprocess Firefox [e10s] (Partial Release: Fx48)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Xetmes

Re: Multiprocess Firefox [e10s]

Post by Xetmes »

@Virtual_ManPL

Thanks for his bug, looks like it is same problem.
Sintendo

Post by Sintendo »

StinDaWg wrote:Seems Adblock Plus is working with e10s turned on. Lastpass and NoSquint don't work though so I can't really use this feature full time. Hoping some of these addon makers start working to make this compatible (or already are behind the scenes).

Sintendo wrote:Just use tab? No need to have the menu bar enabled.

Just use tab? What do you mean?

Oops, I meant Alt, not tab. If you press Alt on Windows, the menu bar will show up, even if it's configured to be hidden.

Autoscrolling doesn't work for me in e10s windows. Anyone else?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

ABP was recently completely rebuilt to be a "restartless" addon and at that time I believe the author was also working on e10s compatibility. But it is important to remember that ABP has two very different modes: the first mode uses an API inside Firefox to block traffic with specific pages or entire domains, the second mode uses content CSS to apply display:none to requested elements. I'm not sure how exactly this is done, but it's possible that it's done through the style-sheet-service... if so, it's certainly possible that Mozilla has already fixed the style-sheet-service to work with e10s... or it's possible that one mode of ABP is fully working, and the other isn't. ABP also injects tiny buttons that say "Block" onto some content. So an anecdotal comment of "works" doesn't really tell you much. Does *every* function of ABP work, or just domain/page blocking?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
dutchguy

Post by dutchguy »

I think ABP only works partly. I see that some ads are blocked, but not all. Also the element hider does not work.
patrickjdempsey

So the domain blocking API is probably working and all of the parts that touch page content are broken... and will likely stay broken until fixed by the author.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Looks like painting is completely broken now in e10s on Windows at least. Any scroll instantly freezes the pixels except for a sliver toward the bottom of the browser and takes swapping tabs or resizing the window to force a repaint.
aurora37925

Post by aurora37925 »

I would like to ask for an option / switch to initiate a separate Firefox process for each browser WINDOW opened only, not every single tab - if feasible.
Thanks
patrickjdempsey

This is just a discussion forum by users, we have no power to enact such requests:
http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
LynCardinelli

Post by LynCardinelli »

aurora37925 wrote:I would like to ask for an option / switch to initiate a separate Firefox process for each browser WINDOW opened only, not every single tab - if feasible.
Thanks

I thought the plan was to build it such that they could pretty much do whatever heuristic they wanted (none, per window, per domain, per x tabs, per tab, whatever else) and then test and see which one was best for the most people to set as default. I may be making things up though (though to an extent, the fact that they're allowing turning it on, on a per window basis in nighties this early seems to lead me to believe it has some merit).
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

They don't know yet. The first plan was one process per component(UI - Content - Plugins). Then it was supposed to be per-tab and per-plugin. Currently its just the Firefox main process and a single content process plus any plugin process that might crop up(which is barely Flash Plugin half the time its sort of stable).
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

Omega X wrote:Currently its just the Firefox main process and a single content process plus any plugin process that might crop up(which is barely Flash Plugin half the time its sort of stable).

But currently you can change dom.ipc.processCount for example to 10 and the first 10 tabs will have their own process.
sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
avada

Post by avada »

Xetmes wrote:Found workaround, problem is with layers.offmainthreadcomposition.async-animations This is problem, if set to true, I've result from STR.

Hmmm the layers.offmainthreadcomposition.* settings are new to me. Anythine else related I can enable? (I have electrolysis enabled of course)
iwod

Post by iwod »

Anything ( news ) on exact rooting, IGC, GGC etc fully landing or turn on by default? It seems many of these has partially landed and has yet to be fully landed or turn on.
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

IGC has been enabled by default for ages, and Exact Rooting was turned on in 29. GGC for desktop is still blocked on some bugs found through fuzzing and some performance work to make sure it doesn't regress things. I do hope it makes 31 (since I doubt they'll feel confident about uplifting it to 30) since that's the next ESR, but note that the conservative stack scanner (what they used before exact rooting) will only be ripped out in 32 anyway so in terms of maintenance burden there's no real need to land GGC quickly. Though there's still the problem of B2G/Firefox OS as the static rooting analysis doesn't run there.

There's also Incremental Cycle Collection which hasn't been enabled by default yet, but I'm not sure how that's looking time-wise.
StinDaWg

Post by StinDaWg »

NoSquint doesn't work with e10s yet. Does anyone know of a similar extension that does? I've been trying to use e10s more because regular FF is lagging like crazy, I have a quad core but it's so annoying that cpu constantly peaks at 25% and just waits for everything to load until the browser is usable again. I haven't found a workaround for the small text issue.