Multiprocess Firefox [e10s] (Partial Release: Fx48)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Grantius

Re: Multiprocess Firefox [e10s]

Post by Grantius »

Yes it does
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
trolly

Post by trolly »

This person has a great advantage with e10s:
viewtopic.php?p=14160293#p14160293

It only crashes the tab not firefox.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

trolly wrote:This person has a great advantage with e10s:
viewtopic.php?p=14160293#p14160293

It only crashes the tab not firefox.

Ssshhh, don't bring facts to the anti-e10s circle jerk
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

E10s Fixes the week of May 11th, 2015:

803783 - Use structured clone instead of JSON strings for SendSyncMessage return value
    1158089 - Video playback doesn't work when e10s is enabled
    1099154 - Fix browser_backButtonFitts.js to work in e10s mode
    1161611 - [e10s] Re-enable browser_bug417483
    1161612 - [e10s] Re-enable browser_bug734076
    1131575 - [e10s] Re-enable browser_typeAheadFind.js
    1116854 - [e10s] Let add-on shims ride the trains
    1161614 - [e10s] Re-enable browser_plainTextLinks.js
    1105891 - [e10s] Closing a tab sometimes causes Firefox to hang
    1020027 - Intermittent browser_projecteditor_delete_file.js | Test timed out
    1025146 - [e10s] Never load the source off of the network when viewing source
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Grantius - too bad the only fact now is stability and in some cases responsiveness,
on the other hand we have poor performance, hangs and many bugs causing "eye cancer",
but let's hope they will fix all of these before enabling e10s in stable build [-o<
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
harhar

Post by harhar »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ Grantius - too bad the only fact now is stability and in some cases responsiveness,
on the other hand we have poor performance, hangs and many bugs causing "eye cancer",
but let's hope they will fix all of these before enabling e10s in stable build [-o<

Without e10s, the only thing I could do is completely give up on Firefox. It just makes no sense to use it in the future with websites getting more resource intensive all the time because of using more Javascript or whatever. There's always something making Firefox's UI run choppy with a lot of tabs open, and e10s is the only hope to fix that.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ harhar - I think you mistaken e10s as OMTC
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
harhar

Post by harhar »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ harhar - I think you mistaken e10s as OMTC

I don't think I have mistaken it. OMTC is the compositing of stuff done in C++ or something, translating the "pages" into graphics and painting those. When you click around in the UI, there's also Javascript that needs to run that changes the "pages" that are the UI. It's running on the same Javascript engine that's used by the webpages. Multiple snippets of Javascript can't run at the same time, at least not perfectly, without e10s running multiple processes. With those multiple processes you'll then get several Javascript engines running at the same time. I think something like this is how it works?
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Indeed, there's one JSRuntime on the main thread, which handles all tabs at once. DOM workers get their own JSRuntime, but they're also separate from a lot of the infrastructure like compartments and zones, since they only ever have one - and you have to specifically request a worker. So multiple processes are the only way to spread JS execution across multiple threads in Firefox right now. Personally I think it would be great if we had thread-per-zone or something like that, but it'd probably be hell to implement.
cainmd

Post by cainmd »

I got pushed a notification in ff devolper to enable multiprocess. not only does it not work at all but it my browser completely up. When enables nothing loaded except for the text on the top of each tab, i assume the pageview crashed. So i instantly disabled and and now my ff developer opens and loads as usual. But now the frame for ff is broken. I can't resize or move the browser. If i go fullscreen it's completely blank and crashes trying to go back to normal view. Seriously why would you push a notification for something that is completely. I just uninstalled ff and ff developer and am back to chrome developer. This is really frustrating for web devs and ff hasn't been getting better, ff used to be my default browser but we're far from those days
Last edited by rsx11m on May 18th, 2015, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for language
PadaV4

Post by PadaV4 »

^ Dont use prerelease builds if you cant stand bugs.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

^^Yes, and before you use "you" with an attitude, please read that little column to the right about who is running and mainly watching this forum. Also, please watch your language. Thanks.
happysurf

Post by happysurf »

About the new e10s I don't understand one thing, one advantage of the multi-process is the RAM cutting when one or more tabs are closed.
In Firefox the plugincontainer.exe processes (in my case dom.ipc.processCount is set to 3) remain activated in the task bar also after the closing of many tabs.
This is very strange and not efficient. :cry:
Surf the Internet is a dirty job but someone has to do it.
scratchee

Post by scratchee »

happysurf: That will hopefully be an advantage one day, but for now they are focusing on getting it running and are entirely avoiding issues with processCount greater than 1, so I expect they just haven't added the code to shut down processes that aren't needed anymore yet. That will probably be added in time, but for now they're focused on reliability and performance of the 2 process case.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

some people forget that e10's isnt 100% complete so there is bound to be problems . if you dont like them, use the stable Branch

its the fun thing with open source, even Linux stuff isnt 100% complete