Multiprocess Firefox [e10s] (Partial Release: Fx48)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
streetwolf

Re: Multiprocess Firefox [e10s]

Post by streetwolf »

Flipped the new autostart pref and now I can't right-click and get a menu anymore. LastPass doesn't seem to work and I don't have the new option in File.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
dutchguy

Post by dutchguy »

At least https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=963952 is fixed, that should make testing a lot better.
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

Yay, looks like OMTC is fixed (bug above), testing right now :)
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

Can someone confirm this bug:
1. Enable OMTC
2. Use forum based on IPB (I was able to reproduce this on two forums)
3. for example in editor use option "special bbcode"
4. Use drop down and try select some option form menu.
Result: not possible to point with mouse any option, keyboard works.
Screen, if someone have doubts about my description:

EDIT

Found workaround, problem is with layers.offmainthreadcomposition.async-animations This is problem, if set to true, I've result from STR.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

OMTC still on occasion will produce some screen corruption. Some times a portion of my window will go all black or my toolbars will turn, in part, to the color of my caption bar.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

streetwolf wrote:OMTC still on occasion will produce some screen corruption. Some times a portion of my window will go all black or my toolbars will turn, in part, to the color of my caption bar.

I think, in Your case, this is more AMD GPU Drivers related problem....
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Xetmes wrote:
streetwolf wrote:OMTC still on occasion will produce some screen corruption. Some times a portion of my window will go all black or my toolbars will turn, in part, to the color of my caption bar.

It seems the AMD corruption was fixed a few months ago. I haven't a clue why OMTC would cause similar problems.
StinDaWg

Post by StinDaWg »

Up until now, you had to set the parameter browser.tabs.remote to true to enable E10 in Firefox. This changes in future Nightly versions as the preference is set to true all the time.

This does not mean that the multi-process architecture is enabled right away though. Mozilla has added an option to the file menu to launch a new OOP (out-of-process) window so that Nightly users can test the feature without enabling it for the whole browser.

Side note: it is not clear if the File menu is the best location for the feature, considering that the menu bar of the browser is not displayed by default. This means that it is likely that many users overlook the new option.

I have to agree with this. I don't want the menu bar enabled at all times, but it seems this is the only way to test the feature.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

StinDaWg wrote:
Up until now, you had to set the parameter browser.tabs.remote to true to enable E10 in Firefox. This changes in future Nightly versions as the preference is set to true all the time.

This does not mean that the multi-process architecture is enabled right away though. Mozilla has added an option to the file menu to launch a new OOP (out-of-process) window so that Nightly users can test the feature without enabling it for the whole browser.

Side note: it is not clear if the File menu is the best location for the feature, considering that the menu bar of the browser is not displayed by default. This means that it is likely that many users overlook the new option.

I have to agree with this. I don't want the menu bar enabled at all times, but it seems this is the only way to test the feature.

Does it say when this is going to happen ? My pref is still set to 'false', and I have no option under 'File' to open an OOP window, and I'm running the latest m-c, win32 hourly build.

cset: https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/305117764929
Sintendo

Post by Sintendo »

Just use tab? No need to have the menu bar enabled.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

TheVisitor wrote:
StinDaWg wrote:

Does it say when this is going to happen ? My pref is still set to 'false', and I have no option under 'File' to open an OOP window, and I'm running the latest m-c, win32 hourly build.

cset: https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/305117764929

Set the setting to true but make sure the autostart setting is set to false. It works on the latest nightly
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Thanks Grantius, test profile set up, but that test didn't last long, will keep it around for future testing, video's from CNN just remains a blank gray box...
I watch a lot of news vids , so for me, its not ready for daily use/testing yet.
StinDaWg

Post by StinDaWg »

Seems Adblock Plus is working with e10s turned on. Lastpass and NoSquint don't work though so I can't really use this feature full time. Hoping some of these addon makers start working to make this compatible (or already are behind the scenes).

Sintendo wrote:Just use tab? No need to have the menu bar enabled.

Just use tab? What do you mean?
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

streetwolf wrote:
Xetmes wrote:

It seems the AMD corruption was fixed a few months ago. I haven't a clue why OMTC would cause similar problems.

I was told that OMTC is unstable on any major platform other than OSX at the moment.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Xetmes wrote:Can someone confirm this bug:
1. Enable OMTC
2. Use forum based on IPB (I was able to reproduce this on two forums)
3. for example in editor use option "special bbcode"
4. Use drop down and try select some option form menu.
Result: not possible to point with mouse any option, keyboard works.
Screen, if someone have doubts about my description:

EDIT

Found workaround, problem is with layers.offmainthreadcomposition.async-animations This is problem, if set to true, I've result from STR.

Look here Bug 875209 - [OMTC] Errors in rendering pages and failure to display drop downs
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.