Multiprocess Firefox [e10s] (Partial Release: Fx48)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
JayhawksRock

Re: Multiprocess Firefox [e10s]

Post by JayhawksRock »

So maybe is turned on... how can I check?

I think you would see an instance of plugin-container running in the Linux equivalet of Task Manager...
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

JayhawksRock wrote:

I think you would see an instance of plugin-container running in the Linux equivalet of Task Manager...

The content process used to be called plugin-container several versions back, but is now called Web Content. I've never seen one in a release or beta build.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Yeah this > https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis but I thought it was not enabled in Firefox 38. Maybe Linix has it turned on with a different name.
Maybe a Linux user can answer
Or it could be spyware. Does it die when you close Firefox
I'm Out
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

E10s Fixes the week of September 28th, 2015:

1189385 - [e10s] MEGA add-on compatibility tracker
    967873 - Proxy nsDocumentViewer::PermitUnload to the child process (make beforeunload events and dialogs work for remote tabs / e10s)
    1174437 - [e10s] GCLI media emulate command does not work with e10s
    1205676 - wpt service-workers tests unstable with e10s
    1208622 - Crash in M-e10s-1 on linux64 with APZ enabled due to IsCallerChrome() being called without AutoJSAPI on the stack
    1204626 - [e10s] Closing tab during “Save As… Complete Document” crashes with MsgRouteError
    1180761 - [e10s] Space to mark checkbox scrolls page too
    1204301 - In an e10s window, Nightly does not bring up the master password dialog when required for TLS client authentication
    1158111 - Add caching and control updating tab offset values in the child from the parent side
    1206508 - [e10s] Tab thumbnail(tab drag image) is broken while tab move animation on Windows7 Classic
    1168398 - Intermittent browser_webapi.js | This test exceeded the timeout threshold. It should be rewritten or split up. If that's not possible, use requestLongerTimeout(N), but only as a last resort. - expected PASS

harhar

Post by harhar »

avada wrote:
Ver Greeneyes wrote:IIRC a lot of e10s code is currently #ifdef NIGHTLY_BUILD, so it's simply not part of the binary for Beta or Release - if you tried to turn it on, it probably wouldn't work.

I remember otherwise. Although it will be more broken. One of the tabs.remote.autostart settings should enable it.

I'm trying the Firefox release version right now, and it seems this does not work anymore. I think it still worked in release and beta around two update cycles ago?
avada

Post by avada »

ildella wrote:
Ver Greeneyes wrote:I remember otherwise. Although it will be more broken. One of the tabs.remote.autostart settings should enable it.

browser.tabs.remote.autostart is true since a while.

Van Greeneyes was right apparently. Enabling the setting doesn't do anything on beta/stable anymore. (If memory serves it was possible to enable it before)
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

It may have been possible to enable e10s in release or beta at some point, but not in Firefox 38. I had amazing success testing my addon with the e10s preference enabled in 38 ESR, before realising that I was still running in single-process mode and needed to test in nightly.
Excelsis

Post by Excelsis »

Having high CPU usage when watching Youtube/Twitch.tv videos with e10s enabled. Is this a known issue?
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

E10s Fixes the week of October 5th, 2015:

• 1192316 - Windows XP T-e10s(g1) is permafailing since bug 959567 landed
    1194475 - Update mixed content blocker mochitest-browser tests to be more e10s friendly
    1196539 - [e10s] After switching the tab, flash plug-in would not repaint until mouse hover the plug-in or scrollbar
    1110511 - Implement about:tabcrashed spec
    1211636 - Nightly crash in mozilla::ipc::FatalError(char const*, char const*, unsigned long, bool) | mozilla::net::PNeckoParent::FatalError(char const* const) | mozilla::net::PNeckoParent::Read(mozilla::ipc::ContentPrincipalInfo*, IPC::Message const*, void**)
    1210741 - [e10s] Implement IAccessible::accLocation
    1209615 - make RootAccessible::RelationByType() work with e10s
    1118575 - Far seek on YouTube spins forever in dev edition - but does not freeze the browser
    1212681 - Enable MSE mochitests on e10s
    1197365 - run wpt tests in e10s in automation
    1131626 - [e10s] Re-enable browser_bug295977_autoscroll_overflow.js and browser_keyevents_during_autoscrolling.js
    1173330 - Fix and re-enable browser_bug638292.js in e10s mode
    1102020 - e10s - investigate browserDOMWindow.openURI and browser_bug537474.js failing
    1137944 - [e10s] Windowed plugins fail to paint correctly when the browser menu is displayed
    1186957 - Firefox (e10s enabled) cannot fill login form about https://www.facebook.com/ in a private browsing window
c2p

Post by c2p »

lithopsian wrote:It may have been possible to enable e10s in release or beta at some point, but not in Firefox 38. I had amazing success testing my addon with the e10s preference enabled in 38 ESR, before realising that I was still running in single-process mode and needed to test in nightly.
To enable e10s in beta you must set layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled to true. I've been using this for a few weeks.
harhar

Post by harhar »

c2p wrote:To enable e10s in beta you must set layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled to true. I've been using this for a few weeks.
I'm trying this setting you mentioned right now in stable (so not beta), and it's also working here, the task manager is showing sub-processes started by Firefox.
happysurf

Post by happysurf »

With XP and Firefox 42beta and layers.offmainthreadcomposition.testing.enabled to true, I don't see any extra process (plugincontainer.exe) in task manager.
There are also other settings to modify?

EDIT: With browser.tabs.remote.autostart to true works.
Surf the Internet is a dirty job but someone has to do it.
c2p

Post by c2p »

I'm testing e10s for some time with dom.ipc.processCount = 3. And it works great. I'm browser tabs abuser (50+ open tabs is normal :D) and session restore is crazy fast. But I have a serious problem since 42beta1 - every plugin cause crash of content process. I've tested this on linux and on windows. I get this error https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=562388#c2.
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

still no improvement with the opening of YT tabs. the browser slugs even without YTC. I didnt even dare to test the Google Play site. and two more main addons stopped working with the latest build.
i dont see any hope with this architecture. Mozilla should have focused on their Servo browser instead.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

KilliK wrote:still no improvement with the opening of YT tabs. the browser slugs even without YTC. I didnt even dare to test the Google Play site. and two more main addons stopped working with the latest build.
i dont see any hope with this architecture. Mozilla should have focused on their Servo browser instead.
Maybe you should try asking for help or filing a bug. What is this "YT" issue? I frequent YouTube and Google Play all the time, the only issue I found was in Google Play Music, but I later found out that its on Google's end.