Australis landing will need a FAQ- I give up.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
LoudNoise

Australis landing will need a FAQ- I give up.

Post by LoudNoise »

When Australis lands in 29 we are going to have a number of unhappy campers. We are going to need a FAQ. This is the place to start.

This thread is for suggestions of what the FAQ should include and suggested fixes, work arounds and howtos. This thread is in no way a thread for bitching, advocacy or any sort of nonsense that does not have a direct impact on helping the folks.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
SnoutSpout

Re: Australis landing will need a FAQ

Post by SnoutSpout »

"What has happened to the addon bar?" would probably be the most important question, with probably quite a few sub-questions covering stuff like custom toolbars as well. (I know the scope of this FAQ is mainly for end-users, but it might be good to put in something for new addon (or just addon devs that are out of the loop) writers, assuming the documentation is consolidated in a few easy links for reference and not buried all over in half a dozen places on Mozilla sites.)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

SnoutSpout wrote:assuming the documentation is consolidated in a few easy links for reference and not buried all over in half a dozen places on Mozilla sites.)

I believe there was a bug created to track documentation for add-on authors to make sure they had concise information on what's changed and how they should proceed going forward, rather than the previous method of letting add-on authors add their buttons/toolbars in any manner they saw fit. I'll dig some links when I get time, but for starters:

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2013/12 ... elopers-1/

In all honesty, that should be the go to source for updates.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

• Link to Classic Theme Restorer
- I don't like the rounded tabs.
- Where is the Firefox button?
- Why can't I move the back/forward button?
- etc
• Link to Statusbar add-on
- Where are my add-ons?
• Link to Holly?
- How do I remove Australis?

tbh, I don't see the average user running into "problems" with Australis except perhaps the add-ons bar, and possibly wanting to revert certain changes to the visual style/customization.
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Good stuff. However, I don't think Holly is going to be maintained.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

How do I move my tabs (tab bar) to the bottom of toolbar?
  • browser.tabs.onTop pref is obsolete.
  • Link to extension, theme or userstyle if any.
My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I've been using Nightly for 11 days now about 50% of the time. After some initial issues I managed to tweak the userChrome.css to give me a UI that is fine. That said the only major issue I see is a backward profile issue. Specifically, anyone that added a new toolbar using this

from the Pre FF29 Customize... window will have a big issue. While the space for the toolbar is still there as of 1/5/14 and the name of the toolbar is listed in View > Toolbars menu, you cannot place anything on it. In addition to get rid of it you need to manually edit the localstore.rdf file.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Interesting that that bug is still present. Maybe time to file a bug report against it? It will certainly be a major issue for people with lots of customization... especially users who may have hidden the toolbar!
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KrisM2

Post by KrisM2 »

I was having a problem on 26 with roboform disappearing from the toolbar.
Someone said basically get used to it as bars are going away.
I went to 29nightly and adopted to simplefill and removed roboform.
I also got rid of weatherfox and just use a couple of tabs.
I had bitched in survey about wasted space to right of "list all tabs" arrow and LO, they just fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!
It doesn't feed me breakfast in bed, but I had a lot of fun, saved myself a lot of time, and was able to easily adapt, all because someone said "changes in toolbars coming" in 29-32, and try 29nightly.
I don't know how that would fit into a FAQ for 29 - maybe better a warning about all this in the regular forum and a FAQ as to how to ease the process (eg the above 6 lines)(which eased it for me).
I just stumbled into it! And got an easy path.
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
- others -
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Ok, this is what I am currently thinking about in format. Kindly think of things that will fit into this format. If someone has suggestions for a better format let me know.

Keep in mind that once Australis lands we are likely to have a number of suprised and annoyed folks. Think awesomebar on speed.

Major UI changes

Specific and notable changes listed individually.

Any notes or links to discussion that might be useful. The links will likely be added after the fact from FX Support or General since it is SOP for these is to keep folks to folks out of Builds to avoid "THIS SUX" thread spam here.

For example:
What has happened to the addon bar?

The addon bar has been removed.
It can be restored by (Extension name and link) maybe link to code.

How do I move my tabs (tab bar) to the bottom of toolbar?

This ha been removed and can no longer be done (assuming that thiere isn't an extension or code snip that will change it)

Any notes or links to discussion that might be useful. The links will likely be added after the fact from FX Support or General since it is SOP for these is to keep folks to folks out of Builds to avoid "THIS SUX" thread spam here.

Themes and extensions that will return the interface to pre V29 look

[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (for Australis UI)
Link: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/classicthemerestorer/
Support thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2773133
Any useful notes.

etc.

These are just examples. If someone does not what their extension or theme listed I won't.

-----------
So, suggestions and specific examples in the format shown are welcomed. As always, folks will be credited for their suggestions in the FAQ.

Description of UI change
Post wrangler
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Cleaned up the off-topic stuff. Reopened.

Come April, one hell of a lot of people are going to be really confused about, what for them, is a sudden change. That is the point of this thread.

Also, using the "A" word in a topic down here seems to mean a debate. This isn't a debate.
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

I've been thinking about making a thread about migrating from Firefox to SeaMonkey. I know that there won't be a *flood* of people making that switch but we already have several trying it out and it's not a wholly unreasonable course for people with some skills. I might steal some of your structure for that! ;)
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Looks like they are making contingency plans for 'massive theme bustage' once Australis hits>

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=956990 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=956990

Also bugs to change extension compat pref and an opt in for themes:

Bug 961999 - Make extensions.checkCompatibility only apply to specific add-ons
Bug 962001 - Add support for compatible-by-default for themes, as an opt-in
patrickjdempsey

That mess is beyond me... it looks like they are talking about several totally different things at the same time. Instead of all of this mess how about a big warning in the FAQ that any and all themes which to not explicitly state that they are updated and compatible with Australis should be considered VERY broken and be disabled?
LoudNoise

Re: Australis landing will need a FAQ- I give up.

Post by LoudNoise »

This thread is now yours folks. It is becoming to much work.
Post wrangler