No Quality option on YouTube

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Nx64

Re: No Quality option on YouTube

Post by Nx64 »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I don't think UX has gotten an update in a LONG time because everything in it landed in Nightly months ago.

In about:config, right-click on the field and create a new "Integer" preference:
general.useragent.override

Then copy in the sample string I put up there. Close Firefox and restart and see if the video works with the right controls. If it works, then that means YouTube's UA sniffer is broken.

I think you meant new "string" not "integer" right?

Tested, didn't help.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Yup, I did, sorry. Hmmm... well go ahead and reset it back so it doesn't mess with any other sites.

As mentioned by the others, it's possible that this is a problem with the 64-bit version of Flash, which is not widely tested. Note that Mozilla does not officially support 64-bit builds of Firefox and does not guarantee any quality with them. About the only other thing I can think to try is to disable Hardware Acceleration under Flash Options.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Nx64

Post by Nx64 »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Yup, I did, sorry. Hmmm... well go ahead and reset it back so it doesn't mess with any other sites.

As mentioned by the others, it's possible that this is a problem with the 64-bit version of Flash, which is not widely tested. Note that Mozilla does not officially support 64-bit builds of Firefox and does not guarantee any quality with them. About the only other thing I can think to try is to disable Hardware Acceleration under Flash Options.

Thank you guys for your help, I mark this issue Solved for now, since there's no quarantee which is causing this problem.
patrickjdempsey

Re: [SOLVED] No Quality option on YouTube

It's not necessary to mark posts as "solved" on this forum... unless they really are. That might be confusing to some user who happens by here with the same problem!
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Nx64

Re: [SOLVED] No Quality option on YouTube

Post by Nx64 »

patrickjdempsey wrote:It's not necessary to mark posts as "solved" on this forum... unless they really are. That might be confusing to some user who happens by here with the same problem!

Edited the title.
BenYeeHua

Post by BenYeeHua »

Try using some script to disable the DASH, or change the quality?
Nx64

Post by Nx64 »

I removed prefs.js file also, didn't help. Still no Quality option on YouTube gear icon.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Nx64 wrote:I have Firefox Nightly x64

Do the developers care about 64-bit builds? Last I checked, they were just being built to make sure they still compile.
  1. Check if the problem occurs in 32-bit Nightly.
  2. If yes, uninstall Flash Player beta and install the stable version. If the problem goes away, it seems there's a bug in Flash Player and you should report it to Adobe.
  3. If the problem persists in 32-bit Nightly with the stable version of Flash Player, it may be a bug in Firefox.
Nx64 wrote:Can you hit me with a link to HTML5 video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSGBVzeBUbk&html5=1
Nx64

Post by Nx64 »

Uninstalled x64 version of Nightly, installed x86 version of Nightly, YouTube quality is working. But unable to close LastPass toolbar....errr time to install Chromium. Goodbye Firefox.
Rangerhere

Post by Rangerhere »

i have the latest nightly and 32 bit beta flash player ( 13.0.0.168 ) and quality option shows in gear on youtube
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Nx64 wrote:Uninstalled x64 version of Nightly, installed x86 version of Nightly, YouTube quality is working. But unable to close LastPass toolbar....errr time to install Chromium. Goodbye Firefox.

Nightly is a highly experimental version intended for testing. First of all, if you don't want to help find and report bugs, then you should be using the latest stable version instead. Secondly, add-ons can't be expected to work properly in test versions, with the exception of a handful that have test versions themselves (like Adblock Plus development builds or beta versions of Status-4-Evar).
patrickjdempsey

Nx64 wrote:Uninstalled x64 version of Nightly, installed x86 version of Nightly, YouTube quality is working. But unable to close LastPass toolbar....errr time to install Chromium. Goodbye Firefox.

See ya. By the way, did you get the word that we aren't Mozilla? http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
Leonick

Post by Leonick »

So, I've had this issue for a while now as well. Well, it comes and goes it seems. Sadly not finding much about it. There's this thread and a few posts over on Google groups by people with the same issue. No solutions anywhere.

I usually see the settings button at first when loading the page but then shortly after either the button disappears completely or if it stays, the quality settings disappear even if the was in it at first.

It's only an issue with the flash player (the HTML does not have this issue).
I've got version 12.0.0.77 of flash installed, 32bit.
Currently running Firefox Beta, version 29. This was happening before beta 29 though.
Changing useragent to 27 or 28 did nothing.
Disabling all addons did nothing.

Sounds like Nx64 gave up but I'm open to suggestions.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Changing the user agent isn't likely to do much of anything.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Nx64

Post by Nx64 »

So I decided to give Nightly another shot, this time I installed x86 version of Nightly (Like I previously mentioned). Quality on YouTube is working fine now, but I'm unable to close LastPass toolbar, should I create a new topic for this bug?

Also if HTTP2.0 is enabled Gmail pages won't open. I think that this is mentioned earlier also by other member.
Last edited by Nx64 on March 28th, 2014, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.