Beta not marking downloads as complete

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
psaulm119

Beta not marking downloads as complete

Post by psaulm119 »

I'm finding downloads not being marked by FF as complete. Graphics are in the temp file and complete; downloads are on desktop (complete), but FF in the d/l manager is evidently marking the downloads as needing "a few seconds remaining:

http://bluegriffon.org/pages/Download

was one of the downloads. The exe actually installed, although FF never saw the d/l as being finished.

I restarted in safe mode and same thing. In fact, FF tried to "finish" d/l the executables, and gave me two new Bluegriffon files on my desktop. THey will install when double clicked, but FF is still marking them as not being a finished d/l in the downloads library.
Paul
psaulm119

Re: Beta not marking downloads as complete

Post by psaulm119 »

Sorry I think this was a problem with a couple of sites, but Aurora and .NET 4 both downloaded w/o a problem, so I'm no longer thinking this is a FF issue.
Paul
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

Yep, but it's fixed in FF33+.
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

Fine. I'll go back to Aurora. :)

Opened up aurora and the d/l "finished."
Paul
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Dingler wrote:Yep, but it's fixed in FF33+.

bug that fixed it ?

someone has filed this for I think same problem:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1057764
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

So if we want the d/l manager to work properly, we have to agree to the safebrowsing initiative? Yuck. I disabled that.
Paul
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

psaulm119 wrote:So if we want the d/l manager to work properly, we have to agree to the safebrowsing initiative? Yuck. I disabled that.

That's what the OP of the bug reports. I did not test or try to repo this issue, so it could be I suppose wrong information, but then again I've never been bothered by the safe-browsing checks.
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

I could live with it if I had to, in order to escape this. But I've got Malwarebytes Pro and MS Security Essentials, as well as the "warn me if I go to a harmful site" option checked in every browser I have on this laptop, so I feel safe enough and I'd rather not deal with false positives.

Well we'll see what they choose to do about this. Thanks for the link to that bug report. I'll follow it.
Paul
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

Anyway it's a silly regression for lambda users who will not understand why FF32 fails to finish the download.
kj2o3j29048

Post by kj2o3j29048 »

Damn this is ridiculous. Guess I'll try nightly or aurora. When is Beta 33 coming out?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

kj2o3j29048 wrote:Damn this is ridiculous. Guess I'll try nightly or aurora. When is Beta 33 coming out?

Sept 2nd
Aris

Post by Aris »

What would be the point of such a safety feature, if the downloads only get marked 'not finished', but get 'finished' anyway?
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

Aris wrote:What would be the point of such a safety feature, if the downloads only get marked 'not finished', but get 'finished' anyway?

That part was a bug, not a feature. The safety feature is the part about scanning a download and not allowing it (in some way) if it is suspected of being malware. The issue about downloads not being marked as finished is the bug part, and its not supposed to be happening. Supposedly if that safety feature gets removed, the problem goes away. I have not been able to see that in my current profile and beta, but perhaps the solution involves only particular builds.
Paul
Aris

Post by Aris »

Thanks for clearing things up. I hope they fix this annoying bug on next beta.

To be sure you are not affected by this bug try to download "izarc" from here:
http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/sy ... mme/izarc/
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

Looks like we won't have to wait too long. Its been marked as resolved fixed, which means a fix has been checked into the tree and tested.
Paul