Yes! 64-bit Firefox for Windows on its way

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Virtual_ManPL

Re: Yes! 64-bit Firefox for Windows on its way

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

squall_leonhart wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ Bryskens - Windows and other systems probably too don't like big sessions,
I can tell you this from my own experience as tabs and bookmarks hoarder.
At over 100-200 tabs you will be mostly already hitting into windows limitations, like GDI objects per process,
so you can expect extreme performance loose and crashes.
GDI object limits have been a non-issue since Windows Vista,
You spin a grand tale, but shouldn't try it in forums where people know better.
FYI: A flash process loaded in plugincontainer has more object handles than a single e10s web process with 1000tabs.
=;

Oh, I'm very sorry Mr. Omniscient. ;)
I get my information from here,
so if you have more information, simply add it...
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

That bug post has several issues going on.

1. The user is on a 32bit operating system with the 2GB address space barrier
2. That user is not hitting object limits
3. That post predates unloaded tab support

GDI objects were trouble in Windows XP when spawning multiple content windows, content loaded in tabs contributed significantly less to the object count.

In XP and earlier the GDI object pool had a global limit as it is served from paged pool.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx

in Vista and later, the GDI limit is per process (per-session as worded on the below blog)

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mar ... ts-part-2/

on Windows 7 32, a single process can have 10,000 object handles - however you usually run out of address space before this even is reached.
avada

Post by avada »

squall_leonhart wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:You don't have to keep all those pages open at one time. Use an extension like Session Manager and save different sets of tabs and/or windows for different sessions. Then you could open 25, 50 or a 100 tabs in a session and then close that session and open another with a different set of 100 tabs. It's not necessary to close and restart Firefox to change from one session to another.
Don't tell people how to use the browser,

its up to developers to make a browser that fits even the extreme cases of usage.
BS. Every software can be used stupidly. What they should do is limit the tabs that can be opened to something reasonable.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Don't tell people how to use the browser, its up to developers to make a browser that fits even the extreme cases of usage.
There's a huge difference between offering a suggestion and "telling people how to use the browser." And there are extreme cases of usage and EXTREME cases of usage. I can't understand how having 1000 tabs open would in any way be either effective or efficient. Those who believe that works for them are welcome to struggle with it but it seems to me more like piling 1000 books on one's desk while doing research rather than having those same books on shelves and only opening the most currently used books on the desk. The rest of them would be readily available but not cluttering up the work area when not being used.
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

avada wrote:
squall_leonhart wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:You don't have to keep all those pages open at one time. Use an extension like Session Manager and save different sets of tabs and/or windows for different sessions. Then you could open 25, 50 or a 100 tabs in a session and then close that session and open another with a different set of 100 tabs. It's not necessary to close and restart Firefox to change from one session to another.
Don't tell people how to use the browser,

its up to developers to make a browser that fits even the extreme cases of usage.
BS. Every software can be used stupidly. What they should do is limit the tabs that can be opened to something reasonable.
Thats not how software development works.

Smart developers imagine the stupid worst case situations and make sure their products can handle them.

Or they give up and go home.
therube

Post by therube »

Virual_ManPL wrote:I get my information from here
Yes, that is a bit dated.
GDI
Yes, generally an XP thing, generally not of concern in later OS.
But later OS have their own "gotchas", like, Not enough server storage (which may not necessarily be relevant here, but the point is if "GDI" doesn't get you, there is something else around the corner just waiting...).
(And anyhow, my XP, 2GB RAM, seems to handle 856 tabs, 69 loaded at this point, using 1.2 GB RAM, just fine.)
avada wrote:What they should do is limit the tabs that can be opened to something reasonable.
And just whose reasonableness do they go with?
The person who does not want to use tabs at all, only windows?
The person who only wants at max 9 tabs?
The person that wants 900 or 9000?
Dan wrote:I can't understand how having X-number-of tabs open would in any way be either effective or efficient
To each his own.
Everyone works in a different manner & processes things differently.

If someone can make 9 tabs work, & understanding the limitations, then why not.
If someone can make 900 or 9000 tabs work, & understanding the limitations, then why not.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ squall_leonhart & therube - Thank you very much. It was very informative. =D>
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
PadaV4

Post by PadaV4 »

Well apparently they have a roadmap for offering the 64bit build by default.
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/23/mozill ... dows-plan/