MozillaZine

resolved: 12/15 Phoenix build dies on nsGlobalHistory.o

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
tppytel

Post Posted December 15th, 2002, 1:13 pm

At a total loss here... Google didn't turn up even a trace... Help!

Trying to build Phoenix, from the 1.2.1 tarball cvs updated for browser and toolkit on 12/15. I get most of the way through the build, and receive the error posted below for nsGlobalHistory.o. I'm using vanilla -O2 optimization, have exported MOZ_PHOENIX=1, and am using the .mozconfig found in the Phoenix readme. System is Linux LFS-4.0 - glibc-2.2.5, gcc 3.2, XF86 4.2, GTK+ 1.2.10, libIDL 0.6.8, everything installed in /usr. Have tried various .mozconfig's to no avail. I've built Moz 1.2.1 on the system before, though I had some problems with the mail editor not working - perhaps that's related. However, I did uninstall Moz before the final try at Phoenix. Any more questions, let me know...

Todd

Error:
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/tppytel/mozilla/toolkit/components/history'
make[5]: Entering directory `/home/tppytel/mozilla/toolkit/components/history/public'
nsIGlobalHistory.idl
../../../../dist/bin/xpidl -m typelib -w -I ../../../../dist/idl -I. -o _xpidlgen/nsIGlobalHistory nsIGlobalHistory.idl
nsIBrowserHistory.idl
../../../../dist/bin/xpidl -m typelib -w -I ../../../../dist/idl -I. -o _xpidlgen/nsIBrowserHistory nsIBrowserHistory.idl
../../../../dist/bin/xpt_link _xpidlgen/history.xpt _xpidlgen/nsIGlobalHistory.xpt _xpidlgen/nsIBrowserHistory.xpt
../../../../config/nsinstall -R -m 644 _xpidlgen/history.xpt ../../../../dist/bin/components
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/tppytel/mozilla/toolkit/components/history/public'
make[5]: Entering directory `/home/tppytel/mozilla/toolkit/components/history/src'
nsGlobalHistory.cpp
c++ -o nsGlobalHistory.o -c -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.4\" -DOSARCH=\"Linux\" -DOJI -I../../../../dist/include/xpcom -I../../../../dist
/include/string -I../../../../dist/include/rdf -I../../../../dist/include/mork -I../../../../dist/include/pref -I../../../../di
st/include/necko -I../../../../dist/include/intl -I../../../../dist/include/unicharutil -I../../../../dist/include/autocomplete
-I../../../../dist/include/history -I../../../../dist/include -I/home/tppytel/mozilla/dist/include/nspr -I/usr/X11R6/incl
ude -fPIC -I/usr/X11R6/include -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Wall -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Woverloaded-virtua
l -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -pedantic -Wno-long-long -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -O2 -I/usr/X11R6/in
clude -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsGlobalHistory.pp nsGlobalHistory.cpp
nsGlobalHistory.cpp:2233: no `nsresult nsGlobalHistory::FlushTo(const char*)'
member function declared in class `nsGlobalHistory'
make[5]: *** [nsGlobalHistory.o] Error 1
Last edited by tppytel on December 15th, 2002, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tppytel

Post Posted December 15th, 2002, 1:24 pm

Searching `round here on nsGlobalHistory found the same error about 3 weeks on an RH 7.3 box with no resolution...

Yek

Post Posted December 15th, 2002, 3:01 pm

tppytel wrote:At a total loss here... Google didn't turn up even a trace... Help!

-------cut--------
-I/usr/X11R6/in
clude -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsGlobalHistory.pp nsGlobalHistory.cpp
nsGlobalHistory.cpp:2233: no `nsresult nsGlobalHistory::FlushTo(const char*)'
member function declared in class `nsGlobalHistory'

There's so much that's unique about everyone's build environment that I'm at a loss regarding that. If you ignore the environment and just look at the error as a c++ error, I'd guess (and I really mean guess) the following:

- in nsGlobalHistory.cpp: There's obviously a method called FlushTo being referenced. It seems also that the method isn't prototyped in whatever *.h file is appropriate under the toolkit tree.

- Try going up near the top of that tree (toolkit...) I suppose and doing a "grep -R FlushTo *" and see if you can find 'FlushTo" in not only the .cpp file, but also in a .h file as well for nsGlobalHistory. If you can only find it in the .cpp file, then take a look at the cpp file and check that method out just to see if its supposed to be unincluded or is flagged as 'outofuse' or deprecated or something. Then look for another method (maybe ::Flush()) that doesn't give an error and back up to the treetop and do a "grep -R Flush *" . If you see that it's not only in the nsGlobalHistory.cpp file, but also in some corresponding .h file with a declaration that includes as the first word 'nsresult', then it appears that somehow you've gotten an unsynched bunch of files from CVS. Seems like there's room for that to happen now and then.

- anyway: I suspect your environment (compile flags, os, libs etc) all have something to do with it but if you wanted to just get past that one error and see if theres 9000 more :) , you could comment out the FlushTo method in the .cpp, save it and try again. If there's no sign that FlushTo is a 'bogus' method, then you could also try prototyping it wherever you find the valid method prototypes for good methods in that cpp file. (probably in some misnamed far off .h file judging from the mozilla trunk)

That was the quickest way I could think of to test it at all, but save a copy of whatever you change for when someone really comes up with the solution to the problem. G/L

(btw: I don't keep the source around after I've done a build, else I'd look at this more closely. My system is fairly low-capacity at the moment. )

tppytel

Post Posted December 15th, 2002, 10:24 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. Problem turned out to be entirely between the keyboard and the chair, but your response led me in the right direction. FlushTo indeed showed up only in that cpp file, followed by "Never implement this". Which got me thinking I had bad source. Sure enough, the hint I was following neglected to mention the necessity of the proper tarball conversion before checking out via CVS. Following the instructions on the Moz CVS page fixed things up.

Thanks again...

dirtbag

Post Posted December 24th, 2002, 6:50 am

Im running into the same problem..

make[5]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla/toolkit/components/history/public'
make[5]: Entering directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla/toolkit/components/history/src'
nsGlobalHistory.cpp
/opt/local/bin/gcc -o nsGlobalHistory.o -c -DOSTYPE=\"SunOS5\" -DOSARCH=\"SunOS\" -DOJI -I../../../../dist/include/xpcom -I../../../../dist/include/string -I../../../../dist/include/rdf -I../../../../dist/include/mork -I../../../../dist/include/pref -I../../../../dist/include/necko -I../../../../dist/include/intl -I../../../../dist/include/unicharutil -I../../../../dist/include/autocomplete -I../../../../dist/include/history -I../../../../dist/include -I/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla/dist/include/nspr -I/usr/openwin/include -fPIC -I/usr/openwin/include -frtti -fexceptions -pedantic -Wno-long-long -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -O3 -mv8 -I/usr/openwin/include -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsGlobalHistory.pp nsGlobalHistory.cpp
nsGlobalHistory.cpp:2233: no `nsresult nsGlobalHistory::FlushTo(const char *)' member function declared in class `nsGlobalHistory'
make[5]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla/toolkit/components/history/src'
make[4]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla/toolkit/components/history'
make[3]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla/toolkit/components'
make[2]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla/toolkit'
make[1]: *** [tier_9] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2
sunbox%

I used the following to snag the toolkit and the browser code into my mozilla source tree..
% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot checkout mozilla/browser
% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot checkout mozilla/toolkit

is this not correct?

-DB

dirtbag

Post Posted December 30th, 2002, 12:15 pm

so im looking at the previous reply where he says that :
"Sure enough, the hint I was following neglected to mention the necessity of the proper tarball conversion before checking out via CVS. Following the instructions on the Moz CVS page fixed things up. "

so im guessing what I need to do to get this compiled is..
1. download the latest mozilla tarball
2. following http://www.mozilla.org/cvs.html#sandbox
I would do
# and run ``cvs -z3 checkout -PA mozilla/client.mk'' in the same directory you unpacked the tarball,
# then run ``make -f mozilla/client.mk checkout MOZ_CO_FLAGS=-PA''

3. and then do the
% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot checkout mozilla/browser
% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot checkout mozilla/toolkit

4. compile

is this correct?

cdn

Post Posted December 30th, 2002, 12:58 pm

to build Px from cvs, I use

~/.mozconfig

Code: Select all
export MOZ_PHOENIX=1
mk_add_options MOZ_PHOENIX=1
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --enable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-O2
#ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mailnews
ac_add_options --disable-composer
#ac_add_options --enable-xft

then generally

# make -f client.mk

dirtbag

Post Posted December 31st, 2002, 6:37 am

I didnt try what the cdn suggested *yet*, but when I now tried the procedure I posted earlier (dec 30th), I got the following in the make.

updating: skin/classic/global/arrow/arrow-rit.gif (deflated 5%)
updating: skin/classic/global/arrow/arrow-up.gif (deflated 5%)
updating: skin/classic/global/tree/columnpicker.gif (deflated 4%)
updating: skin/classic/global/tree/sort-asc.gif (stored 0%)
updating: skin/classic/global/tree/sort-dsc.gif (stored 0%)
updating: skin/classic/global/console/console-error-dash.gif (deflated 6%)
updating: skin/classic/global/console/console-error-caret.gif (deflated 4%)
updating: skin/classic/global/icons/close-button.gif (deflated 12%)
adding: skin/classic/global/customizeToolbar.css (deflated 41%)
adding: skin/classic/global/Preview.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar.gif (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/icons/Error.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/icons/Folder-item.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/icons/Message.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/icons/Question.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/icons/Warning.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/menu/Menu-arrow-disabled.png (deflated 6%)
adding: skin/classic/global/menu/Menu-arrow-hover.png (deflated 7%)
adding: skin/classic/global/menu/Menu-arrow.png (deflated 7%)
adding: skin/classic/global/scrollbar/slider/gif (deflated 2%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar/Bookmarks-toolbar.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar/Lighten.png (deflated 6%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar/chevron.gif (deflated 8%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar/spacer-lft.gif (deflated 11%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar/spacer-rit.gif (deflated 11%)
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla/toolkit/skin/win'
Unknown option: -
+++ making chrome /var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla/toolkit => ../dist/bin/chrome/toolkit.jar
File::Spec version 0.8 required--this is only version 0.6 at ../config/preprocessor.pl line 74.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../config/preprocessor.pl line 74.
Preprocessing of content/viewZoomOverlay.js failed: 2 at ../config/make-jars.pl line 346, <STDIN> chunk 2.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla/toolkit'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/mozilla'
sunbox%

I searched the forums for this error, but didnt find anything..
any ideas?

dirtbag

Post Posted December 31st, 2002, 11:36 am

I tried what cdn suggested above and wiped out my mozilla dir.. started over from scratch by downloading the entire thing from CVS..
did my configure.
then did the make and eventually got the following.

updating: skin/classic/global/tree/sort-asc.gif (stored 0%)
updating: skin/classic/global/tree/sort-dsc.gif (stored 0%)
updating: skin/classic/global/console/console-error-dash.gif (deflated 6%)
updating: skin/classic/global/console/console-error-caret.gif (deflated 4%)
updating: skin/classic/global/icons/close-button.gif (deflated 12%)
adding: skin/classic/global/customizeToolbar.css (deflated 41%)
adding: skin/classic/global/Preview.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar.gif (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/icons/Error.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/icons/Folder-item.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/icons/Message.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/icons/Question.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/icons/Warning.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/menu/Menu-arrow-disabled.png (deflated 6%)
adding: skin/classic/global/menu/Menu-arrow-hover.png (deflated 7%)
adding: skin/classic/global/menu/Menu-arrow.png (deflated 7%)
adding: skin/classic/global/scrollbar/slider/gif (deflated 2%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar/Bookmarks-toolbar.png (stored 0%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar/Lighten.png (deflated 6%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar/chevron.gif (deflated 8%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar/spacer-lft.gif (deflated 11%)
adding: skin/classic/global/toolbar/spacer-rit.gif (deflated 11%)
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/cvs/mozilla/toolkit/skin/win'
Unknown option: -
+++ making chrome /var/local/user/jason/mozilla/cvs/mozilla/toolkit => ../dist/bin/chrome/toolkit.jar
File::Spec version 0.8 required--this is only version 0.6 at ../config/preprocessor.pl line 74.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../config/preprocessor.pl line 74.
Preprocessing of content/viewZoomOverlay.js failed: 2 at ../config/make-jars.pl line 346, <STDIN> chunk 2.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/cvs/mozilla/toolkit'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/local/user/jason/mozilla/cvs/mozilla'
sunbox%

any ideas?

Return to Firefox Builds