firefox.exe can't be terminated

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
slavadir

Re: firefox.exe can't be terminated

Post by slavadir »

Hi.
Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm experiencing the issue with the new stable version 36 of firefox, which came out 2 days ago,
and this is the only place I found something about it.

When it happens, it works like this:
- Start firefox (even with -safe-mode)
- Try to browse sites (4 different sites, for example)
- The sites never actually load, even though my internet connection is perfectly fine (other browsers work)
- When I close firefox (normally), the process remains forever. There is no way to kill it except reboot.

It is not a deterministic bug - sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
It happened to me with safe mode as well.

I only use windows firewall as a firewall, but I do have avast installed.
Does anybody else still suffer from this issue? Has anyone post it to bugzilla yet?

[Windows 7 x86 SP1]
therube

Post by therube »

> The sites never actually load

If you reverted back to FF 35, does that work correctly.
FF 36 does prompt for firewall access, even with Windows Firewall.
Suddenly cannot connect

> There is no way to kill it except reboot

You can't kill FF with Task Manager?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

muhahaa wrote:Unkillable process is a kernel mode driver bug, e.g. a blocked I/O request packet (IRP). You can use Process Explorer to get the kernel stack (right click firefox.exe -> properties -> threads -> select the affected thread and click "stack"). http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx

Another option is to get Windows to blue screen (kill csrss.exe). WinDbg can be used to autopsy the kernel crash dump file (%windir%\memory.dmp).

If that's the case, isn't it a driver issue? User mode software shouldn't directly interact with the kernel.
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Try setting privacy.trackingprotection.enabled to false in about:config
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Why do you suggest that?
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Pixel wrote:Try setting privacy.trackingprotection.enabled to false in about:config

It's disabled by deault Bug 1043801 - Added tracking protection information/controls to the blocked content doorhanger
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
slavadir

Post by slavadir »

Well I switched to 35.0.1 just today, and it works fine so far.
About the bug, I tried to kill it using "taskkill /im firefox.exe /f". it said "successfully killed process bla bla...", yet nothing really happened.
That definitely sounds like a bug involving kernel mode. Maybe web shield of avast?

On a clean VM of windows 7, it works fine. I'll try to add programs I have on my own computer until the bug happens.
I can't test it on my own computer, because I need to reboot it each time and it's a headache :\
nicko23

Post by nicko23 »

Firefox 36.0.1 - same symptoms - after starting FF it run correctly for about a minute, no problems with opening pages. After that it just stops loading pages, the loading wheel is spinning for ever. Actually it doesn't even initiate new TCP connections.
After closing FF the process firefox.exe still runs in the background and can't be killed in any way (using task manager, taskkil in cmd, ProceXP, all run as administrator). Only one thread is running, for which checking the stack in ProceXP (executed as admin) doesn't work (don't remember the exact error, I already downgraded FF).
Restart of the whole system is needed.
After reverting to 35.0.1 it runs correctly. Something has been definitely broken in 36.0.0 or 36.0.1.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

What is your Anti-Virus and firewall?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

If it is a Norton+Trusteer issue apparently Trusteer have just released an update to fix the problem
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
PhunkyBob

Post by PhunkyBob »

Same problem here.

I'm using Avast and no firewall other than Windows' one.
(Windows 7)
yegor.iva

Post by yegor.iva »

Same problem here.
I'm running Win8.0,
antivirus/firewall - bitdefender
firefox build time - Thu Mar 05 13:52:26 2015 (version 36 I think, I'm not sure what is the exact version cause I already deleted it).
When I open page for the first time after reboot it can download 5% of page and than falls to endless loading status.
Process can't be killed from process explorer, Threads -> Stack doesn't work as well (Error msg: "Error accessing thread.")
The same problems with skype 7.0.0.102 appears at the moment when FF crashes.
I can't send or receive messages, can't kill process, and Threads -> Stack is not available as well.
I will try downgrade to FF 35.
The strange thing is it looks like I have this kind of problems only on my work network.
When I at home there wasn't such problems.
yegor.iva

Post by yegor.iva »

After downgrade to 35.0.1 looks like everything is OK
nicko23

Post by nicko23 »

And my antivirus is Symantec Endpoint Protection (managed by domain admin) which also controls Windows Firewall.
jms

Post by jms »

Same here, Win 7 prof, MS Security Essentials, FF 36 and FF 37
After restart from hibernate, FF has no internet connection. If I close it, it closes but process still runs.
After 2 minutes, it crashes, but a thread is still hanging in MSVCR120.DLL _get_flsindex
When I log out from my account and login again, process is still there. I have to reboot to get rid of it.

Also there seem to be an old memory leak which came back now. After using FF for a few days, the pictures on a web site disappear or start to move. I observed this already a year or so ago and it was fixed, but seems back now.
Last edited by jms on March 24th, 2015, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.