Mozilla's Servo Engine Is Crazy Fast Compared To Gecko

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
speciesx

Re: Mozilla's Servo Engine Is Crazy Fast Compared To Gecko

Post by speciesx »

Romani wrote: 2) They not yet build Servo for Windows. P
But you can build by yourself.
It's pretty simple, follow the build instruction from here: https://github.com/servo/servo

sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

speciesx wrote:
It's pretty simple, follow the build instruction from here: https://github.com/servo/servo

Keep in mind, its going to take an age and a day to compile. And that's if the current build isn't completely broken for Windows.
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

Omega X wrote: Keep in mind, its going to take an age and a day to compile. And that's if the current build isn't completely broken for Windows.
It took me maybe 30 min.
sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

speciesx wrote:
Omega X wrote: Keep in mind, its going to take an age and a day to compile. And that's if the current build isn't completely broken for Windows.
It took me maybe 30 min.
Last I tried it was about an hour and crashed like a drunk hobo. I suppose the compiler has improved a bit since.
Romani

Post by Romani »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:It's just very sad, because 94,8% of users are using Windows platform... ](*,)
Only 5,1% are MacOS users and 0,1% are Linux users. :-"
Actually Linux users is more like ~1-1.5%, not 0.1%, not counting Android.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Romani wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:It's just very sad, because 94,8% of users are using Windows platform... ](*,)
Only 5,1% are MacOS users and 0,1% are Linux users. :-"
Actually Linux users is more like ~1-1.5%, not 0.1%, not counting Android.
Where did you get this data that Linux users are 10-15 times more than shown in telemetry data? :-k
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

there's actually moire Linux Servers out there than Winbloze Servers . is the Telementary Data actually Accurate? prolly not

but lkets not take this THread OT
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

I'm at least talking about Firefox usage on different OS, so priorities should be clear for Mozilla,
not about some server OS, which is OT here.

Telemetry data is accurate, as it's deployed to 100% of Firefox users, except of course if they turn it off by themselves.

I''m just curious from where Romani get this data, to compare it in detail.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Android is Linux, it does use the Linux Kernel
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Same as Firefox OS, it's nothing new or top secret.
Virtualfox persona
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Android does use the Linux kernel, but its incompatible with GNU/Linux. Essentially Android is Android. Also, FirefoxOS used AOSP as a base so technically FirefoxOS was Android.
trustjmh

Post by trustjmh »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:Telemetry data is accurate, as it's deployed to 100% of Firefox users, except of course if they turn it off by themselves.
The users get Firefox from elsewhere, without telemetry. ie from the Linux distribution's package rather than downloaded directly from Mozilla.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

trustjmh wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:Telemetry data is accurate, as it's deployed to 100% of Firefox users, except of course if they turn it off by themselves.
The users get Firefox from elsewhere, without telemetry. ie from the Linux distribution's package rather than downloaded directly from Mozilla.
Distribution of the Firefox doesn't matter to telemetry from where Firefox was downloaded and installed.
Modified and customized versions of Firefox can't be branded as one per Mozilla policy (except Mozilla approval).

About which Linux distribution's packages with disabled telemetry are you talking about?
Virtualfox persona
trolly

Post by trolly »

I guess, the thread is a bit off topic now.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
avada

Post by avada »

speciesx wrote:

http://abload.de/image.php?img=s1b4szno2udm.png

I for one don't want to spend time with build at all. Just take peak at it to see how it works and what stat it's at.

Does anyone have windows builds lying around?
Romani wrote: In Mozilla they say about various bugs on Linux itself preventing them to implement that ant this, but its doesnt seem to bother them to do something about this.
Like hardware video acceleration. They say "they cannot use it on Linux due bugs". Fine, but why MPV can use it then? VDPAU, VAAPI - its all works. Even more, it was posible to use via GStreamer, but they was sooo smart so they removed GStreamer support.
WebSpeech component they work on is totally unusable on Linux because they doent bothered to actually get it really working and so on so on.
And there is a LOT more.
Sadly this shows mozilla's mentality in general. The browser is filled with buggy features, they just stop bothering to fix them if it's not too noticeable. It looks pretty anarchistic, where the devs keep working on things that interest them or are not to difficult/messy to deal with. And bugs just linger around for years, decades sometimes.