Build reqests

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
nilson

Build reqests

Post by nilson »

I am starting this thread to allow people to request builds optimized for certain processors.

I will try to do as many ot these as possible, and I'm sure that MadmanNova and others will help as well.

So just post what processor you are using if you would like an optimized build.
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

I can help (at least on my afternoon - mozilla.org + 8 hours) to build -Os --march=i686 build => PentiumPro and younger CPUs.

Anyone is interested ? ;)
MozJF
mtigas

Post by mtigas »

Hm, I've got automatic building, zipping, and uploading on Firebird and Thunderbird, with:

Code: Select all

-Os -march=pentium4 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -ffast-math -ffloat-store -fforce-addr -ftracer

Of course, there's other people doing P4-SSE2, like swalker and aebrahim. But anyways, whatever build I have automatically uploaded, you'll find it and the buildinfo for it here:

http://www.missouri.edu/~msa0288/MozillaBuild/

(For the time being. I'll get a different server space for myself, away from the university's network soon. Hell, I'm not even a university student, they just loaned me the account during a stay over the summer, so the account's probably gonna get purged in a few months. I really need my own hosting.)

The modification times are around the times that it was automatically checked out, built, and uploaded. If there's ever a problem, though, then the times'll be off because I had to manually upload it.
nilson

Post by nilson »

Are you on dialup?
mtigas

Post by mtigas »

DSL. 1500kb/150kb. So, I upload around 15kB/s. Takes around 5-8 minutes to upload one of the builds.
mtigas

Post by mtigas »

I think these builds would be good to standardize, if we had a bigger crowd using older systems:

1: "-Os -mcpu=pentium2 -mmmx -ffast-math -ffloat-store -fforce-addr -ftracer"
2: "-Os -mcpu=i686 -ffast-math -ffloat-store -fforce-addr -ftracer"

#1, runs on any CPU with MMX support. This includes the old Celerons and P2s that don't have SSE, and any early Pentium or Pentium Pro w/MMX.

#2, runs on any system, period. Optimized for approximately the Pentium Pro.

Note, "mcpu" tunes the code to the CPU, except for the instruction set. "march" restricts the code to a certain instruction set for a certain architecture, which makes it (supposedly) only run on that architecture. "march" implies "mcpu".

My old computer (now my brother's) is a Celeron 500mhz. It has no SSE support, so only the MMX flag would help. Hence, the #1 situation would be good for this. I'm not sure about the effectiveness of building #2--it depends on if we have more people running original Pentiums (without MMX).

Does the PPro have MMX? If so, then I think #2 would be even better to optimize down to "mcpu=pentium" or "mcpu=i586".

The problem with having all these GCC builds is the java problem. Make sure you indicate that Java doesn't work in GCC Win32 builds--preferrably in bold red letters. I hate having useless complaints.

I'm out for the night. My buildscript executes a Firebird build then a Thunderbird build at 12:15am (Central Time). I had them build simultaneously last night and it took around 100 minutes each--so I'm having it built one after the other this time. If you want a true nightly P4SSE2, you can check my build FTP space at around 3-5am Central. Of course, there won't be any smoketesting, and the builds aren't even guaranteed to work. (Although, it should check for mozillafirebird.exe and thunderbird.exe so the build should be complete...)
Last edited by mtigas on October 12th, 2003, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nilson

Post by nilson »

#2 wil run n any x86 system.

Also, you don't need any webspace. Grab Apache 2.0.47, configure it, and you should be good to go.
mtigas

Post by mtigas »

nilson wrote:#2 wil run n any x86 system.

Also, you don't need any webspace. Grab Apache 2.0.47, configure it, and you should be good to go.

I've done a webserver off my computer in the past. I don't like to, as it's horrendously slow anyways, for the client, and it uses up my time, resources, and bandwith. But I might, if I'm out of options. (Dunno when they're gonna purge my account, lol.)

I'm also looking for an excuse to automate my blog with something like MoveableType, thus needing a good host with PHP and such. I do it all by hand at the moment.

Good night all.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

As some of you may know, I do (pretty much) daily builds of Firebird for Linux. The standard optimization flags I use are:

Code: Select all

-O3 -mcpu=pentium4 -msse -mfpmath=sse

But I can adjust the flags if anyone needs a build tuned for his/her particular processor. :)
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Lost User 12105

Post by Lost User 12105 »

MadmanNova wrote:1: "-Os -mcpu=pentium2 -mmmx -ffast-math -ffloat-store -fforce-addr -ftracer"
2: "-Os -mcpu=i686 -ffast-math -ffloat-store -fforce-addr -ftracer"

Hear! Hear! : ) It's true that the most "open" space for optimised builds is at the low end, although if most people are using P4 or AthlonXP, that's naturally what you'd want to concentrate on. No doubt it's a good thing to have various people working at the high end too. Probably most people are a bit shy about requesting special builds (I sure am ; ) ), but even if you were able to make the above builds every once in a while when bugfixes made it worthwhile, it would be appreciated.
James

Post by James »

I would like to have some Firebird builds (such as the 0.7 release when it comes) made to support the Pentium MMX in .zip format only though, as I don't want to use the .exe builds if possible.

Yes I know its old and is only in the 133-266MHz range, but still.

Here is a link to info on the MMX
nilson

Post by nilson »

Is that a Pentium or Pentium Pro?
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

nilson wrote:Is that a Pentium or Pentium Pro?

IIRC Pentium Pro does not support MMX.
nilson

Post by nilson »

Does a Pentium?
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

nilson wrote:Does a Pentium?

The plain "Pentium" doesn't. "Pentium MMX" does. :)