Will OMTC be forever broken?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Aris

Re: Will OMTC be forever broken?

Post by Aris »

OMTC issues started to occur on Fx33 and are still present in Fx40. So who knows, if they ever get fixed.

All the reporting did not help, but OMTC could at least be disabled in Fx33-35 without side effects. In Fx36+ many web services started to crash Fx, if OMTC was disabled and now videos are unwatchable, if OMTC is disabled.
lhgamds

Post by lhgamds »

Rodze wrote:Does anyone here know what's the status on off main thread compositing (omtc)?

Will it forever remain broken on Windows?

Does anyone know if Mozilla is still trying to fix that problem?

Thanks for your attention.

PS.: I know mozillazine is not Mozilla, but asking here is easier than going to some unknown mailing list...

:? :? well... I've experienced this problems after upgrading to fx 37.
so, I changed some setting in the "about:config"
I changed "gfx.direct2d.use1_1" value from "true" to "flase"
after that, everything worked fine. :lol:
avada

Post by avada »

Grantius wrote:
blackwind wrote:Running 38 beta now. Turns out you can still disable OMTC, but it now takes HWA with it, making video choppy on even high-end systems.

Why not leave it enabled, and log any bugs you have so you can help get Firefox fixed...

Because they don't bother working on it? I subbmitted a bug related to omtc, but no-one did anything with it, nor with a bunch of other bugs.
Josa

Post by Josa »

Mozilla has way less people working on the Graphics team than the necessary.
Even Nicholas Nethercote (the memory expert) made a joke about how things are going: https://twitter.com/nnethercote/status/ ... 9497133056
Srap

Post by Srap »

Gotta love it, I wanted to take a look at a tweet about the state of the Graphics team and the browser was taken down by a graphics bug that emerged in Fx37 for me.
Sorry for my bad English. Even if there wasn't a mistake.
mayankleoboy1

Post by mayankleoboy1 »

Josa wrote:Mozilla has way less people working on the Graphics team than the necessary.
Even Nicholas Nethercote (the memory expert) made a joke about how things are going: https://twitter.com/nnethercote/status/ ... 9497133056

lol
graphics does seem undermanned. Benoit Jacob left mozilla. And Nicholas Silva works has started working more on FxOS...
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

This is the sort of corruption I've been getting since OMTC went live. Not as often as in the past and always on the chrome not content. It can be cleared by changing the window to normal or maximized. Note that the corruption color is always the same color as the title bar as set in Windows.

http://i.imgur.com/CN2NeQx.jpg
Last edited by DanRaisch on April 6th, 2015, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags removed to restore page formatting.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
6lobe

Post by 6lobe »

I get that same corruption along with other rendering issues without OMTC. They are also present on release builds on various configurations.

Firefox department at Mozilla really seems understaffed, they have loads of different projects but no quality assurance, bugs are piling up and getting into release builds. The latest releases have been really terrible. And theres really old simple bugs that arent getting fixed. Yet they keep adding more and more bloat that also have security/privacy implications, while they are building other new security/privacy protections into Firefox. Its like a random bunch of people that just do stuff and tear Firefox into different directions without any real picture as a whole.

Too bad the only real options on the browser market are Firefox/Gecko and Chrome(ium)/Blink. ](*,) I dont like Chrome and pals and I like Firefox less and less every day. Hypertext Transfer Protocol ("The Web") is becoming a bigger and bigger monopoly as they make it more and more complex.

/rant
veryslow

Post by veryslow »

avada wrote:
Grantius wrote:
blackwind wrote:Running 38 beta now. Turns out you can still disable OMTC, but it now takes HWA with it, making video choppy on even high-end systems.

Why not leave it enabled, and log any bugs you have so you can help get Firefox fixed...

Because they don't bother working on it? I subbmitted a bug related to omtc, but no-one did anything with it, nor with a bunch of other bugs.

That feel when a video showing a bug exposes another bug:

1. Open https://bug1116147.bugzilla.mozilla.org ... id=8542171
2. Wait until the video ends,
3. Press the play button,
4. Infinite throbber.
avada

Post by avada »

veryslow wrote:That feel when a video showing a bug exposes another bug:

1. Open https://bug1116147.bugzilla.mozilla.org ... id=8542171
2. Wait until the video ends,
3. Press the play button,
4. Infinite throbber.

:)
Cheekeh Munkeh

Post by Cheekeh Munkeh »

I'm seeing similar corruption, but on a Mac, with FDE 39. Never had an issue before.

39 has had the most issues of any recent version for me, plugin container crashes on Flash pages, after updating, quitting the app...etc.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

I've discovered that css code, usually via Stylish, that use the inset parameter for things on the tab bar, nav bar, bookmarks bar etc. seems to be a trigger for graphic corruption on these locations. Commenting them out seems to fix the corruption in my case.

Just a little food for thought.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
therube

Post by therube »

What is that particular code that you're seeing that does this?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

therube wrote:What is that particular code that you're seeing that does this?

Here's an example for you:

box-shadow: 4px 0 0 0 #ff9500 inset !important;
avada

Post by avada »

streetwolf wrote:
therube wrote:What is that particular code that you're seeing that does this?

Here's an example for you:

box-shadow: 4px 0 0 0 #ff9500 inset !important;

Also did you file a bug about it? If you point out something exact there's some chance they'll fix it.