Did Nightly 41 force E10s on?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
FloridaMatt

Did Nightly 41 force E10s on?

Post by FloridaMatt »

I was pretty sure that I'd turned it off on 40. But on 41 I tried to adjust my Ghostery options to no avail, and then saw E10s at the end of a tab I'd hovered on. Sure enough, E10s (now called "multiprocess") was on. I turned it off and after the restart Ghostery's options are working again.
Virtual_ManPL

Re: Did Nightly 41 force E10s on?

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

For some time e10s is forced on testers to make sure that they won't forget about this feature and bugs on e10s ;)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Right. The primary purpose of running Nightly ATM is to test e10s. If you don't want to test e10s, you should move to a different branch.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Right. The primary purpose of running Nightly ATM is to test e10s. If you don't want to test e10s, you should move to a different branch.

I don't agree and would appreciate it if you toned down the condescension. While the devs might be eager to test e10s at the moment, it is not up to you to decide what needs to be tested and what doesn't. There is a lot of value in testing that things still work without e10s especially during initial releases. There are many reasons of why someone would not be using e10s at the moment even on nightly. Just cause it works well for you, does not mean it works equally well for everyone else.

Turning on e10s for those on nightly not using it is a good idea to see if the reason people are not using e10s has been resolved or improved upon. That said, if there is a reason you're not using e10s or turning it off, make sure to report the issue if it hasn't already been reported or if new issue have cropped up in the meantime
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

I tested e10s. It failed. I submitted my feedback. Why should I continue to use it?
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

if you dont wanna use e10's just use ESRBranch.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Disabling e10s is easy, no need to change a version... ](*,)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Jadugar wrote:it is not up to you to decide what needs to be tested and what doesn't.

You are correct. It isn't up to me. Who said was? It's up to Mozilla and they forced the preference because they consider it important. Because it is. I will seriously never understand the attitude people get around here about using Nightlies as if they were stable builds. Nightly is testing, not for whatever bizarre personal reasons people come up with.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

you can use user.js to keep e10s disabled in every update.