What is Pocket?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
WildcatRay

Re: What is Pocket?

Post by WildcatRay »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
nwg wrote:What's sad is that they cut so many useful features such as the scope bar, small icons mode etc, to make the code leaner and easier to maintain.

You can only believe that if you've never looked at the code. The old way even with more options was *dramatically* simpler and easier to maintain than what they are replacing it with. Also just take a peek in Customization at all of those new icons. And "large" icons are available in the hotdog menu. Nope. They removed those things because they wanted to.

I think this sentiment is very likely on target.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

They removed them because they felt it was too much of a hassle to keep it working with the new, more complicated implementation. Which is consistent with what you said except for intent.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Nope. If you've followed theme development over the last 5 years, it's been painfully obvious that Mozilla has wanted to do away with certain aspects of themes and customization since before Firefox 4.0. I mean think about it... they stopped even shipping two sizes of icons 4 years ago... only to reintroduce a super large set of icons in Firefox 29. Also in 4.0 they restricted large icons to one toolbar and put wonky restrictions on text as well. Of course back then the excuse was simplification...
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/