MozillaZine

"Pocket: the feature nobody wanted"

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Post Posted July 13th, 2015, 5:09 pm

http://benjaminkerensa.com/2015/07/13/p ... ody-wanted

Surprisingly someone spoke up. I wonder how long before he's shunned for going against the grain.
Latest: Firefox/68.0 *ESR/68.0 - Mobile/68.0 - Thunderbird/60.8
Nightly: Nightly/70.0a1 - Mobile/70.0a1 - Daily/70.0a1

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted July 13th, 2015, 5:21 pm

If there is no financial gain for Mozilla then there has to be some scratch my back type deal done seriously the number of downloads for pocket would hardly make a statistical blip. If you look at the download numbers for themes et'c in the early days they had that number up in short order.
In the faint hope Someone from Mozilla read this then cut the BS you are not kidding anyone
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

ffextensionguru

Post Posted July 13th, 2015, 6:47 pm

I think too, most users don't understand that Pocket is a third-party service with their own Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (which I am sure are quite different than those of Mozilla). This isn't like an add-on for a third-party service (Photobucket comes to mind) where if you don't agree with their policies then you choose not to install the add-on.

mightyglydd

Post Posted July 13th, 2015, 7:06 pm

A Privacy Policy that Read It Later, Inc., not Mozilla, reserve the right to "amend" as they please....
#KeepFightingMichael

LoudNoise

Post Posted July 13th, 2015, 7:13 pm

If history is any indication, Benjamin Kerensa fought the good fight, ran smack-dab into the "don't worry. be happy" brick wall that Mozilla puts up when a stupid decision has been made and they are not about to retreat until they can pretend that it was just an experiment Either he has a new job offer or has a number of good replies to his resume.

Being shunned by Mozilla is a bit like being like being shunned by charismatic Quakers.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 14th, 2015, 11:10 am

This thread 18 months ago would have been 3 pages long at least by now. But since Australis came out in April 2014, Firefox has lost around 30% of its users.

Mozilla used to think that hostility to their strange ideas was bad, but people have to care to be hostile. These days they are seeing that total indifference is even worse.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Drumbrake

Post Posted July 14th, 2015, 11:27 am

ffextensionguru wrote:I think too, most users don't understand that Pocket is a third-party service with their own Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (which I am sure are quite different than those of Mozilla). (...)

That's the main concern IMHO: a (mostly useless and certainly not privacy-oriented) third-party service (furthermore not compliant with free software guidelines, as far as I understand) bundled by default in Firefox, by definition an open-source browser.

It has happened before with the DRM thing and the Cisco plugin, but this has to stop: people could always install addons and plugins if they wish so, but bundling this stuff in Firefox is another thing.

Speaking of Pocket, even the way they decided to implement doesn't look right to me at all: to disable it, you apparently just have to drag its icon back to the customization palette.
Since when this is a solid, surefire way to toggle off a functionality? And for good measure they are even talking about getting rid of the related about:config switches... why? :roll:

ffextensionguru

Post Posted July 14th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Drumbrake wrote:
ffextensionguru wrote:I think too, most users don't understand that Pocket is a third-party service with their own Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (which I am sure are quite different than those of Mozilla). (...)

It has happened before with the DRM thing and the Cisco plugin, but this has to stop: people could always install addons and plugins if they wish so, but bundling this stuff in Firefox is another thing.

Not like there was a huge demand for Pocket, was something like 220K installs which is less than 1% of the user base. I saw that Cisco Systems Plugin the other day and really don't understand what it even does or what DRM content it is suppose to allow. I was kinda under the impression most everything was either HTML5 or Flash based. Is Apple QuickTime still around, that use to be a surefire way to crash Firefox in the early days.

Drumbrake wrote:Since when this is a solid, surefire way to toggle off a functionality? And for good measure they are even talking about getting rid of the related about:config switches... why? :roll:

May be they think Malware is going to make a change the user is not expecting...oh wait that was the reasoning for getting rid of the new tab behaviour in about:config, that's stupid. ](*,) Further enhances the conspiracy Mozilla is getting some type of kickback (though they claim they are not, at least monetarily) from Read It Later.

KilliK

Post Posted July 15th, 2015, 6:26 am

But since Australis came out in April 2014, Firefox has lost around 30% of its users.

I doubt it. 30% is too big.

Omega X

Post Posted July 15th, 2015, 6:40 am

KilliK wrote:
But since Australis came out in April 2014, Firefox has lost around 30% of its users.

30% of its users, not 30% of the market. Firefox sits at around 16% which used to be closer to 28% at one point. So its easily approaching a 50% loss.

streetwolf

Post Posted July 15th, 2015, 7:31 am

A little OT but what browser have the Fx defectors been going to? Is it Google? I wouldn't use Google if you paid me but is it really superior to Fx? I recall using it way back when and found it slower than Fx. Has Fx become the new whipping boy on the block?
Intel Core i9-9900K@5.1GHz | Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER | Corsair 1000W PSU | Corsair H115i CPU Cooler | Corsair 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11GB | BenQ PD3200U 32" 4K LCD | 4-512GB Samsung 970 PRO M.2 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 480GB SanDisk USB Extreme900 | Windows 10 Pro | FIOS 1Gb

Grantius

Post Posted July 15th, 2015, 7:37 am

streetwolf wrote:A little OT but what browser have the Fx defectors been going to? Is it Google? I wouldn't use Google if you paid me but is it really superior to Fx? I recall using it way back when and found it slower than Fx. Has Fx become the new whipping boy on the block?

Moving to iPads and using Safari.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro

KilliK

Post Posted July 15th, 2015, 7:40 am

Omega X wrote:
KilliK wrote:

30% of its users, not 30% of the market. Firefox sits at around 16% which used to be closer to 28% at one point. So its easily approaching a 50% loss.

Firefox lost 150m users in one year? I very much doubt it.

JayhawksRock

Post Posted July 15th, 2015, 9:06 am

Browser Market - Users share change since Aug 2013
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser ... imeframe=M
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln

Omega X

Post Posted July 15th, 2015, 9:41 am

KilliK wrote:
Firefox lost 150m users in one year? I very much doubt it.

You should. Not sure where you're getting 150 million from.

I've double checked: Firefox lost 50% of its total peak userbase (using Statcounter as a base) from 32% in 2009 to 16% Now.

Firefox had 22% in 2012. Today its 16%, a 6 % loss. From April 2014 to now there's about a 2% loss. In 2012, Firefox had 450+mln users(according to Mozilla). 27mln have jumped ship since. Far from 150mln but its nothing to sneeze at.

Of course its not counting the amount of contributors that jumped ship since.

(BTW, hitslink shows a 3% loss from April 2014. Though their numbers have always been suspect.)

Return to Firefox Builds