False Virus Notification

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
josegotme

False Virus Notification

Post by josegotme »

I was downloading a folder from Sugarsync and it was stopped saying "there maybe a virus present." This is not the case. I was able to download it using IE11. What the hell is FF doing, FF us? Firefox 40 beta 9 There should be an about:config that can turn it off.
I found the answer: Tools/Options/Security: Remove the checkmark from "Block reported attack sites" and "block reported web forgeries." Recheck them after the download. FF needs to give the user an option to accept or reject the download, poor programming Guys. Let's get with it in beta 10
TheVisitor

Re: False Virus Notification

Post by TheVisitor »

pepegot1 wrote:I was downloading a folder from Sugarsync and it was stopped saying "there maybe a virus present." This is not the case. I was able to download it using IE11. What the hell is FF doing, FF us? Firefox 40 beta 9 There should be an about:config that can turn it off.
I found the answer: Tools/Options/Security: Remove the checkmark from "Block reported attack sites" and "block reported web forgeries." Recheck them after the download. FF needs to give the user an option to accept or reject the download, poor programming Guys. Let's get with it in beta 10

Those two messages are from the Safe-browsing that Mozilla uses from Google's list. I don't think I've ever seen those messages kick in mid-download.

Have a link to where you downloading the suspicious file ?
ffextensionguru

Post by ffextensionguru »

I'm sorry I don't see how those settings would have any bearing on this. That message is either coming from Sugarsync or your AV program. Furthermore, those options you described are enabled in the current release of Firefox 39 (and very likely past versions as well). FWIW Google Chrome has pretty much the same settings enabled so it is not a 'Firefox' thing.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
6lobe

Post by 6lobe »

ffextensionguru wrote:I'm sorry I don't see how those settings would have any bearing on this. That message is either coming from Sugarsync or your AV program.

Wrong. TheVisitor is correct.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

It's Google doing, just disable "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported web forgeries" in about:preferences#security.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

That did it!!