Urlbar dropdown mess

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
lithopsian

Urlbar dropdown mess

Post by lithopsian »

Are there any quick fixes for the dog's breakfast that passes for the autocomplete list on the urlbar? Frankly I don't need a line echoing what I type and telling me where I'm going to go, and I don't need an extra blob to let me configure stuff once in a blue moon. Discoverability is great, but shoving a big placard in my face every day is annoying. I couldn't see anything in the preferences (a hidden pref?). Maybe an addon? I'll resort to CSS if I have to.
toolong

Re: Urlbar dropdown mess

Post by toolong »

lithopsian wrote:Are there any quick fixes for the dog's breakfast that passes for the autocomplete list on the urlbar? Frankly I don't need a line echoing what I type and telling me where I'm going to go, and I don't need an extra blob to let me configure stuff once in a blue moon. Discoverability is great, but shoving a big placard in my face every day is annoying. I couldn't see anything in the preferences (a hidden pref?). Maybe an addon? I'll resort to CSS if I have to.

Do the settings in Menu > Options > Privacy > Location Bar offer you any help?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Try browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled false
And browser.urlbar.maxRichResults change 12 to 0
And browser.search.suggest.enabled false
and the settings in Tools>Options>Privacy at the bottom
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Try browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled false

Disables the whole dropdown. I'd like to keep the URL suggestions from my history.

browser.search.suggest.enabled

When this and the checkbox on the privacy tab are both checked then search suggestions appear in the dropdown. I have neither checked. The bulk of the dropdown contents are as always and as I want, it is just the new additions at top and tail that are pointless distractions.

and the settings in Tools>Options>Privacy at the bottom

Only history is checked. However I see more than history :)
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Well those prefs are all that I know... and I have no clue how they interact and work together... OH Well, wonder how many possible combinations there are :?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Ahhh ... back to one process. Everything smooth (-ish) again. I'm not sure there is any UI for these new parts of the dropdown, but I thought I'd ask in case I was missing something obvious, or someone else had already done the hard work of making them behave. Does everyone know the bits I'm talking about? The "Visit/Search" line at the top and the "search settings" grey bar at the bottom.
dao-g

Post by dao-g »

lithopsian wrote:The "Visit/Search" line at the top

browser.urlbar.autoFill, browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

dao-g wrote:

Bingo! unifiedComplete turns off the top line. Halfway there :)

autoFill controls something slightly different, whether a typed location is expanded in the urlbar textbox to a full domain. This has been around for a long time and I happen to run with it off, but I know it is a popular feature. The behaviour carries over to the new "unified" line on the dropdown if it is visible.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

dao-g wrote:

The search option is hideous I have no idea why it's there
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
PadaV4

Post by PadaV4 »

Well i find the HUGE "change search options" strip at the bottom much more hideous ಠ_ಠ
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

PadaV4 wrote:Well i find the HUGE "change search options" strip at the bottom much more hideous ಠ_ಠ

Exactly my thought. This is at best a one-off thing that should be able to be dismissed never to be seen again, once the user has been shown that there are configuration settings for searching.

The bar at the top could conceivably be helpful to some people, although to me it is just annoying.