Lost plugins

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
pepegot1

Lost plugins

Post by pepegot1 »

What the hell is Mozilla doing-jerking off!! Most of my plugins: Silver Light, Quicktime and others disappeared: Firefox 41 beta1 and beta 2. I reverted to 40 and all is well but, what's going on???
James

Re: Lost plugins

Post by James »

Were you Testing the Win64 builds of 41.0 Beta's ?

Only the Flash Player is white listed to run in the Win64 builds of Firefox 41.0+

So if you want to use other Plugins on Windows then use 32-bit Firefox and 32-bit Plugins. Note that Plugins are installed on system and not in Firefox.

A recent thread on this at viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2954549
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

Thanks a million. I did not know there was a 64 bit version available for download. Therefore, instead of looking, I just dumb downloaded the 64 instead of the 32. Thanks again!! All works well now.
James

Post by James »

There have been Win64 builds on the Beta channel since the 37.0b2 build. The Firefox 41.0 Release may be the first release to have Win64 unless it changes as it was briefly planned to have Win64 for 40.0 Release.
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

It's very odd that FF 64 cannot support plugins like Silverlight, Quicktime and other important plugins. Any idea when this will be possible? Who would use a crippled browser like that? They should wait until they can make a viable browser. I can see that there maybe problems with extensions but, with plugins that's odd, especially with 64 bit plugins.

/
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

pepegot1 wrote:It's very odd that FF 64 cannot support plugins like Silverlight, Quicktime and other important plugins. Any idea when this will be possible? Who would use a crippled browser like that? They should wait until they can make a viable browser. I can see that there maybe problems with extensions but, with plugins that's odd, especially with 64 bit plugins.

/

There are several long discussions about this, and short-answer: It will never be possible to use Silverlight and maybe even Java in any form since all browsers are killing off NPAPI Plugins in 64bit builds, and eventually 32bit.

EDIT: Silverlight discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2954549
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

So, what are you supposed to do when sites use these plugns? They change the world but, not in an organized uniform way. Too much me and little we.
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Yeah, it seems like weird policy to me too. Whenever they implement a change to the DOM and it ends up breaking a lot of websites, they revert the change. So why are plugins different? If anything it's harder to fix a website to not require a plugin than it is to fix it for some minor new behavior in the DOM or JS. I realize you can just stick to the 32-bit version, but that imposes other limitations. It seems unnecessarily frustrating.