forums.macrumors.com and firefox 41 beta 6

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Peterg2

forums.macrumors.com and firefox 41 beta 6

Post by Peterg2 »

Forums.macrumors.com has been a regular site for me for years. I am running windows 7 pro 64 bit and firefox 32 bit. Up until 41 beta I have never had a problem with this site. Now with 41 beta I am having flash crashes within a couple of minutes. I see the "not responding" message but no crash reports are generated by this. If I leave it running for a couple of minutes nothing changes and I go into task manager and kill off one of the plugin-container.exe processes (the one that is always showing CPU usage of 12-13% - the other one is showing zero usage). Why do I mention this site specifically? Because no matter what other sites I go to during the day - easily some 200 I do not get a crash like this.

I started with a new profile just in case and very selectively added extensions. That changed nothing. So I start up my new profile in safe mode and that does not change anything - I still get the "not responding" after a minute or two. Going back to 40 and no problems.

What have I done?: Uninstalled and reinstalled flash (the latest release). Installed the beta version (19.xx). No change. Unchecked flash safe mode. Unchecked hardware acceleration. Ensured that I am on the latest video drivers. Running flash as in "Ask to activate" works fine (I block forums.macrumors.com to use flash) but then I am prompted by so many sites to activate.

I did a search on forums.macrumors.com in the site feedback section and nothing.

Any ideas? I appreciate this is a beta but I am stubborn. To me, it seems something is wrong with forums.macrumors.com (new site interface since June this year) but before I posted there I expected someone to say to me to go somewhere here or not use a beta).
JayhawksRock

Re: forums.macrumors.com and firefox 41 beta 6

Post by JayhawksRock »

On WinXP I can enter and navigate that site with no problems. For me there is No Flash content on the page. I block nothing in this setup.
If I use https://forums.macrumors.com/ to attempt to force a secure connection it Fails with a warning.

Have you tried Firefox Safe Mode
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did try safe mode with the new profile and no change for me. As regards flash on the site, when I set it to "ask to activate" it asked me if it could use flash. Somewhere on the site it says that it uses flash for some functions.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peterg2 wrote:Running flash as in "Ask to activate" works fine (I block forums.macrumors.com to use flash) but then I am prompted by so many sites to activate.

Nope, just set that one site to 'Ask to Activate' and you'll be fixed -

Go to the site, left click the addressbar favicon (little picture at the left hand end) and select 'More Information' at the bottom of the popup that appears. Then set the Flash Plugin permission there and that will only apply to that one site.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

Thanks very much Frank Lion. I did not know this particular nuance of favicons and, doing what you suggested, appears to have fixed my problem. Greatly appreciated.