[WARNING] Nightly might break some add-ons

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
streetwolf

[WARNING] Nightly might break some add-ons

Post by streetwolf »

Be forewarned. I discovered an add-on breaker on inbound. See my bug report if this is why your add-on broke. As of this post it hasn't made it to Nightly.

1226869 – Bug 1182546 Breaks some add-ons

Some resources are now blocked by Bug 1182546 and require a contentaccessible=yes to be added to affected add-ons chrome.manifest.

This only applies to Fx45. The other builds will eventually get the offending patch through the normal propagation of builds.

***** UPDATE *****

Bug 1182546 is now on Nightly.
Last edited by streetwolf on November 24th, 2015, 10:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
LoudNoise

Re: [WARNING] Nightly might break some add-ons

Post by LoudNoise »

I am going to make this into a sticky and create a sticky in the extension dev forum pointing to it.

Kindly report such stuff in this thread.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Another issue reported before:
let and const compliancy breaks some add-ons.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2966543
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Quicksaver add-ons are broken by this patch. I contacted him and he has updated all his add-ons. At this point in time they are not available. You can always add the line to the add-ons manifest.chrome yourself. Here's all his add-ons: User Info for Quicksaver
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Easy fix for downthemall. If you extract and open chrome.manifest with Word just add contentaccessible=yes to the second line so it reads like this:

content dta chrome/content/ contentaccessible=yes
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

It's been reported that AdBlock Plus is also affected by this patch. You can add the line to ABP's manifest.chrome if ABP hasn't been updated yet.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Won't opening and editing an extension also break the required / soon to be required signature of the extension?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
Aris

Post by Aris »

Thanks for reporting this streetwolf. A few add-ons of mine are affected too.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The Tinsmith wrote:Won't opening and editing an extension also break the required / soon to be required signature of the extension?
Not in Nightly. Requirement will only stand in Beta and Release. Nightly and Aurora/Dev don't have the requirement so they can be used for testing extensions without modifications.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
toolong

Post by toolong »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
The Tinsmith wrote:Won't opening and editing an extension also break the required / soon to be required signature of the extension?
Not in Nightly. Requirement will only stand in Beta and Release. Nightly and Aurora/Dev don't have the requirement so they can be used for testing extensions without modifications.

I see. That does sound sensible.

Thanks for the information.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Aris wrote:Thanks for reporting this streetwolf. A few add-ons of mine are affected too.
Are CTR and/or CTB among them?
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Aris

Post by Aris »

CTB yes, CTR no.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Aris wrote:CTB yes, CTR no.
Thanks, Aris.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Tab Counter isn't working either. How do I add this to the manifest?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Aris

Post by Aris »

Grantius wrote:Tab Counter isn't working either. How do I add this to the manifest?
Open that add-ons chrome.manifest file and edit this line:

Code: Select all

content	tabcounter-morac	chrome/content/
in this:

Code: Select all

content	tabcounter-morac	chrome/content/     contentaccessible=yes
Make sure to delete the META-INF folder and to disable add-on signing or you won't be able to install modified add-ons.