[WARNING] Nightly might break some add-ons

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
TheVisitor

Re: [WARNING] Nightly might break some add-ons

Post by TheVisitor »

Anyone following all the chatter in the bug ? Looks like Bug 1182546 will be backed out later today until a 'better fix' for the problem and security can be worked out.

From the talk, it appears that adding the 'workaround' of contentaccessible=yes may create a data/security leak. I think they are talking about the security leak where the addon will allow a 'fingerprinting' leak in that you can be tracked from the addon leaking 'data'.

I'm wondering if perhaps the advise of modifying the addon to add the 'workaround' should be put on HOLD, until which time they back the patch that started this mess. I'm also thinking that those that modified their addon to 'work' should perhaps backout the workaround once the offending patch is backed out.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

TheVisitor wrote:Anyone following all the chatter in the bug ? Looks like Bug 1182546 will be backed out later today until a 'better fix' for the problem and security can be worked out.

From the talk, it appears that adding the 'workaround' of contentaccessible=yes may create a data/security leak. I think they are talking about the security leak where the addon will allow a 'fingerprinting' leak in that you can be tracked from the addon leaking 'data'.

I'm wondering if perhaps the advise of modifying the addon to add the 'workaround' should be put on HOLD, until which time they back the patch that started this mess. I'm also thinking that those that modified their addon to 'work' should perhaps backout the workaround once the offending patch is backed out.
:roll: #-o ](*,) :-"
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Nehemoth

Post by Nehemoth »

Any update?

Haven't installed new build since like a week ago

:(
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

— Leonardo da Vinci
mancode20

Post by mancode20 »

Latest nightly disabled all of my add-ons. Anyway to fix this?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

mancode20 wrote:Latest nightly disabled all of my add-ons. Anyway to fix this?
Nope... but you could install yesterdays build or wait for a respin
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
FloridaMatt

Post by FloridaMatt »

Speed Dial [FVD] seems to be broken in the latest nightly.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@mancode20
Add-ons that restore the version number are broken by latest Nightly. If you are using one of them, disable them (restore an older Nightly build first). If you are using CTR, you still can access options window and disable the version number option.
mancode20

Post by mancode20 »

I disabled the add-on, Add-On Manager Version Number 1.0.7, but the problem is still there. I have updated to the latest Nightly thinking that maybe it would be fixed, but no such luck yet. Will this be fixed in an upcoming update? How do I get my add-ons back? I probably wouldn't even use Nightly anymore, if I could get E10s to work in Beta, which I have also been unable to do. I set browser.tabs.remote.force-enable to true, but it's still not working. What else do I have to set?
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ mancode20 - Extensions devs need to fix it on their side. Use stable or ESR build.
Nightly is a pre-alpha build, where things can break.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@mancode20
I can not confirm your issue. CTR 1.4.6 version number option and "Add-ons Manager - Version Number" 1.0.7 work fine with latest Nighty builds. Make sure you test on a new browser profile to verify. Maybe another add-on interferes on your system.

mancode20

Post by mancode20 »

Turns out that's not the issue. The issue is that user styles are gone. I have Stylish installed, but my custom user styles are gone and the ability to even change user styles doesn't exist anymore. Have they removed them permanently?
Aris

Post by Aris »

Stylish is broken in Nightly. Use Firefox release, beta or developer edition, if you need Stylish.
mancode20

Post by mancode20 »

Will Stylish be fixed in Nightly? I hope so!
avada

Post by avada »

Aris wrote:Stylish is broken in Nightly. Use Firefox release, beta or developer edition, if you need Stylish.
What change caused the breakage this time? (Other addons might be affected)
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

avada wrote:
Aris wrote:Stylish is broken in Nightly. Use Firefox release, beta or developer edition, if you need Stylish.
What change caused the breakage this time? (Other addons might be affected)

Yes, others are affected it would seem from reading https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1220564 <- bug that broke Stylish

Please, NO comments in bug. Appears there is a work-around, but I have no idea what to do with the code that was posted on the AMO page - comments area.