[WARNING] Nightly might break some add-ons

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Aris

Re: [WARNING] Nightly might break some add-ons

Post by Aris »

mancode20 wrote:Will Stylish be fixed in Nightly? I hope so!
Current dev builds on Github are already fixed: https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/stylish
-> "Download Zip"
-> unpack
-> open "stylish-master" folder
-> zip content of that folder
-> move zip file into add-ons manager to install the new version
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Two download-related extensions, Download Status Bar 12.3.0.1-signed and Download Manager (S3) 3.19, got broken in Nightly on 07 Jan.

They still don't work with the latest Nightly (11 Jan).

Does anyone have a workaround, please?

Thanks.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

maybe 2 downloaders are trying to use the same native function at the same time ? Disable one, restart Fx and see what happens
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

JayhawksRock wrote:maybe 2 downloaders are trying to use the same native function at the same time ? Disable one, restart Fx and see what happens
Thank you for the suggestion, but I had each in a separate profile. They were, as far as I understand things, never actually in a position to "conflict" with each other.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
mancode20

Post by mancode20 »

Aris wrote:
mancode20 wrote:Will Stylish be fixed in Nightly? I hope so!
Current dev builds on Github are already fixed: https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/stylish
-> "Download Zip"
-> unpack
-> open "stylish-master" folder
-> zip content of that folder
-> move zip file into add-ons manager to install the new version
Through your link I was able to find an easier solution. I just had to download and install the newest Stylish 2.0.5b1 from this link. https://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/48357 Make sure xpinstall.signatures.required is set to false in about:config to make sure you can install it. So nice to have Stylish back again! Thanks!
avada

Post by avada »

Hi!

Does anyone know why MAF is broken on Aurora and central?
None of it's functionality is working. Even worse it breaks webpage saving completely

It can't be the let/const thing, right? Since it landed on central at v44 it should be on stable by now. And on stable/beta MAF works fine.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

More broken add-ons caused by this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1254752
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

As mentioned Stylish with the patch above is partially broken. When I click on 'Write New Style' or try to Edit one nothing happens. However, in about:support the 'Multiprocess Windows' entry count goes up every time you click on the stylish buttons I just mentioned. Normally when you exit the Stylish edit window the task is terminated however with the patch it never does so the count remains the same. When you exit Fx the Nightly bg task shows up in Task Manager.

I contacted Jason B about the patch but haven't got a reply back yet.

Fix is here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2994251
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
avada

Post by avada »

streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Indeed. I only had 2 that didn't work out of 24 add-ons so perhaps it's not that widespread. Of course if it stops a must have add-on from working then it's a big deal no matter if it's wide spread or not.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

avada wrote:So https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1293305 apparently broke a bunch.
I got pinged that my addon was broken because of this. It has a "for each" but I don't recall ever seeing any console warnings about it being deprecated. Turns out it was only deprecated in Firefox 51, hardly seems worth the effort.
avada

Post by avada »

Location Bar Enhancer broke.
I find only this instance of for each. Anyone knows how to fix it?

Code: Select all

for each (let button in aButtons) {
    let index = JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(i++));
    buttons.push({
      label: button.label,
      accessKey: button.accessKey,
      callback: function() {
        choiceSelected = true;
        try {
          timeoutChecker.cancel();
          timeoutChecker = null;
          notificationBox.removeAllNotifications();
        } catch (ex) {}
        aCallback(index);
      }
    });
  }
lithopsian wrote: Turns out it was only deprecated in Firefox 51, hardly seems worth the effort.
You mean fixing it? You'd rather have it broken?
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

avada wrote:
lithopsian wrote: Turns out it was only deprecated in Firefox 51, hardly seems worth the effort.
You mean fixing it? You'd rather have it broken?
No, it hardly seems worth the effort of deprecating something, updating the documentation and adding console warnings, none of which I saw because they didn't even hit release before they were completely deleted from nightly as a fairly brutal experiment to see who was still using it.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

A loop of "for each (let button in aButtons)" can be replaced by something like this:

Code: Select all

for (let property in aButtons)
{
    let button = buttons[property];
Slightly more clunky but equivalent and robust.

Depending on the exact situation, you may be able to just replace the for each ... in with for ... of. The for ... of construct also iterates over the values of the properties of aButtons, but it only works for certain types of object so you can't always just drop it in.
avada

Post by avada »

@lithopsian

Thanks. Though it looks like it wasn't broken by this. I did a regression test and it popped up Bug 1317947 - Upgrade Firefox 53 to NSS 3.29.

Ehh... They're breaking addons left and right in the past two weeks.