WARNING Firefox 64 bit and Flash player

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
arnoldsfirefox

WARNING Firefox 64 bit and Flash player

Post by arnoldsfirefox »

I have been using the 64 bit version of Firefox for several months and it has been a great experience. Last week I move from the Developers Edition to the Beta channel. While I was on the Developer Edition I avoided adding any plug-ins(especially the Flash player). If there were problems or bugs with the version of Firefox I was using I wanted as little third party software on the system as possible in case debugging was required. After the switch to Beta 43.0b8 I decided to give Flash Player a chance and see how it worked with a 64 bit browser. After the install of Flash Player Version 19.0.+. The problems started up almost as soon as the install was completed. The same old problems that it had before, extreme slowing down of Firefox, several tabs open at one time bog Firefox down such that I had to cancel Firefox. Large amounts of storage were used(in excess of 1.5GB), where the running without Flash Player, the storage usage was 350-500MB. Even when I went into Firefox options and requested that Flash player must request permission to run the problems persisted. As soon as I remove Flash Player from my system all problems disappeared and things went back to normal.

At this point I would warn everyone to be very careful about installing Flash Player until they address their problems or complete re-write the software. And for the sake of your system avoid Flash Player at all cost. There is nothing on the web that requires Flash Player that I can’t live without.

If there is a good replacement and supported by Firefox please let me know.

Thank you, and sorry about venting here but what are blogs for.

Arnold
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: WARNING Firefox 64 bit and Flash player

Post by malliz »

arnoldsfirefox wrote:
Thank you, and sorry about venting here but what are blogs for.

Arnold
This is not a blog
Did you try a new profile? If you are going to use Beta and experimental builds learn the basics
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
6lobe

Post by 6lobe »

That shouldnt happen. There is a new native sandboxing implementation for Flash in 64-bit Firefox, I wonder whether it could be the cause.

Could you try setting "dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.flash" to zero in about:config and see if the issue is fixed? And screenshot the values for the rest of "dom.ipc.plugins"?
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Flash 20 was recently released. Try that also.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

I've been using Flash with 64-bit Fx Beta and Nightly on 6 computers for many, many months, and I've never experienced anything like what you're describing. And I always use only the Flash beta. I can only remember having a problem once over the past year or so, and Adobe took care of it within a week or so.

I'm no fan of either Windows or Flash, but they work, and apparently not only for me.

If I remember correctly, you also had a rather strange problem installing Fx. I'd agree with Malliz and suggest you try a new profile.

I'm certainly not a very savvy beta tester in terms of "scientific" computer skills, but I've been doing it with Fx and Flash for several years, and I find both quite straightforward, stable, and simple to deal with. Your mileage may vary.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Epidomis

Post by Epidomis »

The only problem I have with Flash with 64 bit Firefox is that it doesn't work correctly on a few sites, I think there are still bugs with Mozilla's Flash sandbox, it was enough an annoyance for me to switch back to 32 bit Firefox. When it does work, it seemed to work slightly better b/c it didn't use Adobe's Protected Mode Sandbox.
arnoldsfirefox

Post by arnoldsfirefox »

I am going to start over, I need to learn how to work with my profile. Like recovering important data from old profile,how to backup and restore profiles and using profile manager.

by the way i did change about:config per the previous suggestion and i did a reinstall of Flash Player 20.00.235. things seamed to work better but after a while i did experience some slow down and i did get the Firefox Message "a webpage is causing Firefox to run slowly"

Over the years of using Firefox and even after converting to the 64bit version, I have done very little on nothing about my profile. I think i will start clean and see if this takes care of the problem. So for now i am closing this problem and after learning about working with and recreating profiles i will try again. This may take a few days.

thank you to all for your suggestion.

Arnold

P.S. to user 6lobe you wanted to see my about:config dom,jpc.plugins

dom.ipc.plugins.asyncInit.enabled;false
dom.ipc.plugins.contentTimeoutSecs;10
dom.ipc.plugins.flash.disable-protected-mode;false
dom.ipc.plugins.flash.subprocess.crashreporter.enabled;true
dom.ipc.plugins.hangUIMinDisplaySecs;10
dom.ipc.plugins.hangUITimeoutSecs;11
dom.ipc.plugins.parentTimeoutSecs;0
dom.ipc.plugins.processLaunchTimeoutSecs;45
dom.ipc.plugins.reportCrashURL;true
dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.default;0
dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.flash;0
dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs;45
dom.ipc.plugins.unloadTimeoutSecs;30
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Epidomis wrote:The only problem I have with Flash with 64 bit Firefox is that it doesn't work correctly on a few sites, I think there are still bugs with Mozilla's Flash sandbox, it was enough an annoyance for me to switch back to 32 bit Firefox. When it does work, it seemed to work slightly better b/c it didn't use Adobe's Protected Mode Sandbox.
You should try reporting bugs. No one is going to know about the incompatibility otherwise.
6lobe

Post by 6lobe »

I fyou want to keep your bookmarks and stuff when creating a new profile do a "refresh" from about:support.