High CPU Usage..in Firefox?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
mmoy

Post by mmoy »

This is a different layer of code than I'm used to working with as it's Windows interface code as opposed to decoding.
Dell E521 X2 5600+ MacBookPro 17'' 2.5 Ghz Penryn Dell M1330 2.0 Ghz Merom 4 GB Vista x64 Compaq r3000z AMD 64 3200+ (Win 32/64) PowerMac G5 1.8 Ghz MMOY-1.5 (OSX 10) Inspiron 8500, 4100, 4000, Dimension 2300 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz HP E6600 HP X2 4400+
n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon »

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/ocdsoms.cfm

60% CPU usage when scrolling down...

Deer Park Alpha 2 (Doesn't happen with official FireFox 1.0.6 - only reaches 30%)
nVidia Forceware 77.72 WHQL driver
nVidia GeForce FX5200 Card
Windows XP SP2 fully patched
2.60 GHz Northwood P4 CPU (512KB L2)
512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM

IE only reaches 30% CPU usage when scrolling down...
mmoy

Post by mmoy »

My experience is that the scrolling thing is a different issue. It used to be about 90% for me. I updated the drivers and it went down to 30% so I didn't worry about it any more. I have nVidia cards on both my Compaq r3000z and Inspiron 8500.
Dell E521 X2 5600+ MacBookPro 17'' 2.5 Ghz Penryn Dell M1330 2.0 Ghz Merom 4 GB Vista x64 Compaq r3000z AMD 64 3200+ (Win 32/64) PowerMac G5 1.8 Ghz MMOY-1.5 (OSX 10) Inspiron 8500, 4100, 4000, Dimension 2300 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz HP E6600 HP X2 4400+
Recall

Post by Recall »

n7Epsilon wrote:http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/ocdsoms.cfm

60% CPU usage when scrolling down...

Deer Park Alpha 2 (Doesn't happen with official FireFox 1.0.6 - only reaches 30%)
nVidia Forceware 77.72 WHQL driver
nVidia GeForce FX5200 Card
Windows XP SP2 fully patched
2.60 GHz Northwood P4 CPU (512KB L2)
512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM

IE only reaches 30% CPU usage when scrolling down...

Mmm 18% here max with scrolling.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
Harald.L

Post by Harald.L »

No problem here with scrolling this minh.nih.gov site (max 10%). I assume some of you have cleartype fonts activated, this was mentioned some months before to be a cause for slow scrolling issues. Btw, I have disabled "smooth scrolling" and "autoscrolling" and use a nVidia card on a 19" CRT screen without cleartype or any other font antialiasing.

The PowerSkater is really another issue, I get ~35% on this site, raising to ~90% when scrolling. And the futuremark forum gives me ~90% even when not scrolling.

Harald

nVidia Geforce FX5700 Ultra, nVidia Forceware 77.72 WHQL
Pentium III 850 MHz, 768MB PC100 SDRAM
Windows XP SP2, Intel BX Chipset
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Recall wrote:1. Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
2. In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab, and then click the Advanced button.
3. Click the Troubleshoot tab, and then turn down acceleration by one notch.

High CPU usage bug is gone
I tried this, it didn't seem to make any difference, CPU is still just as high while scrolling.

I'm not experiencing slow scrolling or any other problems from this, though, so I'm not worried about it.

100% CPU is not a problem if it's not causing any problems.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.2, Developer Edition 125.0b9, Nightly 127.0a1.
mdew

Post by mdew »

I've noticed espn.com (turn off adblock first) has got pretty bad when scrolling..
Stebs

Post by Stebs »

Started a similar thread with this Animated Gif in another German Forum (and Nightly Builds Forum here) about this, the Problem (high CPU% with this gif) has been verified to happen with:
  • Fx 1.03, 1.04, 1.06, DPA2 20050721
  • Athlon64, Athlon XP, P4
  • Nforce2, Nforce3, Intel® 865PE
  • 6800GT, Ati 9700 ProImage
  • Windows XP, Windows 2000
So it seems that this is not entirely related to Nvidia only, other people with Nvidia Cards apparently reported not having this Problem (but got no 100% sure Confirmation on this).
-We could definitely need additional reports of People with Graphic Cards other than Nvidia that see this Problem, and also People who dont have it.

As reported, disabling Bitmap and Cursor Acceleration fixes high CPU% Problem entirely, so its not important how high CPU% really goes (depends on Cpu etc.), just THAT it goes up....
Unfortunately disabling Bmp+Cursor Accel. is problematic with several Games (flashing Cursor etc.) so this not a workaround for everybody.

Recall wrote:I would submit this to Nvidia, but not entriley convinved they would accept this. Also not sure who to email.
Asked somebody (who works on 3D) in the Forum I mentioned about how to do this and he said that it is very hard (or impossible) for a simple End-User to submit a bug Report to Nvidia. Such a Report has to come from an Card-Manufacturer or a (Game) Developper. :(

BTW, I dont see high CPU with the 3 examples in #293222[Firefox]-High CPU usage and huge slowdown when viewing GIF files with transparency [Win], so this is WFM...

My gif-example is animated so it pobably does not belong to this bug. I think it also does not have any transparency. There are other bugs about PNG and Alpha etc. but does anybody know a bug (about animated gifs) where this belongs to? otherwise we should submit one... -Even if I dont think that there is the tinyest chance that this is going to be fixed for 1.5 -and after 1.5, Graphics Subsystem is gonna change quite a bit.
tombik

Post by tombik »

It is enough to open about:config.
With every version of fx the mouse gets caught at the headers of the columns.

So I don´t really wonder about other problems with high CPU problem.
Must be inside firefox, I´m sure...
Stebs

Post by Stebs »

Dont know what you mean with "the mouse gets caught at the headers of the columns".
I have no Problems in an about:config Tab/Window, maybe a Problem with an Extension?
I'm not sure either what your reported Problem has to do with Problems with animated Gifs...

Search for your problem in Bugzilla (and/or Post in the Daily build Thread) and submit a bug if it is really new.
tombik

Post by tombik »

You open about:config and move your mouse over the screen.
If you reach the headers of the columns the mouse do a little break so it is not a smooth movement anymore..
(Die Maus hakt einfach, wenn sie über die Header geführt wird)
has to do with Problems
here we are talking about animated gifs, in another thread about png, I talk about things from firefox itself, two weeks ago I opened by mistake a side with many Opera buttons in fx: absolute NO smooth scrolling possible ( http://nontroppo.org/wiki/CustomButtons Test scrolling on this page e.g.), in earlier times you couldn´t scroll easily in the extensionmanager window of fx ´cause of some small icon.png from the extensions, problems with big images on a website ..and so on and so on....should I have a look for more similar problems? ;)
All this problems are with images of every kind and sometimes with parts of the fx-own gui.

So, what I have to think as the conclusion?
Something in FX rendering must be basically wrong...this impression I have since using fx 0.7...and meanwhile I think it will never go away.
And all this are problems no other browser ever have had or has today - not in my experience.
Stebs

Post by Stebs »

tombik wrote:You open about:config and move your mouse over the screen.
If you reach the headers of the columns the mouse do a little break so it is not a smooth movement anymore..
(Die Maus hakt einfach, wenn sie über die Header geführt wird)
I dont have this Problem, the header simply gets an orange bar on its bottom when focused. (Ich kann hier beim besten Willen kein gehake feststellen). Never heard of this Problem and I dont think it's a common one, thats why I said to search for a bug about it (or file one), just to be sure that it's not a Problem with your Profile, an extension etc.
here we are talking about animated gifs
Yes, some animated gifs have Problems, but apparently not everybody has those Problems! -It is exactly the purpose of this thread to nail down the circumstances WHEN and for WHO those happen, simply saying "Must be inside firefox, I´m sure..." does not help much and could be even wrong...
in another thread about png,

Png with Alpha definitely had Problems, but some fixes where checked in and personally I am not able to confirm any Problems related to PNG + alpha any longer...
in earlier times you couldn´t scroll easily in the extensionmanager window of fx ´cause of some small icon.png from the extensions
That was caused by the same png + alpha bug I think, also gone
I talk about things from firefox itself
which I dont have -> could be related to a lot of things (also incompatible Themes etc.)
two weeks ago I opened by mistake a side with many Opera buttons in fx: absolute NO smooth scrolling possible ( http://nontroppo.org/wiki/CustomButtons Test scrolling on this page e.g.)
Just tested scrolling etc. on this site, found no Problem so far, scrolling was smooth, CPU% on normal 0-3%
problems with big images on a website ..and so on and so on

Never heard of Problems with big images (got a link?)
....should I have a look for more similar problems? ;)
Sure!
After all, finding Problems and then trying to nail them down is the best we non-programmers can do to help...
All this problems are with images of every kind and sometimes with parts of the fx-own gui.
So, what I have to think as the conclusion?
Something in FX rendering must be basically wrong...this impression I have since using fx 0.7...and meanwhile I think it will never go away.
And all this are problems no other browser ever have had or has today - not in my experience.
Seems you are a bit frustrated... Can undestand that, had I as much Problems with images, I would probably be a bit frustrated too... ;)
But instead of just saying "Something in FX rendering must be basically wrong" - which obviously is not the case, it would be better finding out what goes wrong with your own installation. -if you want we can try to find out (but maybe in another Thread /irc etc. could be in German too)
BTW. What Firefox Version do you use? -After all I am talking here about latest Nightlies since those are only ones that get such fixes, Fx 1.06 is Fx 1.0 only with stability + security fixes.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050730 Firefox/1.0+ ID:2005073006
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Stebs wrote:So it seems that this is not entirely related to Nvidia only, other people with Nvidia Cards apparently reported not having this Problem (but got no 100% sure Confirmation on this).

Well...yes. Maybe i'm among the lucky with nVidia cards installed with LCD Monitor and don't have this issues (knocking wood).
We could definitely need additional reports of People with Graphic Cards other than Nvidia that see this Problem, and also People who dont have it.

Yes, some animated gifs have Problems, but apparently not everybody has those Problems! -It is exactly the purpose of this thread to nail down the circumstances WHEN and for WHO those happen...

After all, finding Problems and then trying to nail them down is the best we non-programmers can do to help...

Yes, indeed. By providing some info's i'm thinking we could help the developer to recognize the actual issues or at least narrow it down.

Ps-@ Stebs...You're really reading my head ;)
Stebs

Post by Stebs »

Thanks ;)

BTW, totaly forgot to report my Configuration (I have high CPU with animated gifs)
6800GT (and 6600GT) with Forceware 77.72 + 77.76
Nforce2
Athlon XP 3200+
1 Gb Ram
CRT Monitor
Always latest Nightly
Windows XP Pro SP2 + later patches
tombik

Post by tombik »

@stebs: No, not frustated..it is more than letting out a sigh.
The Operasite above gives me very high CPU-usage on Moox 1.0.6, fresh profile, no extensions, Theme Apollo, ATI 9800PRO, WinXP SP1.
And because I´ve have the same problems a year ago with a whole other fx-version, many different extensions, other theme I´m not very motivated to search a needle in the haystack.
Using Firefox teaches you one thing: don´t anger , be patient. So I can live with that when once a month I´m in about:config.
You may say: without feedback this fault will perhaps never go away.
Sure, but I´m giving feedback in other cases but some things are like a miracle to me and I´m also too tired to think about that...

PS: Wie sagt man auf Englisch: die Maus ruckelt? ;)