[SOLVED] Need Quicken users to confirm a problem.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
streetwolf

[SOLVED] Need Quicken users to confirm a problem.

Post by streetwolf »

You can check out my problem at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1264016. Anyone else having this problem?
Last edited by streetwolf on April 18th, 2016, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
streetwolf

Re: Need Quicken users to confirm a problem.

Post by streetwolf »

Let me ask this question. When a file is downloaded via Fx's download manager it is placed in my Windows temp folder. It has an extension of .part. The .part is supposed to be changed to the correct extension. Anyone know how this is done?
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
toolong

Post by toolong »

A .part file is just that. Part of a whole file that has not or did not completely transfer.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

The Tinsmith wrote:A .part file is just that. Part of a whole file that has not or did not completely transfer.
A downloaded file starts out life as a part file when downloading but when it is finishes Fx renames the extension to what it should be. In the case with Quicken the part file gets renamed to qfx.xml where it should really be just .qfx. I'd like to know how Fx knows what the final extension is.
toolong

Post by toolong »

"What is a part file and how do I open a part file?"

http://www.openthefile.net/extension/part

One of many search hits.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

You're missing the point of my problem. I'll just have to wait for a response to my bug report.
therube

Post by therube »

You are opening the file directly (from the download dialog).
What happens if you save the file first, then open it?
I can download the .qfx file and save it in my download folder. Clicking on the file opens up Quicken with no problems. This is my work around.
Looking at my Windows Temp folder I see the .qfx file has an extension of .part.
I suppose that is expected.
That while the file "lives" in %TMP%, it should have a .part extension.
It is once the file as been saved, somewhere, "my docs" or where ever, that it looses .part (& should become) a .qfx.
Last edited by therube on April 14th, 2016, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

Appears that when you tell the download dialog to "open with" (directly) it actually saves the file, possibly renaming it from random.qfx.part to actualname.qfx, saving it in %TMP%, then opens it (the .qfx) in your wanted application. At least that's the way it looks like things should happen.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

Here is a .qif, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5BDHV ... tCX0E/view
Download

At that point, & before answering the download prompt, I have random_name.qif.part, in %TMP%

I tell it to 'open with' -> notepad.exe
FF then (automatically) saves it as "test_qif.qif", in %TMP%, & opens the file in notepad.exe

Notepad shows the file name to be test_qif.qif

Now if the "do this automatically for files like this file from now on" were enabled, not sure if anything changes or not?

I also have downloads set to 'always as me where to save files' (rather then automatically saving them in 'downloads').
(Didn't seem to make a difference when set to automatically save.)
therube

Post by therube »

the part file gets renamed to qfx.xml
Are you sure your download is actually a .qfx & not an .xml?
(You might be wanting a .qfx, but it would seem you're actually getting an .xml.)

Matter of fact, your first screenshot, https://bug1264016.bmoattachments.org/a ... id=8741134, says that it is an .xml, not a .qfx. (The second is a .qfx.)

Maybe .xml is a "hidden extension", & if you show file extensions, the file name will show as, 11850702-0154-e4f2-22ef-ac1015eea77.qfx.xml (not sure)?

Could my problem be the fact that an xml file is being passed to Quicken when it expects a qfx file?
I'm thinking that's the actual issue, that you are getting an actual xml file rather then your wanted qfx.
Open the xml in a text editor & see what it "says".
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

therube wrote:
the part file gets renamed to qfx.xml
Are you sure your download is actually a .qfx & not an .xml?
(You might be wanting a .qfx, but it would seem you're actually getting an .xml.)

Matter of fact, your first screenshot, https://bug1264016.bmoattachments.org/a ... id=8741134, says that it is an .xml, not a .qfx. (The second is a .qfx.)

Maybe .xml is a "hidden extension", & if you show file extensions, the file name will show as, 11850702-0154-e4f2-22ef-ac1015eea77.qfx.xml (not sure)?

Could my problem be the fact that an xml file is being passed to Quicken when it expects a qfx file?
I'm thinking that's the actual issue, that you are getting an actual xml file rather then your wanted qfx.
Open the xml in a text editor & see what it "says".
I know my problem is a strange one. Let's do a level set. If I just save the file instead of opening it it gets saved to my download folder as a .qfx file with the long name. That is completely correct. I can click on this file in File Manager and Quicken will open with any new transactions. The download window still says it's an XML file though. However, opening it also starts Quicken but because the file for some reason is changed to an .xml file Quicken fails to open it.

In both cases the file in my Windows temp folder is ccccccc.xml.part before I click on open or save. From what I read Fx is supposed to know the correct extension and rename the file. Doing a save it does change correctly, opening it it does not. Why save works and open doesn't is anybody's guess. Everything was working fine at least a month ago. Tried Fx45 and had the same problem. I have a call in to the tech people at my bank to see what they have to say.

Perhaps the problem is a MIME problem. If you look at my bug report you will see that QW.exe is associated with an XML file. But if this was causing the problem then why not when I save it unless the save doesn't use the MIME. I'm just guessing.
therube

Post by therube »

I see a ".qfx" is an XML file.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><?OFX OFXHEADER="200" VERSION="202" SECURITY="NONE" OLDFILEUID="NONE" NEWFILEUID="NONE"?><OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>0</CODE><SEVERITY>INFO</SEVERITY></STATUS> ...
therube

Post by therube »

This is what I got when downloading a qfx from http://www.capitalone.com.
It shows text/qfx rather then text/xml in your case.

<RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:text/qfx"
                   NC:value="text/qfx"
                   NC:editable="true"
                   NC:fileExtensions="qfx"
                   NC:description="qfx File">
    <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:text/qfx"/>
  </RDF:Description>

<RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:text/qfx"
                   NC:alwaysAsk="false"
                   NC:saveToDisk="false"
                   NC:useSystemDefault="false"
                   NC:handleInternal="false">
    <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:text/qfx"/>
  </RDF:Description>
Do you have another place (bank) to download a qfx from & see if there is any difference with that?
Last edited by therube on April 14th, 2016, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

therube wrote:I see a ".qfx" is an XML file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><?OFX OFXHEADER="200" VERSION="202" SECURITY="NONE" OLDFILEUID="NONE" NEWFILEUID="NONE"?><OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>0</CODE><SEVERITY>INFO</SEVERITY></STATUS> ...
What you listed is version 202 of OFXDATA. My bank uses version 102. Here's is a snippet of it:

OFXHEADER:100
DATA:OFXSGML
VERSION:102
SECURITY:NONE
ENCODING:USASCII
CHARSET:1252
COMPRESSION:NONE
OLDFILEUID:NONE
NEWFILEUID:NONE

I'm beginning to think the problem lies with my bank. Perhaps my bank is using Version 2 but screwed it up?
atlanto

Post by atlanto »

You could inspect Content-Type in Response headers on Tools->Web Developer->Network.
Your screenshot(quicken.png) indicates the Content-Type may be something related to xml.
(For good case(quicken.png), I'm not sure but the Content-Type may be application/vnd.intu.qfx or such.)
What Content-Type you received?

FWIW, this behaviour(adding extra extension) in a certain case is by design.
When the file extension(.qfx) is different from the content type extension(.xml), Firefox seems to add the content type extension. (maybe for a security reason....)
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... .cpp#l1407
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... .cpp#l2451
I can reproduce it on my local env.(but not text/xml content type)
The server should respond appropriate content type, otherwise the browser can behave oddly.(The browser must handle the content type correctly of course.)

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/atlanto/e/a17a308 ... 435ac8120a
(There is a workaround for this issue but it's not a topic on this thread.)
Last edited by atlanto on April 18th, 2016, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.