What addons do you use with Nightly as your primary browser?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
JOJ0

Re: What addons do you use with Nightly as your primary brow

Post by JOJ0 »

joeg wrote:
JOJ0 wrote:@joeg - check your error console ...
As far as I was able to find, there is no error console in Nightly anymore.

In Beta, I turned it on, and there were, as you said, CPOWs and other errors. To be honest, though, I don't have the technical background to understand what all this means. It appears that all the extensions are working OK, but beyond the ones whose functions can be clearly seen while using Fx, I have no way to know whether this is the case.

As for the previous question about memory usage, as I wrote, I really don't know how to check it meaningfully. Yes, I've looked at about:memory, but I don't understand the information I see.

However, even on my relatively weak IBM ThinkPad laptops running 32-bit Win XP with 2gb of RAM, when I use beta with all the extensions mentioned above, I haven't seen anything that looks like an obvious memory issue.
Strange for sure these are still with issues with e10s and nightly:

NoScript 2.9.0.11 - On the surface working as expected, on the low level still crippling Firefox performance.
Quick Locale Switcher 1.7.8.5.1-signed.1-signed - Generates error with crash of internal service, but it's not obvious that it is related to this you need to trace the error.
SmoothWheel (AMO) 0.45.8.20130519.3.1-signed.1-signed - How this is working in nightly when the WIP version I have which is newer doesn't ?

For memory and performance investigations I recommend:

Performance Reporter 0.1.1 Enabled - provides live data for top tabs and add-ons per resource usage.
Tab Data 0.5.10.1 Enabled - provides live data for memory usage of tab in the tab name.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

JOJ0 wrote: ... Strange for sure these are still with issues with e10s and nightly ...
Thanks very much JOJO. You clearly put both time and effort into formulating your reply.

My problem is that I'm not really very computer savvy (I'm sort of an advanced end user). On top of that, if anyone's interested, I'm going through some pretty serious health issues that really take a lot of energy and attention.

At some point I'll try to get it together to follow up, "But ..." - as Aragorn said in front of the Black Gate - "... it is not this day".

Thanks again.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
JOJ0

Post by JOJ0 »

I'm sorry to read about your health issues I hope everything will be OK in no time, keeping fingers crossed. If you use e10s just disable these three and keep using Firefox.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

JOJ0 wrote:I'm sorry to read about your health issues I hope everything will be OK in no time, keeping fingers crossed. If you use e10s just disable these three and keep using Firefox.
Thanks very much, JOJO.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

I currently don't use many extensions, and I find it interesting that most of the extensions I use aren't in the lists above. Not previously mentioned:

* keyconfig: I disable control-Q so I don't close Nightly with a quick attempt to hit control-W.
* Simple Form Fill: Some sites don't all form history to be used so I have a few strings saved.
* Social Fixed: Make Facebook less frustrating to use.

And I also have Image Zoom installed. That was mentioned above but I find it very useful and worth mentioning again.
Sabardeyn

Post by Sabardeyn »

These are all the extensions that I've got installed. Most are enabled and used regularly. Of the disabled extensions only DownThemAll is a "must have", the others simply interesting, but... //shrug//

Code: Select all

Enabled
  Adblock Plus
  Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
  BBCodeXtra
  BetterPrivacy
  Cookie Monster
  Custom Standalone Image Backgrounds
  Disconnect
  Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
  Flagfox
  FlashGot
  Greasemonkey3
  History Submenus II
  Image Zoom
  Link Alert
  Locationbar²
  Menu Icons Plus
  More Tools Menu
  NoScript
  OmniSidebar
  Tab Mix Plus
  Web Compat
  Zoom Page

Disabled  
  DownThemAll!
  KOLOBOK Smiles
  Lazarus: Form Recovery
  PasswordMaker
  Places Maintenance
  Print Edit
  Tab Group Switcher
  URL Link
Although I have not responded before today, the timing of the OP's question struck me because I've been steadily losing enthusiasm for Firefox and had just heard of a newly released browser (Vivaldi). When juxtaposed against changes in the availability and functionality of long established extensions, I have to consider whether Firefox is the correct browser for my current and future needs. Over the last 18 months or more the answer has been "yes, but..." -- with that answer becoming more hesitant over time.

I remain a Firefox user at present... but the little varmint's head has now been firmly placed on the chopping block.
Sabardeyn
Online infrequently, responses made accordingly.
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

I like to keep things running as quickly/smoothly as possible, so I try not to use more extensions than necessary. Here are all the ones I use across my profiles (I'll star the ones I find essential, i.e. have enabled on my slimmed-down work profile):

★ Adblock Plus — obv. Sites with ads can die.

• Element Hiding Helper for ABP — enabled as-needed for hiding site elements, like annoying divs. More convenient than writing the filter myself.

• DOM Inspector — enabled as-need to mess with the Firefox UI.

★ Download Status Bar — Better that the default download manager in practically every way. Still actively being developed, but it already has more features than the old Download Statusbar (but there's also "S3. Download Statusbar" if you just want a clone of the old one).

★ Gmail panel — Full-featured inbox toggle-able with a keyboard shortcut. Never liked pinning tabs, as they permanently consumed space on the tab bar and messed with tab switching.

★ Integrated Google Calendar — ditto.

★ keyconfig — To bind/rebind Firefox's shortcut keys.

★ Stylish — for styling Firefox and websites. I have some themes here https://userstyles.org/users/32099

• Scriptish — random scripts

★ Backtrack Tab History — When you open a link in a new tab, it retains its parent's history. For example, if you opened up a bunch of LL topics in new tabs, you could hit Back in any of them to get back to the topic list.
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin