Should I Report this in Bugzilla?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
FerchogtX

Should I Report this in Bugzilla?

Post by FerchogtX »

Hello fellas.

I just registered, after lurking around, I found pretty much interesting how you can have both Firefox and Nightly, so I did. While testing Nightly, I saw that now Mozilla is finally supporting Widevine CDM for DRM protected content, which is rather nice since it now enables HTML5 in Netflix and Clarovideo.com.

However, I encountered a lil' problem, that may be related to this two sites, or Firefox... because I'm undecided, I wanted to ask if it would be good if I reported this bug un Bugzilla or not: Basically, Netflix or Clarovideo still ask for Silverlight plugin (slow and sluggish) to display movies or any DRM content... now, the (suspected) bug may be that probably Nightly is not being recognized properly or something in this sites, because, if you change your user agent to Chrome (for example), you can play DRM content just fine with HTML5 (die Silverlight... DIE).

Should I report this to Mozilla or probably there is a fix for this issue?
I'm using latest Nightly, with all updates, I just enabled uBlock, User-Agent Switcher, Flash, Silverlight (that might be uninstalled soon), Office 2013 plugin and Widevine CDM.

My system (if this helps somehow):
AMD Athlon QL-65 (64 bit) 2.1 GHZ
ATI Radeon HD 3200 256 MB (Using 8.961.0.0 drivers)
Seagate Momentus II 7200 RPM drive

Now, I have a couple of settings added to nightly, which I list here in case it helps.

Code: Select all

user_pref("beacon.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.bookmarks.max_backups", 0);
user_pref("browser.cache.use_new_backend", 1);
user_pref("browser.customizemode.tip0.shown", true);
user_pref("browser.download.panel.shown", true);
user_pref("browser.download.useDownloadDir", false);
user_pref("browser.newtabpage.blocked", "{\"+FGfbQqQI6PtMPCLu5tZ7Q==\":1,\"er4xCOhSuEoh6/Q+OsASGw==\":1,\"GL/U56wfOWHf8qFLOKHAqg==\":1,\"u9HGFIRTUIfSseSxHucs+w==\":1,\"XN0gzX5CZdmIYOEKmV0GVA==\":1,\"W/gIdFEUuvYL0h/hGcIFwA==\":1,\"5dPX2t2Xtq7V1dnRJu5irg==\":1,\"fN+l9WzvM5iUCIvEhEOYEQ==\":1,\"9tceNcGZNJaLRBdK0eFk+A==\":1,\"FYEeuskufF8u8S5tvI0cAg==\":1,\"R51bkM6ct52lRLMACu5C7g==\":1}");
user_pref("browser.newtabpage.enhanced", true);
user_pref("browser.newtabpage.introShown", true);
user_pref("browser.newtabpage.storageVersion", 1);
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "about:newtab");
user_pref("browser.taskbar.previews.enable", true);
user_pref("browser.urlbar.suggest.searches", true);
user_pref("browser.uiCustomization.state", "{\"placements\":{\"PanelUI-contents\":[\"edit-controls\",\"zoom-controls\",\"new-window-button\",\"privatebrowsing-button\",\"save-page-button\",\"print-button\",\"history-panelmenu\",\"fullscreen-button\",\"find-button\",\"preferences-button\",\"add-ons-button\",\"developer-button\",\"ublock0-button\",\"action-button--jid1-kyxeacwua7bekqjetpack-useragentswitcher\"],\"addon-bar\":[\"addonbar-closebutton\",\"status-bar\"],\"PersonalToolbar\":[\"personal-bookmarks\"],\"nav-bar\":[\"urlbar-container\",\"bookmarks-menu-button\",\"downloads-button\",\"home-button\"],\"TabsToolbar\":[\"tabbrowser-tabs\",\"new-tab-button\",\"alltabs-button\"],\"toolbar-menubar\":[\"menubar-items\"]},\"seen\":[\"ublock0-button\",\"pocket-button\",\"loop-button\",\"developer-button\",\"action-button--jid1-kyxeacwua7bekqjetpack-useragentswitcher\"],\"dirtyAreaCache\":[\"PanelUI-contents\",\"nav-bar\",\"addon-bar\",\"PersonalToolbar\",\"TabsToolbar\",\"toolbar-menubar\"],\"currentVersion\":6,\"newElementCount\":0}");
user_pref("content.interrupt.parsing", true);
user_pref("content.max.tokenizing.time", 2250000);
user_pref("content.notify.backoffcount", 5);
user_pref("content.notify.interval", 750000);
user_pref("content.notify.ontimer", true);
user_pref("content.switch.threshold", 750000);
user_pref("devtools.theme", "dark");
user_pref("devtools.toolbox.host", "window");
user_pref("devtools.toolbox.previousHost", "bottom");
user_pref("dom.ipc.plugins.flash.disable-protected-mode", true);
user_pref("general.smoothScroll", false);
user_pref("layout.spellcheckDefault", 0);
user_pref("media.hardware-video-decoding.failed", false);
user_pref("network.dns.disablePrefetch", true);
user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server", 8);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining.aggressive", true);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", 16);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining.ssl", true);
user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);
user_pref("network.prefetch-next", false);
user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);
user_pref("privacy.donottrackheader.enabled", true);
user_pref("privacy.trackingprotection.enabled", true);
Some of this (that are placed in user.js so they don't get reset avery update) force H264 Hardware accelerated decoding (my GPU is blacklisted, even if it's cappable of decoding this kind of content... meh) or disable flash protected mode (it's silly and cause slowdowns), the rest simply accelerate browsing or just set my personal customizations (like no spelling check, or many stuff)

Let me know what you think.

See ya!
JayhawksRock

Re: Should I Report this in Bugzilla?

Post by JayhawksRock »

See this similar discussion first > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3003083
And maybe todays fixed Bugs just posted > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14592107
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
FerchogtX

Post by FerchogtX »

So... this means they fixed that, or that this is an issue related directly to those two websites? Sorry if I sound dumb, but I coudn't find that bug in the list of current Nightly patches, and taking in mind the first thread you show me, it only means Netflix and Clarovideo use a hardcoded way to detect which browser you are on (which sounds silly, because this prevents a perfectly cappable browser from accesing HTML5 content)...

Thanks for the info :D

Oh... I almost forgot... Is there a way to manually install the Widevine CDM plugin into Firefox 46 stable? I mean, if there are some about:config entires (besides the obvious gmp branch stuff) or hacks I need in order to be able to use it... Well, just if it's possible (I hope so)...
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

You are running the Nightly channel builds which change at least once a day with experimental code. What works today may not tomorrow and can have security holes any hacker can find in a heartbeat. Personally, I never use these builds for any important/secure browsing transactions... but each to his own.
I'm out..... not familier with that system plugin, sorry
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

JayhawksRock wrote:What works today may not tomorrow and can have security holes any hacker can find in a heartbeat. Personally, I never use these builds for any important/secure browsing transactions... but each to his own.
On the other side, Nightly gets security improvements ahead of (or with) the release build, and the daily updates and smaller population of users means the payoff of finding a Nightly-only security bug, developing an exploit, and putting the exploit on the web isn't high.

(Someone who finds a Nightly bug is better off waiting to see if it goes to release and then exploiting it. Unless they can put the exploit in mozillaZine or bugzilla.)
FerchogtX

Post by FerchogtX »

Well... seems that this only means I probably should report this to BUgZilla, just to see if this is a site related bug, and if Mozilla can make something with them so Firefox uses HTML5 instead of Silverlight.

Also, I was hopping I could probably install the Widevne CDM into stable, not a biggie really, I can wait for stable channel to realese a version with it. I wonder if stable 47 will include (downloaded of course) Widevine CDM :P

Thanks for the support guys :D
FerchogtX

Post by FerchogtX »

Just for the record, I reported this in Bugzilla, it's a site problem (They force Silverlight in Firefox, even if there is a Widevine CDM plugin in it), one of the developers (?) said they will talk with this sites to enable HTML5 playback. So, good news!

Also, it seems they had their doubts about Widevine working with either Netflix or Clarovideo, it was great news that the content was playable, even if it was with an user agent override. More good news :P

Thread here (In case you wanna lurk there):
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1270613

See ya!! :D