Fx->Browser->features->Hello and Co.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Fx->Browser->features->Hello and Co.

Post by joeg »

When I update via Help-> About Firefox (beta) / About Nightly, something "strange" happens.

With Nightly, every time I update, "Hello", "Pocket", "e10s", and something else appear in the "features" folder.

With beta, the "features" folder stays empty, except - I think - when there's a new version (e.g. 45 to 46, 46 to 47, etc.).

Is this "normal"?

Thank you.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
JayhawksRock

Re: Fx->Browser->features->Hello and Co.

Post by JayhawksRock »

I have found no way to remove those permanently.... If removed or renamed they will be replaced and trigger a complete Firefox install when Firefox is updated, which is every day in Nightly. Even hacking the API that does the download is not permanent.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
ashleylai87

Post by ashleylai87 »

No idea why Mozilla forces "Hello" and "Pocket" down our throats. I am okay with multi-process "E10S" though....

"Hello, the money loaded Pocket of our users"
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

ashleylai87 wrote:No idea why Mozilla forces "Hello" and "Pocket" down our throats.
A random thought : money?

Another random thought : backdoor/unknown security hole in those two?

Well, security holes in Hello are not really unknown : WebRTC Internal IP Address Leakage
there are interesting comments towards the end of the bug discussion.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Drumbrake wrote:
ashleylai87 wrote:No idea why Mozilla forces "Hello" and "Pocket" down our throats.
A random thought : money?

Another random thought : backdoor/unknown security hole in those two?

Well, security holes in Hello are not really unknown : WebRTC Internal IP Address Leakage
there are interesting comments towards the end of the bug discussion.

Rather than speculate or spread FUD I searched and found these.

"Save web pages for later with Pocket for Firefox"

[url]https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/sa ... irefox[url]

and

"Firefox Hello - video and voice conversations online"

[url]https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... online[url]

So? A cloud storage app for websites and a video chat program.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Hmmmm, I just updated beta and Nightly, and this time "Hello", "Pocket", "e10s" were replanted in both.

Oh well, ...
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

joeg wrote:Hmmmm, I just updated beta and Nightly, and this time "Hello", "Pocket", "e10s" were replanted in both.

Oh well, ...
JayhawksRock wrote:I have found no way to remove those permanently.... If removed or renamed they will be replaced and trigger a complete Firefox install when Firefox is updated, which is every day in Nightly. Even hacking the API that does the download is not permanent.

:D I guess you did not believe me... :wink:
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
joeg

Post by joeg »

JayhawksRock wrote: :D I guess you did not believe me... :wink:
I guess I expressed the original issue badly.

The point had nothing whatsoever to do with being able to get rid of the features permanently. My point was that I was experiencing one thing with Nightly and another with beta.

Tonight's updates indicated that either something has changed or my original observation was incorrect.

In any case, simply deleting the "features" from their respective folders is no problem.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

I hope you eventualy find and post a solution that 'sticks' thru a number of closes and cold starts during a day and share it with all who care....
joeg

Post by joeg »

Given my computer skills, I'd say I have a better chance of being reincarnated as Santa Claus.
:-(
ashleylai87

Post by ashleylai87 »

One could use CCleaner to disable firefox hidden extensions.....but I never know if those unneeded hidden extensions are really disabled.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

OK, so let us know when you have removed the two system .xpi files and they remain permanently removed after a restart and how it was done. Thanks .... BTW, the files are not hidden and exist in the Program files not the profile.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

How about removing all files in "C:\Program Files\Nightly\browser\features" and next stripping all write access to this folder?
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
ashleylai87

Post by ashleylai87 »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:How about removing all files in "C:\Program Files\Nightly\browser\features" and next stripping all write access to this folder?
Then firefox will keep on redownloading full package during auto-update.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

If download size isn't a problem, this could be some workaround.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.