Domain guessing broken in Nightly

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Nightly doesn't add .com, beta does (with same profile)

Post by joeg »

streetwolf wrote:Still doesn't work with a new profile. If I enter foxnews for example it will do a search with the default search engine which is Yahoo.
Thank you for your effort.

I think you have go into about:config and set "keyword.enabled" to false. If I understand things correctly, this turns the search function off in the address field.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

joeg wrote:
streetwolf wrote:Still doesn't work with a new profile. If I enter foxnews for example it will do a search with the default search engine which is Yahoo.
Thank you for your effort.

I think you have go into about:config and set "keyword.enabled" to false. If I understand things correctly, this turns the search function off in the address field.
Yep, that's what you have to do. I'm glad i have this feature again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Joe.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

streetwolf wrote:Yep, that's what you have to do. I'm glad i have this feature again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Joe.
You're very welcome, streetwolf. I'm very happy to have been able to provide a bit of help to one of the best participants in the Builds list.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

joeg wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:WFM in my old profile. I just typed "google.co" and it redirected me correctly to Google.
Thanks. How about if you only type "Google"?
It uses default search engine.
Also don't forget that setting keyword.enabled to false in about:config is only partial workaround, as if it didn't find the website with ".com" it will shown error instead of searching it with default search engine.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
joeg

Post by joeg »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:It uses default search engine.
As I've written, in order to stop the search function, you have to set keyword.enabled to false in about:config.
Virtual_ManPL wrote:Also don't forget that setting keyword.enabled to false in about:config is only partial workaround
What do you mean with a "partial workaround"; a partial workaround to what?
Virtual_ManPL wrote:... if it didn't find the website with ".com" it will shown error instead of searching it with default search engine.
You seem to be missing my point: Please try to understand that I don't want it to search with ANY search engine. I want the "domain guessing" function to work.

OK, an hour of testing has proven beyond a doubt (to me, at least) that it's NoScript (I'm using v. 2.9.0.11) - and only NoScript - that's breaking domain guessing in NIGHTLY. I've looked through all the options, but I wasn't able to find anything that might be related.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

P.S. Just to make this clear, whatever the problem is, it's only in Nightly; domain guessing works in Beta, even with NoScript enabled.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Contact the NoScript developer.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
joeg

Post by joeg »

streetwolf wrote:Contact the NoScript developer.
Thanks. I have.
joeg

Post by joeg »

In case anyone's interested, domain guessing works with NoScript enabled in Beta 48.0b2 (candidate).
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ joeg - partial workaround, as you had both "features" working in Beta, not in Nightly,
but good thing that you finally found the culprit which was NoScript, that's why I requested to try it with new profile.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
joeg

Post by joeg »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ joeg - partial workaround, as you had both "features" working in Beta, not in Nightly,
but good thing that you finally found the culprit which was NoScript, that's why I requested to try it with new profile.
OK, thanks.
joeg

Post by joeg »

I changed the name of this thread. :oops: