[Solved] AMO doesn't recognize my Nightly as Firefox anymore

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Ver Greeneyes

[Solved] AMO doesn't recognize my Nightly as Firefox anymore

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

I made the mistake today of restarting Firefox while LastPass was updating, and LastPass went poof (which then got propagated everywhere through Sync). Went to addons.mozilla.org to reinstall it, but it's telling me "Only with Firefox — Get Firefox Now!" instead of letting me install it! I can choose "Download Anyway" for the regular version, but I want to use the development channel which doesn't have that option (and anyway, it's the principle of the thing).

I checked with a fresh profile and it works, so something about my profile is messed up - but I can't work out what. I tried clearing my AMO cookies and that did nothing, and I checked that my user agent matches the fresh profile ("Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0"). In addition, both my current profile and the fresh one are using e10s, and both have the add-on signing requirement disabled.

Does anyone happen to know what AMO checks to determine whether the browser being used qualifies as Firefox?
Last edited by Ver Greeneyes on July 11th, 2016, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: AMO doesn't recognize my Nightly as Firefox anymore

Post by therube »

Is your post from a Profile where Lastpass will not install?
LastPass
URL & version?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Nevermind LastPass, it's working fine since I forced it to install (at least, version 3.3.1 is. Maybe the beta stopped working, but let's confine that to its dedicated topic).

It's AMO (addons.mozilla.org) that isn't working, regardless of the extension. The green "+ Add to Firefox" button instead says "Only with Firefox — Get Firefox Now!" - it doesn't acknowledge that the browser I'm using is Firefox (but only on my main profile, not in a fresh profile).

Edit: Interestingly, if I disable e10s, AMO works again. It doesn't matter for the fresh profile, so there must be some bad interaction going on.

Edit 2: I've tried installing all my add-ons in the fresh profile and configuring them the same as they are configured on my main profile. That profile still works fine with e10s enabled, my main profile still doesn't.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I had the same issue with AMO. I tracked it down to a file named "serviceworker.txt" in my profile. Once deleted, AMO started working correctly.
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Chris000001 wrote:I had the same issue with AMO. I tracked it down to a file named "serviceworker.txt" in my profile. Once deleted, AMO started working correctly.
Wow, that did the trick. Thanks!

I might file a bug about this, it's very strange behavior. Visiting AMO doesn't create a new serviceworker.txt either.
bastim

Re: [Solved] AMO doesn't recognize my Nightly as Firefox any

Post by bastim »

Hah!

Resurrecting my old account to figure out a long chain of debugging as to why the discordapp.com IM client wouldn't work, deduced down to platform.js returning 'null' as 'name' property, and eventually navigator.userAgent being effectively reported as, um, "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 /" on the 2016-07-11 build.

As documented here, works fine in a new profile, but my old profile did indeed get this state where the user agent read by JS wouldn't state Firefox or the version number.

And, again, renaming serviceworker.txt in my profile fixes the issue and reports navigator.userAgent correctly.

EDIT: reported it on bugzilla for good measure
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

bastim wrote:EDIT: reported it on bugzilla for good measure
Oops, I just opened bug 1286126 about the problem. Shall I add your additional information to my bug?

Edit: Added the information, and arai identified the regressing bug. Seems the same bug caused both problems.
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

I had this occur as well, in my case it was due to a redundant caps policy that was changed on a previous much older install of grease monkey.
therube

Post by therube »

Related, Bug 1170736 - AMO Non-Firefox Add-on Download Button (tracking).

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 /
So just what & why is the UA breaking (& with that, AMO)?
(Actually, AMO doesn't need the help of a broken browser UA to be broken itself ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript