What's the best way to manage a bug affecting my site?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
burleigh

What's the best way to manage a bug affecting my site?

Post by burleigh »

Hey, all. I'm familiar with Mozilla's development and bug-tracking process, and know that dropping a "bug" into bugzilla without a simplified case isn't likely to lead to progress for a while (the behavior is complex to describe and also hard to simplify). Since this bug affects a fundamental feature of our site, I'm eager to get hints about how best to manage it through the bug fix process.

Key thing is this: the bad behavior has come and gone and come and gone again in Nightly builds. I can provide build dates when the bad behavior has come and gone.

As of today, Nightly behaves well, but Aurora does not. But several weeks ago, the pattern was the reverse: Aurora was good, Nightly was broken.

What should I do?
DanRaisch

Re: What's the best way to manage a bug affecting my site?

Post by DanRaisch »

You might start by describing the "bug". Tough to provide any sort of recommendations without knowing what the issue is.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Maybe give us a link to the site if possible ?
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

Give us some more details and ask for help on simplifying?
burleigh

Post by burleigh »

bjherbison wrote:Give us some more details and ask for help on simplifying?
Fair enough, let's go.

Our site uses a menu tab in the upper right corner for much of its navigation. As a page's content (white background) is scrolled up, the menu tab's width decreases until it's a simple tri-bar icon fixed to the right edge of the view.

We can explore the "bug" using our Contact page:
http://www.law.indiana.edu/about/contact-us.shtml

Any of the tab's height that is horizontally adjacent to the content's white background ignores mouse events -- no hover, no click. Tab height above the top edge of the content's white background responds to mouse events as you'd expect. To illustrate with an image, mouse events on the tab below the red line are ignored, ones above the line are heard normally.

Nightly exhibited this behavior from at least late January until May 27, when the behavior changed (got better). Nightly resumed the bad behavior (I believe) on July 7 or 8, but Aurora was good for a while. I believe Nightly resumed expected behavior July 15th or 16th but I haven't done the downloads to get the exact date. I also haven't checked Beta.

My instinct is to believe this bug's got to do with stacking order, z-index, or events, or something in that realm. I used the build info to try to look for commits and their bugzilla items, but I'm now so far away from Mozilla's current tooling that I'm not sure I know what I'm doing. I just know that no commit I saw seemed clearly in the right neighborhood.

So that's what I'm doing -- looking for the right existing bug before I can say something useful.

Thanks for your willingness to help.
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

I'd suggest using mozregression. If you can pin down the exact commit that broke things (or fixed things), it'll tell you the component to use (the component of the bug that broke/fixed it) and who to CC on the bug (the person who wrote the patch and maybe the reviewer) so the right person will actually look at it. If this is fixed on Nightly right now, you can also ask them to uplift the change to Aurora. But if this keeps regressing, it seems likely that they don't have a testcase for it in automation (unless the recent fix on Nightly added one), so I'd also shoot for getting the right people to understand exactly what is going off the rails so they can either reduce a testcase from your webpage or write one themselves.
Are You A Wiiizard?

Post by Are You A Wiiizard? »

EDIT: Nvm
Last edited by Are You A Wiiizard? on July 20th, 2016, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Probably, this is #1271714 [Core:Layout]-css nav displayed via hover doesn't stay open when moving the mouse to the opened subnav.
And fixed in Night50.0a1, but not Aurora49.0a2 and Beta48.