Post by Mouse5 »

mightyglydd wrote:
-Arch- wrote: it uses Chromium Base ?
FAQ's. https://www.slimjet.com/en/faq.php
that clears that up. thanks for the link
mightyglydd

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by mightyglydd »

@There's a Portable version at their site too.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

mightyglydd wrote:FWIW, Slimjet's rather addictive IMIO, it's a greyhound fast, (Vivaldi is a slug (here) in comparison) somewhat customizable, has some neat features and uses waaaaaay less memory than any other browser I'm trying.
Works great on my Puppy Linux 'stick in wallet' OS's too.
See if your distro has it. I got mine from the great Pup Forum, they have a some real human beings over there.
Just installed Slimjet Portable... seems quick but it's still bare bones out of the box
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
impar

Post by impar »

mightyglydd wrote:FWIW, Slimjet's rather addictive IMIO,...
It makes sense to change from Firefox, because of lack of customization with WebExtensions-only in v.57, to a browser that also only has Webextensions?
Or I am missing something here?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

If all else is equal, SPEED becomes the deciding factor....doesn't it ?
@Hey, I'm just trying stuff...."forewarned is forearmed:" :)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mightyglydd wrote:If all else is equal, SPEED becomes the deciding factor....doesn't it ?
If all else is really unequal but speed is the goal, then on Linux this cannot be beat - http://www.dillo.org/

Granted the page layout is pretty grim and it doesn't support JavaScript, but if you want to look up something in 0.5 of a second - half of that is the startup time, the rest is the page loading! (as I sometimes do) then it's good. Very useful on those massive media sites or even Wikipedia if you're using Ctrl + F to find something quick. I also use this as my 'backup' browser to test if the Internet connection is OK, as the 'footprint' is tiny.

Not a likely candidate for your daily 'go to' browser though. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

I've got an old dillo_30p1.exe (Windows) if anyone wants.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Firefox57
https://webextensions-experiments.readt ... en/latest/
WebExtensions Experiments allow developers to write experimental WebExtensions APIs for Firefox. They can be used to prototype APIs for landing in Firefox, or for use on Nightly or Developer Edition.
I was afraid Tab Mix Plus and Session Manager would stop working in June when Nightly 57 is released but now it looks like they'll live a little longer :-k
Sorry for my poor English.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Thanks for the links.

The SeaMonkey/Thunderbird one, although it's only just appeared in ghacks, is actually just a 'news round up' of old stuff, i.e. it's using a 15 month old Mozilla announcement and then a 5 month old T/bird discussion and finally a statement in a 2 month old SM status meeting.

The link covers how 'Mozilla stated back then that it would support the Thunderbird team financially, with resources required for the separation, and with legal advice.' and how T/bird raised almost $180,000 in donations back last August or whatever...that sort of stuff.

For those who prefer their news somewhat 'fresher', this type of thing is (and was) announced 'live' at the time in the Thunderbird and SeaMonkey General forums.

As for the other 2 links, I'm probably not best suited to comment, as I do have a certain bias on that. Don't get me wrong, I genuinely applaud the effort and commitment that goes into doing things like that, it's just that over time you 'see things' and just know that I don't fancy using them. That doesn't mean other people shouldn't, of course.

I do genuinely feel for the Cyberfox guy, lot of effort went into all that. But yeah, it's a tough game and the guy's decision to prioritise his own wellbeing over this browser stuff was the right one, I reckon.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

yeah iv'e noticed that ghacks does post old out dated News from time to time. but yeah i dunno if thats New News about Cyberfox as i never used it. or Waterfox, never used that either
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

-Arch- wrote:some may wanna Read this https://blog.nightly.mozilla.org/2017/0 ... issue-12//
Thanks! My favorite bug so far:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1256472
There is definetely something wrong with session restore right now because "Open all in tabs" works MUCH faster. I guess that's because background tabs are restored in the parent process instead of the content process. I hope this bug will improve session restore performance.
Sorry for my poor English.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

This is just me popping some links from related threads here, for future reference and to make them easier to find in future -

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14733413

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14730004

Incidentally, like most Stickies on forums, the most relevant and interesting stuff is always in the first 2 or 3 pages and that's the case with this one. After that, people can either endlessly discuss the same old stuff over and over again or else just bring up other vaguely related stuff. Here, we're doing the latter.

I think all I would add to the early stuff written is to point out that there might be the odd exception to the general position. For example, content changing legacy (means the existing ones) extensions may well be able to be converted to WebExtensions, but the particular extension author will decide that they don't want to do that. Conversely, although Mozilla have stated that the UI (called chrome, somewhat confusingly) APIs are done as much as they want them to be done (policy decision) it's possible that they might do a token exception...or might not.

userChrome.css is going for sure and logically, using Mozilla's faux justification for doing so, that would suggest that so will userContent.css. However, I predict that userContent.css (probably renamed to style.css) will actually remain, simply because Chrome based browsers have that and Mozilla is besotted with 'Chrome parity'.

In other words, like everything in life, when it comes to anything happening in the future you can only be 100% certain about 90% of a situation. Certainly, it will not be a 'good time' for existing Firefox users who currently use extensions and themes. If you come across Firefox users who tell you different, my tip is to ask them first what extensions and themes that they currently use. In my experience, they'll either vanish or admit that they use almost none or already know that 'their ones' will be converted to WebExtensions. It is a frailty of the human condition to be dismissive of the concerns of others about things that don't affect them personally. ;)

So, if you're fresh to this thread and wondering why there seems to be not much going on, it's because you're reading it from the wrong end. Try Page 1 and take it from there. :)