Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
GHM113

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by GHM113 »

I can't install ABP WebExtension from this page because of network error: https://downloads.adblockplus.org/devbu ... usfirefox/
xpinstall.signatures.required set to false, I tried to download .xpi and install it from hard drive, still no luck. Could anyone help, please?
Sorry for my poor English.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Did you changed the "xpinstall.signatures.required" to "false" in about:config, as it wrote?
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Moving to Builds as this discussion is more about pre-release versions for now. As we get closer to release of a production build that _actually_ kills non-web-extension extensions off, a "what to do about it" discussion, i.e., how to deal with the growing pains thread can be created in Support or General similar to what was done for Australis.

As this thread has become a mixture of topics, the new theme stuff can either be split to a new thread (which will be messy, probably), or the thread title should be changed to represent more or less what this has become.

Thanks.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:Did you changed the "xpinstall.signatures.required" to "false" in about:config, as it wrote?
Yes, that pref was set to false but the addon didn't appear in about:addons after I tried to install it from the hard drive. I've already found a solution: extract .xpi using WinRAR, type about:debugging - "Load temporary addon", select any file in the extracted folder. ABP installed normally after that, I therefore conclude ABP WebExtension is not idiot proof [-X
I also did some testing: AdBlock Plus WE is still ~50% slower than uBlock Origin. And NoScript is 40% slower than uMatrix, Gorhill is a wizard of optimization =D>
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

no he isn't, he just doesn't do half the work that ABP does....
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

squall_leonhart wrote:no he isn't, he just doesn't do half the work that ABP does....
afraid he is. just have a look how bad ABP is. google it. if Gorhill doesnt do half the work ABP does, then who does it for him?

can a Mod TRIM this Thread, its going off topic with this Ublock V's Adblock crap
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

This guy claims WebExtension Experiments will provide all the functionality that will be lost after XUL is deprecated:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... s/dg9h6k0/
However, Experiments will be available in Nightly only. What do you think: will we see addons developed exclusively for Nightly?
Last edited by GHM113 on April 15th, 2017, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

GHM113 wrote:This guy confirms WebExtension Experiments will provide all the functionality that will be lost after XUL is deprecated:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... s/dg9h6k0/
However, Experiments will be available in Nightly only. What do you think: will we see addons developed exclusively for Nightly?
Just came to talk about this. I suspect we'll see quite a few addons become nightly only and with enough usage the APIs will get pushed to RTM to facilitate their release to a wider audience.

I know that QuickSaver has been frustrated by the transition to e10s and now WebExt, but I'm hoping that once this news reaches his ears, he'll reconsider his retirement and resurrect Tab Groups.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

GHM113 wrote:This guy confirms WebExtension Experiments will provide all the functionality that will be lost after XUL is deprecated:
No he claims that WE will do that. Personally I think he's telling porkies
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

malliz wrote:No he claims that WE will do that. Personally I think he's telling porkies
Agreed. "Claims" is a better word here, fixed my post.
celtic_superhero

Post by celtic_superhero »

Seeing only some customization hater in that reddit thread - nothing else of value otherwise or something which shows that Mozilla still cares for features and choice
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

GHM113 wrote:This guy claims WebExtension Experiments will provide all the functionality that will be lost after XUL is deprecated:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... /dg9h6k0//
The guy is talking out of his backside, if he claims that.

I would have thought that people, especially those from the USA lately, would have finally cottoned onto the fact that there are people around who will tell you exactly what you want to hear.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Frank Lion wrote:The guy is talking out of his backside, if he claims that.
According to Mozilla wiki, he is right: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Firefox57
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

GHM113 wrote:
According to Mozilla wiki, he is right: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Firefox57
:-k hmm, perhaps it's a language thing.

Read my lips, this -
WebExtension Experiments will provide all the functionality that will be lost after XUL is deprecated
...is unrelated to this, on your ages old link which we all knew about -
This document is to clarify on the myriad of choices for loading extensions in Firefox and what will happen in Firefox 57.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

GHM113 wrote:
That page doesn't say that at all to me. All it does it tell me which types of extensions I can run in Fx 57, and the short answer is, not a legacy extension or a complete theme for that matter. I don't see anything about webextensions or experiments having all the same abilities as today's crop of legacy extensions.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.