Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Lurtz

Re: Changes to Extensions in Firefox 57

Post by Lurtz »

mightyglydd wrote:
Inside Mozilla, CEO Chris Beard and his team are preparing to outmaneuver Google’s Chrome browser. The battle begins in November, with their release of Firefox 57.
https://www.cnet.com/special-reports/mo ... le-chrome/
No doubt Google are quaking in their boots :roll:
Seems to be off-topic here.

I don't think Mozilla is so naive as to think they will overtake Chrome. But I think it's good they're amping up their marketing effort. In the end every percent market share counts to help Mozilla's mission.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Lurtz wrote: Seems to be off-topic here.
How so, the Fx 57 Extension situation's mentioned.
I don't think Mozilla is so naive as to think they will overtake Chrome. But I think it's good they're amping up their marketing effort. In the end every percent market share counts to help Mozilla's mission.
Uh-hu, outside of the Mozilla Cone of Silence I doubt most users, particularly Extension and Theme creators who helped made them billionaires and have now been shafted, gives a toss about a nutty Cult's political and religious "mission".
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

Not gonna argue with demagogues that can't accept change in an ever changing system like the Web.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mightyglydd wrote:https://www.cnet.com/special-reports/mo ... le-chrome/
No doubt Google are quaking in their boots :roll:
Surprisingly candid, I thought -

http://franklion.co.uk/MB.png
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

@avada - palemoon users start to mirror AMO.
from my view - legacy extensions are no longer allowed for upload on amo, maybe only when private, not sure.
i can try to make mine (private only) to flag compatible with v57, currently all work with v54 and v55beta. (v55 RC on the run)

when v55 is final the early v57alpha is available - final test for anything, 12 weeks to go.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Lurtz wrote:Not gonna argue with demagogues that can't accept change in an ever changing system like the Web.
I fully endorse change, like removing Beard, Baker and her Lawyer..do you ?

@Nice one Frank! Right on the money..no pun intended =D>
frg

Post by frg »

Personally if you want to make a statement now just switch to ESR 52. 57 is coming and classic extension removal will not be stopped.

This all reminds me of OS/2 vs. Windows. Technology does not always give you market share. Momentum usually does and if you want to grow and at the same time p*ss of your power users I can tell you what happens in the end.

I still wonder what they need 1200 people for? I don't see this manpower used for Fx. A (too) large chunk is probably there to make sure the right forms are filed :)

I am also failing to see what Rust is really good for. Might do some things better than other langauages but is it that much better? Looking at the code I took an immediate dislike to it. Much too abstract for simple yokels like me. XUL filled a niche but does Rust is able to go beyond one? I don't think so.

FRG
frg

Post by frg »

If you want to make some fun of the legacy system just set extensions.legacy.enabled to true (should be the default) and add your favorite extension to extensions.legacy.exceptions. No more yellow warning. I doubt they will be able to port everything over to Web Extensions in 57.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

frg wrote:I still wonder what they need 1200 people for ?
Mozfest crowd 'extras' and Badge Making ? :)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

So it begins...
DownThemAll! stopped working in latest Mozilla Firefox Nightly 57.0a1 (2017-08-03) (64-bit).
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
impar

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by impar »

The Tinsmith wrote:My suggestion? Look on AMO for replacements.
Some addons still dont have repalcements, others never will.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:So it begins...
DownThemAll! stopped working in latest Mozilla Firefox Nightly 57.0a1 (2017-08-03) (64-bit).
Multi row tab bar in Tab Mix Plus is already semi-broken. I hope toolbar API won't get cancelled ](*,)
Sorry for my poor English.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:So it begins...
i use the Nightly one at the moment, it seems to be more stable than when i previously used it , it used to Crash my Browser eevery update, now it dont , but it soon will be dead , i really dont know why the Author of DTA made 3.1 Nightly when he said he wont be porting it over as a WE
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

ICQ5 wrote: i really dont know why the Author of DTA made 3.1 Nightly when he said he wont be porting it over as a WE
He probably has a life and has tired of Moz BS.....
@Your UA indicates you're using the Beta.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

mightyglydd wrote:
ICQ5 wrote: i really dont know why the Author of DTA made 3.1 Nightly when he said he wont be porting it over as a WE
He probably has a life and has tired of Moz BS.....
@Your UA indicates you're using the Beta.
yeah prolly,
your quick mightymouse
i was using the Alpha awhile ago but deleted that, unsure atm whether to install the flatpak version of the Nightly or the normal version from Mozilla or just wait till November