Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
mightyglydd

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by mightyglydd »

Can't wait to see the follow up to the classic wind tunnel tested curved tabs Geek TV video..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

mightyglydd wrote:Can't wait to see the follow up to the classic wind tunnel tested curved tabs Geek TV video..
at the moment i dunno if im looking forward to any New crap from Mozilla.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

-Arch- wrote: i'll more than likely use Chrome as Default but keep Firefox on the side
I've noticed that apologists often seize on that point, as though they've revealed some 'magic bullet' of illogicality.

In reality, we do it very often in real life. For example, say, there was Coca Cola and there was some identical 'own brand' of Coca Cola, same price, same taste, but with added Coke or something. So, you'd buy the 'own brand' version. However, if they dropped the 'added value' ingredient, then it's pretty obvious you'd swing onto the real Coca Cola, simply because you'd know exactly what you're getting and that they, being the original, would have far more experience of doing it right. I'm sure you can think of a better example, but you get the drift... it's one of those 'All things being equal' type things.

Aping your competitors is never a great idea, as it suggests/confirms in the minds of consumers that the competitor must be doing something right/desirable, even if the consumer cannot pinpoint what that might be.

Selling revolves around the concept that your competitors are always offering an inferior/less suitable/less applicable/less value product and it's always been that way. It's called 'your edge'.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

So then what is it called when you put your own product out there & make it an inferior/less suitable/less applicable/less valued product than it's always been ;-) ?

(Myself, I never play to win. I play to come in second :-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:So then what is it called when you put your own product out there & make it an inferior/less suitable/less applicable/less valued product than it's always been ;-) ?
In commercial organisations that's called 'Bottom Line', which might mean paring costs to the bone and trading off the brand name (Cadbury/Mondelez) or dumbing down a product aimed at attracting more and less demanding consumers, i.e. the low hanging fruit. That type of thing. Perhaps not ethical, but at least vaguely understandable.

So...browsers...if the main 'non-profit' Open Source browser is not going to look after the interests of the individual, of the disabled, the vision-impaired, the disadvantaged and yes, the small, but demanding minority of high end tech users..then who the hell is? Certainly not the upfront commercial browsers out there.

Mozilla Firefox these days needs to ask itself -

#1. Just how many more user choices can be removed from this product before our appetite is finally sated?

#2. Just how much more money do we want to make from this, how many more Macs can we buy, just how few donations to other Open Source projects do we want to make...before the worship of the Golden Calf will finally be enough for this Open Source project that was built off the backs of volunteers?

As you may tell, I don't 'do' the 'needs of the many' stuff, I do the needs of the individual, every individual (except loonies), and always have. In my view, those needs are best met with empowerment through knowledge, access to full, fair information without bias, and near unlimited individual choices.

No bad thing being an individual, you know - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHbzSif78qQ :P
Last edited by Frank Lion on March 25th, 2017, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Remember when Firefox was the FUN Browser ?
Nowadays every 'update' is a depressing 'what have they fudged up now', head banging regression...
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I'd like to know why some sites refuse to load & display correctly or even to allow you to log in using a "slightly older version" of Firefox.
Same extensions & settings involved in the exercise using the older v & the latest one.

^, Yep. It was always a good time choosing an extension/theme or 2 to "make Firefox your own, personal browser."

But now?
It seems as though "they" are taking all that away from us "lowly users."
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Last edited by Mouse5 on March 26th, 2017, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

LIMPET235 wrote:I'd like to know why some sites refuse to load & display correctly or even to allow you to log in using a "slightly older version" of Firefox.
Same extensions & settings involved in the exercise using the older v & the latest one.

^, Yep. It was always a good time choosing an extension/theme or 2 to "make Firefox your own, personal browser."

But now?
It seems as though "they" are taking all that away from us "lowly users."
might be better off to use SeaMonkey dude ? ESR 2.49 based on Firefox 52 ESR
NanM

Post by NanM »

therube wrote:"mozilla" has always been red ;-).
http://img.clubic.com/04650684-photo-lo ... dation.jpg
Designed for Netscape by the uniquely gifted Shepard Fairey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard_Fairey
A print of that poster has been moved to my pantry hall of infamy, along with posters from a few other dead communal flare-ups which I won't list - to keep on topic.
Given that it no longer resembles my Moz/ Firefox, it's good to see the
bland maroons in charge of the new show have extinguished most giant
lizard iconography around their net stuff; leaving it up might let people
think there was any artistic sensibility left in their ranks.

Code: Select all

moz://a
for a brand? Not a whisper of the name's etymology remains.

Frank Lion wrote: [...]like any good journalist, he protects his sources, even if it's only from adverse comments in the Comments Section. :P
Nice one!
NanM

Post by NanM »

Frank Lion wrote:
[...] I do the needs of the individual, every individual
Not taking away from your intent to point out that empowerment through access is the best way to
participate in society....
I think the needs of one individual have always been a big factor in the slow grind of Moz towards engulfing by goog\e. but in a really twisted way of course:
Ben Goodger, who did the massive clean-up that got 0.8 up off the canvas, very soon after signed up with gggg// even though he kept calling himself Firefox big Engineer. Gg;e was never stupid about who to hire.
Goodger always pushed the simplification of the Fx UI.
Goodger is the head of 'experience' at Chrome and all of his simplicity push is evident there.
The problem with Fx and simplification for that particular individual was that so many more individuals got up and running with the power of Goodger's code revamp (oh ironies abounding) in the extensions community that it became the big red lizard of ggle nightmares.

It's taken more than a decade for ggl/moz co to run all those uppity individuals down and it took kneecapping AMO to do it.

I'm proud of the resistance offered, but nothing beats a gun to the head - or the patella, ay.

Just using a Chromium to see what the UA looks like. So I can get it into a SM .config
efox99

Post by efox99 »

Looks cleaner and more attractive than Australis. Firefox is getting better and better.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

efox99 wrote:Looks cleaner and more attractive than Australis. Firefox is getting better and better.
how so?
celtic_superhero

Post by celtic_superhero »

efox99 wrote:Looks cleaner and more attractive than Australis. Firefox is getting better and better.
So, the loss of all special features is making Firefox great? I would say the opposite is the case. Turning a feature rich browser into a limited edition may be dream of Mozilla and all simple users out there, but it's a slap into the face of every being with at least half a brain ;)
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

It looks like Microsoft Edge with a 2007 round edge drop shadows.