Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Mouse5

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by Mouse5 »

mightyglydd wrote:
-Arch- wrote:thats true but its still good to be warned that this could be it.
No offense, no it's not, it's a waste of time and energy, we've been through this before, over and over, graffiti on freeway overpasses is more interesting.
If Mozilla had a clue and got outside, rather than kick them in the head, they would have hired/consulted some rather talented UI/Extension/Themer guys and gals around here. :)
@ Do we really need to see that THREE times! ](*,)
people Browse Websites, there ( the screenies ) are bound to be anywhere else. whats the diff if there posted here or not?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

mightyglydd wrote:it's a waste of time and energy
Be seeing you..
Last edited by mightyglydd on April 1st, 2017, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

-Arch- wrote:
@ Do we really need to see that THREE times! ](*,)
people Browse Websites, there ( the screenies ) are bound to be anywhere else. whats the diff if there posted here or not?
Probably because there's not much point to keep posting 3 year old 2014 screenshots and Google group discussion about something that never happened?

Aris only posted it as an example of mockups not making it into the actual Release.

:)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
celtic_superhero

Post by celtic_superhero »

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/06/mozill ... atibility/

Read the comments of Poe: the perfect example of a next-generation user for which Mozilla only does care today. No wonder customization is no priority for them anymore.

Also the follow-up comments of that Lestat guy are amusing :D
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

still not 100% sure what my plan is, but im toying around with Chrome atm as there i really dont think will be much if any difference, only real Addons i depend on atm are DownthemAll ( which will be Dead afaik ) an im not sure about the Download Youtube Video's as MP4, i asint heard if thats gonna be a WebExtension but i could prolly say it wont if Google are blocking those Extensions

Now You: What's your plan if some of your must-have add-ons won't be available when the WebExtensions exclusive version of Firefox launches?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi -Arch-,
Well, in my case, I'll continue to use v20, fully configured to my liking or occasionally go with or v50 or maybe v52.
(Can't configure these to display the same as v20.)
&, as long as all my "normal" sites function, that's where I'll stay.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
celtic_superhero

-Arch- wrote:still not 100% sure what my plan is, but im toying around with Chrome atm as there i really dont think will be much if any difference, only real Addons i depend on atm are DownthemAll ( which will be Dead afaik ) an im not sure about the Download Youtube Video's as MP4, i asint heard if thats gonna be a WebExtension but i could prolly say it wont if Google are blocking those Extensions

Now You: What's your plan if some of your must-have add-ons won't be available when the WebExtensions exclusive version of Firefox launches?
Safari on my Mac, Otter browser on Windows and as supporting browser Maxthon 5 and on mobile here Brave
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I believe that Maxthon sends info home.
Was a thread or post here a little while ago about it. (Can't find it ATM.)
I un-installed it soon afterwards. JIC.
WIN 10 is bad enough.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
celtic_superhero

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
I believe that Maxthon sends info home.
Was a thread or post here a little while ago about it. (Can't find it ATM.)
I un-installed it soon afterwards. JIC.
WIN 10 is bad enough.
Not caring for this i use it only for few pages which do not work on otter - not storing passwords there
impar

Post by impar »

-Arch- wrote:Now You: What's your plan if some of your must-have add-ons won't be available when the WebExtensions exclusive version of Firefox launches?
Test it. And hope is still allows for some UI personalization, change buttons size, add buttons for tasks, move hamburger to left, ...
If it doesnt, find a browser that allows UI personalization. If there is any...
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi -Arch-,
Well, in my case, I'll continue to use v20, fully configured to my liking or occasionally go with or v50 or maybe v52.
atm im seeing more Fedora linux users opt for Chrome over Firefox, but having said that i do find Chromes bookmarking easier for me, ( as in easier to get a bookmark ) ( show bookmarks bar ) i hate this bookmarks Hamburger Crap
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

impar wrote:
-Arch- wrote:Now You: What's your plan if some of your must-have add-ons won't be available when the WebExtensions exclusive version of Firefox launches?
Test it. And hope is still allows for some UI personalization, change buttons size, add buttons for tasks, move hamburger to left, ...
If it doesnt, find a browser that allows UI personalization. If there is any...
i think we all use Firefox for its Extensions, but my main Gripe is POCKET . i will never use it, . but once my other 2 extensions are gone there will vbe no need for me to keep using Firefox sad to say, unless i use it to see or keep up with development of it, but it wont be my main browser of choice
celtic_superhero

-Arch- wrote:
LIMPET235 wrote:Hi -Arch-,
atm im seeing more Fedora linux users opt for Chrome over Firefox, but having said that i do find Chromes bookmarking easier for me, ( as in easier to get a bookmark ) ( show bookmarks bar ) i hate this bookmarks Hamburger Crap
Seriously... Why Chrome usage in general... Chrome is the most disgusting of all browser and Blink is horrible too.

On Windows even Edge or IE-11 is more tolerable, and that actually says much!
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

About Maxthon...
[url=http://forums.mozillazine.org/posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=14735443][b]Virtual_ManPL[/b] wrote:[/url]Nice reading about Maxthon is here - “I will be very surprised if this comes to light”, viz uninstall Maxthon ( It's in Polish language, so translate it to yours by translator ;) )
or you could also read official report from here - https://exatel.pl/advisory/maxthonreporten.pdf

tl;dr - using Maxthon isn't safe
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

-Arch- wrote:... only real Addons i depend on atm are DownthemAll ( which will be Dead afaik ) an im not sure about the Download Youtube Video's as MP4
You do know those are both SM compat without any conversion, right?

I don't use the first one, but I use YT MP4 Downloader ver. 1.3.3.1 all the time.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)