Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Mouse5

Changes in Firefox 57

Post by Mouse5 »

Last edited by Mouse5 on October 3rd, 2017, 5:44 pm, edited 43 times in total.
marty60

Re: Old Firefox Add-Ons Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by marty60 »

Why can't they wait until version 60 and let 59esr keep using the current regime? Just a guess but I would bet 57 is a starting point and like previous announcements such as mandated signing it gets moved up.

If not, then it looks like I'll either be stuck on an expired 52esr or move on to Pale Moon or another fork. Can't use Chrome precisely for the reason that I wish Firefox would not go this route, I've got too many valuable addons that are not compatible with WebExtensions.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

marty60 wrote:Why can't they wait until version 60 and let 59esr keep using the current regime? Just a guess but I would bet 57 is a starting point and like previous announcements such as mandated signing it gets moved up.

If not, then it looks like I'll either be stuck on an expired 52esr or move on to Pale Moon or another fork. Can't use Chrome precisely for the reason that I wish Firefox would not go this route, I've got too many valuable addons that are not compatible with WebExtensions.
personally i think its a good idea as it'll cleanup the Dead Extension UserBase, but my guess is you'll be able to install Chrome Extension in Firefox also once Firefox57 etc is released, at some point they have to kill off XUL so they might as well as do it from 57 onwards
Baldape

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by Baldape »

Lets just hope a lot the developers will update there add-ons to work with version 57. :-k Such as Noscript.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Baldape wrote:Lets just hope a lot the developers will update there add-ons to work with version 57. :-k Such as Noscript.
Noscript probably will, as the guy tries really hard to make a living from it.

All the other developers I've talked to, basically, cannot wait to step off this particular treadmill and do something more useful.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Baldape

Post by Baldape »

Frank Lion wrote:
Baldape wrote:Lets just hope a lot the developers will update there add-ons to work with version 57. :-k Such as Noscript.
Noscript probably will, as the guy tries really hard to make a living from it.

All the other developers I've talked to, basically, cannot wait to step off this particular treadmill and do something more useful.
You mean most developers will jump ship? :?:
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Baldape wrote:You mean most developers will jump ship? :?:
:idea:

@Related.. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14721955
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

is it worth stickying this thread? untill Firefox 57 comes out
Last edited by Mouse5 on April 6th, 2017, 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I followed the link as much as I could, but some of it is too technical. Aren't they all signed now?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Baldape wrote:You mean most developers will jump ship? :?:
I'm not going to go over the same thing again and again. Read this and understand it - http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/26/classi ... um=twitter
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks, that was a more understandable article. I'll concern myself with it when it happens.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

-Arch- wrote:
marty60 wrote:Why can't they wait until version 60 and let 59esr keep using the current regime? Just a guess but I would bet 57 is a starting point and like previous announcements such as mandated signing it gets moved up.

personally i think its a good idea as it'll cleanup the Dead Extension UserBase, but my guess is you'll be able to install Chrome Extension in Firefox also once Firefox57 etc is released, at some point they have to kill off XUL so they might as well as do it from 57 onwards
"Dead Extension UserBase". What the heck is that?

When this happens Fx will be dead and many of us will not be able to remain with it. CTR will cease to exist (Aris has a very eloquent reply to a user regarding this on his CTR page at Addons site). NoSquint will cease to exist. I want CTR as what is the point of Fx without CTR? I must have NoSquint and, so far, the extensions meant to take its place are poor.

The pathetic excuse for doing this is that Fx is too slow currently. My Fx45.5 ESR is EXTREMELY fast. The slow browser is Vivaldi even with its ability now to properly fully load all tabs on start. Chrome browsers are slow. Fx, Sea Monkey, and Pale Moon are very fast. But "fast" is NOT the most important criteria anyway. If a browser is "slow" then it is probably due to either spyware on the user's system or cheap systems with not enough CPU or RAM.
impar

Post by impar »

Greetings!
-Arch- wrote:http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/26/classi ... d-of-2017/
is it worth stickying this thread? untill Firefox 57 comes out
This is really troubling. :?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote: The pathetic excuse for doing this is that Fx is too slow currently. My Fx45.5 ESR is EXTREMELY fast. The slow browser is Vivaldi even with its ability now to properly fully load all tabs on start. Chrome browsers are slow. Fx, Sea Monkey, and Pale Moon are very fast. But "fast" is NOT the most important criteria anyway. If a browser is "slow" then it is probably due to either spyware on the user's system or cheap systems with not enough CPU or RAM.
The problem I see with a lot of these "pathetic excuse" backlash posts is you forget you are only one user out of millions.

Mozilla wants to improve performance for all users.

Sorry for your disappointment.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
marty60

Post by marty60 »

WaltS48 wrote:The problem I see with a lot of these "pathetic excuse" backlash posts is you forget you are only one user out of millions.

Mozilla wants to improve performance for all users.
Your point would have more validity if it was just one person using addons. The fact is for the browser's entire existence it has been based on the XUL model. So Mozilla's desire to improve performance for all users means millions of users are being thrown out the door. This is almost like a bait and switch that is so common in this industry. One can probably make persuasive arguments that it's time to move on but at the very least let the new model mature enough first so that loyal users aren't left in the dust.