Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Frank Lion

Re: Changes in Firefox 57

Post by Frank Lion »

GHM113 wrote:There are a bunch of improvements missing in
(insert name of any version from Firefox 4 - 58 in a 'you'll get your money next week, promise' type way.)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Melchior82

Post by Melchior82 »

Firefox 2 when I first liked Firefox..

That is all was fine till they started ABUSING the version numbers...
its SACRILEGE against programming most sacred of means of telling, the VERSION NUMBER(s) (vMajor.Minor.Fix/security.build#)
lol ;) :P

that and when this introduced Australis UI.. meh... had to turn to CTR to fix that...
etc
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

We're getting a bit far afield from the subject of this topic folks. Let's get back to "Changes to 57" so I don't have to come back and lock the door on the off-topic posts.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... a/dl3p5jc/
Most of WebRender is aiming to land within 57, but not all of it will get enabled at once as far as I understand. So far the plan is to have it finalized by 59, but I know that the team working on it is trying to get it done earlier.
59 sounds too good to be true :-k
Sorry for my poor English.
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

That statement is two months old. Given the current state and scope of the project I can't image it landing any sooner than in Nightly 59 by default, and probably spending a few cycles just in Nightly. I would be glad to be wrong of course.
fjutt

Post by fjutt »

mightyglydd wrote:
fjutt wrote:To bra frank, the main reason for me to use Firefox is that it is made by Mozilla. A non-profit organization
"Provided of course, people believe in them"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ujRE2IkEIo
Very true, but they have a good track record at least, with us no longer having to use IE to use the web. I hope they can continue to keep the web like that, open. It scares me to see so many use Chrome, and hear devs discuss if they really need to support anything (and test in anything) else than Chrome. It is not a positive development. So there is absolutely still a need and place for Mozilla and Firefox as I see things.
Edds

Post by Edds »

59 Nightly for Webrender is probably the earliest possible train, with additional full cycle needed, so I'm expecting availability in beta/release 60.
Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

GHM113 wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... a/dl3p5jc/
Most of WebRender is aiming to land within 57, but not all of it will get enabled at once as far as I understand. So far the plan is to have it finalized by 59, but I know that the team working on it is trying to get it done earlier.
59 sounds too good to be true :-k
Who knows? It might all work out.

Normally, there wouldn't be any great urgency either, obviously asap, but any progress is good progress type of thing. I think the problem that we'll see in 57 is people saying/thinking 'OK, I can see what has been taken away and not replaced, now show me the improvement reasons that made all that necessary'....and I didn't see much.

Don't forget, once you take away the theme and extension stuff I do, I just drop back to being a regular browser user and so can see things as others do. In other words, I'm not a full time geek who finds browser development really fascinating - I don't.

Will they be really impressed by the screenshot stuff? Nope, they will point out that loads of extensions, like Pearl Crescent, did it far better and the paranoid amongst them will question why the pics need to be uploaded to Mozilla servers. As mentioned, I also doubt they'll notice much performance gain either, from what I've seen. So, choppy waters ahead, I reckon.

I'm sure in time, things will improve but users do have a tendency to take off, like a flock of birds, if they don't like what they see. Either way, I'm sure they'll let us know. :)

Note to self: extensions.allow-non-mpc-extensions > true.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Frank Lion wrote: Will they be really impressed by the screenshot stuff? Nope, they will point out that loads of extensions, like Pearl Crescent, did it far better and the paranoid amongst them will question why the pics need to be uploaded to Mozilla servers. As mentioned, I also doubt they'll notice much performance gain either, from what I've seen. So, choppy waters ahead, I reckon.
For the record, they don't need to be uploaded. Its just that the tutorial doesn't explain that the down arrow will save to disk instead of the cloud. I made a complaint a while ago about forcing people to accept the terms and they just removed the accept/accept part altogether instead of fixing the dialog to let people back out.

They've also changed the data collection toggles so there's no way to opt-into the heath reports but not full telemetry.
fits79

Post by fits79 »

Does the dictionary like this addons(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ng-diction) supported at new firefox 57?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Omega X wrote:For the record, they don't need to be uploaded. Its just that the tutorial doesn't explain that the down arrow will save to disk instead of the cloud.
I knew that, but you're right to pull me up on that as I should have made that point myself.

I'm not doing a 'I knew that' in a 'I can never be wrong' type way, I really did. Earlier today, I was checking out the public perception on this stuff and watched this, amongst others - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4I7CU581zo

Talking of being wrong, there was a time when I used to refer to the paranoid as 'foilers' and the like. Trouble is, half the time these days they are right to be like that! So, nowadays, I use the less contentious term paranoid and leave it at that.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

fits79 wrote:Does the dictionary like this addons(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ng-diction) supported at new firefox 57?
looks like it works, but use google to findout or go to the Authors website/forum an ask there
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

its a self made dictionary like my personal mix "english+german".

it dont need an extension, just copy the aff+dic file into <firefox install folder>\dictionaries
Aris

Post by Aris »

Dictionaries and lw-themes are not affected by add-ons/webextesnions changes in Fx57+.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »