Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Lurtz

Re: Changes in Firefox 57

Post by Lurtz »

ICQ5 wrote:IMO i reckon Mozilla Kissed the guy that makes DTA to create a WE so Firefox continues, DTA has millions of users, without that firefox would be useless, the WE wont be broken, it'll be Limmited to what it can do, dont spread FUD,
Who is spreading FUD I wonder...That's conspiracy theory BS, Mozilla couldn't care less about some DTA users.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Lurtz wrote:
ICQ5 wrote:IMO i reckon Mozilla Kissed the guy that makes DTA to create a WE so Firefox continues, DTA has millions of users, without that firefox would be useless, the WE wont be broken, it'll be Limmited to what it can do, dont spread FUD,
Who is spreading FUD I wonder...That's conspiracy theory BS, Mozilla couldn't care less about some DTA users.
i disagree, Mozilla Need the authors of these extensions thats popular to create WE to keep Firefox alive, if they dopnt do that Mozilla Lose out to Google an Firefox goes Bye Bye
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

Firefox has been losing to Chrome for years, even with legacy add-ons. What makes them so important? The users of DTA are insignificant compared to Firefox's user base.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Lurtz wrote:Firefox has been losing to Chrome for years, even with legacy add-ons. What makes them so important? The users of DTA are insignificant compared to Firefox's user base.
i dont think Mozilla can afford to lose even more users to Chrome.
impar

Post by impar »

Lurtz wrote:It's interesting to see how many who predicted an add-on apocalypse and the doom of Firefox are getting back on track even before the official release of Firefox 57
These web-ext addons are still a watered down versions of legacy addons.
Had to use three web-ext to keep the functionalities given by a single legacy addon.
There is still no bookmarks duplicate cleaner (no, "Bookmarks Organizer" doesnt work, it just hangs before showing the results).
Current web-ext addons for bulk image download cant compare to the "Image Picker" legacy addon. Am trying five(!) web-ext addons to try to replicate "Image Picker" capabilities and they are still lacking.
So it is not an addon apocalypse, just an addon crisis.
efox99

Post by efox99 »

ICQ5 wrote: i disagree, Mozilla Need the authors of these extensions thats popular to create WE to keep Firefox alive, if they dopnt do that Mozilla Lose out to Google an Firefox goes Bye Bye
Did you know that the dev of DTA stated that the extension will also work for Chrome and Opera? lol

And btw I don't know if you recently woke up from a coma but Firefox lost to Chrome a long time ago.
Edds

Post by Edds »

Millions of users? DTA has 939K users. This is not even 1% of Firefox user base. Basically nothing will happen with Firefox's market share IF all DTA users will move away.
Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

Mozilla cheats with the stats.

It is known.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Lurtz wrote:Mozilla cheats with the stats.
How many users does DTA have then?
Sorry for my poor English.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

afair they only counted downloads, no uninstalled and deactivated by now. so the real # is unknown.

but i do not see what the latest answers here have somethig to do with the topic header!? btt?
JOJ0

Post by JOJ0 »

impar wrote:
Lurtz wrote:It's interesting to see how many who predicted an add-on apocalypse and the doom of Firefox are getting back on track even before the official release of Firefox 57
These web-ext addons are still a watered down versions of legacy addons.
Had to use three web-ext to keep the functionalities given by a single legacy addon.
There is still no bookmarks duplicate cleaner (no, "Bookmarks Organizer" doesnt work, it just hangs before showing the results).
Current web-ext addons for bulk image download cant compare to the "Image Picker" legacy addon. Am trying five(!) web-ext addons to try to replicate "Image Picker" capabilities and they are still lacking.
So it is not an addon apocalypse, just an addon crisis.
Just tested Bookmarks Organizer:
1. Broken search - Results displayed
Number of bookmarks 1319 Checked 1319 Warnings 306 Errors 648

2. Duplicate search - Results displayed
Number of bookmarks 1319 Checked 1319 Warnings 0 Errors 12

3. Missing Name Search - Results displayed
Number of bookmarks 1319 Checked 1319 Warnings 0 Errors 6

Look for extension conflicts or errors in your console log.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

Lurtz wrote:Firefox has been losing to Chrome for years, even with legacy add-ons. What makes them so important? The users of DTA are insignificant compared to Firefox's user base.
While extension users in general are just a fraction of Firefox users, they probably tend to be the more "power users" or more technically adept, people others come to for recommendations about browsers, they are also article writers, bloggers, participants on various online forums, so they have more influence on other people's browser choices than the "average" Firefox user.

So while DTA users are a shade under a million (Note 1), they could (as a group) influence millions of people on their browser choice.

Note 1: These numbers are from AMO. I read on discourse.mozilla.org that the AMO numbers reflect checks by Firefox to see if there are more recent updates to those extensions, a process that isn't 100% reliable and won't reflect those who have disabled checking for extension updates. The numbers are probably good for order-of-magnitude estimates.
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

Mark12547 wrote:While extension users in general are just a fraction of Firefox users, they probably tend to be the more "power users" or more technically adept, people others come to for recommendations about browsers, they are also article writers, bloggers, participants on various online forums, so they have more influence on other people's browser choices than the "average" Firefox user.

So while DTA users are a shade under a million (Note 1), they could (as a group) influence millions of people on their browser choice.

Note 1: These numbers are from AMO. I read on discourse.mozilla.org that the AMO numbers reflect checks by Firefox to see if there are more recent updates to those extensions, a process that isn't 100% reliable and won't reflect those who have disabled checking for extension updates. The numbers are probably good for order-of-magnitude estimates.
If being a power user is defined as clinging to legacy technology that forces Firefox to be much less performant than other browsers no one should listen to these.

I reckon most power users just abandoned all their precious add-ons and fled to Chrome's much more modern architecture and developer tools years ago. Since then they have been promoting Chrome.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

v 5.1.0rc1
=============================================================
+ Restartless (bootstrapped) desktop version, and most likely
the last hybrid (embedded WebExtension) before the pure
WebExtension release
It looks like NoScript WebExtension is close.
Sorry for my poor English.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Lurtz wrote:
Mark12547 wrote:While extension users in general are just a fraction of Firefox users, they probably tend to be the more "power users" or more technically adept, people others come to for recommendations about browsers, ...
If being a power user is defined as clinging to legacy technology that forces Firefox to be much less performant than other browsers no one should listen to these.

I reckon most power users just abandoned all their precious add-ons and fled to Chrome's much more modern architecture and developer tools years ago. Since then they have been promoting Chrome.
I'm certainly not in a position to comment one way or another, but I'd surmise it's hard to say whether the last sentence is accurate or not.

Since the changes in v.57, I have now switched away from Fx as my main browser and just five minutes ago got rid of beta. This is after about a quarter of a century with Netscape/Firefox.

I've been teaching at two technically oriented universities here in Berlin since 1997, and my students were astounded to see that I've switched to a new browser, although I have it set up to look exactly like the way I had Fx.

When a student asked why, and I explained my reasons, I'm sure at least a couple of the people using Fx jumped ship.

By the way, I think Germany is one of the last "bastion nations" of Fx users.

I won't mention the name of my new browser because I don't want to be accused of evangelism.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.