Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Frank Lion

Re: Changes in Firefox 57

Post by Frank Lion »

Performance

Been doing a deep-dive investigation on this bug where a user reports slower page load times due to the 60fps tab throbber
We’ve now got hardware where we can reproduce the problem on.
How about doing a deep dive investigation on common sense or even on how to read old 2014 bug reports before making 60 fps throbbers? - https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.or ... wJIAM04uYJ
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

GHM113 wrote:It looks like NoScript WebExtension is close.
giorgio wrote:Unfortunately some APIs have been deferred by the Firefox team to 58.
NoScript will be released as a WebExtension for Firefox 57 with all the major functionalities but some limitations (mostly related to features used by the Tor Browser, which require the still missing APIs), while feature parity with "legacy" NoScript will be guaranteed only when the Tor Browser gets its next major upgrade, i.e. in March 2018 when it will be based on Firefox 59.
And is anyone really surprised by this.
Did anyone really think this new, "updated" FF 57 will be ready when it ships, will be better, will be stable.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i know about ublock limitations in chromium in comparison to firefox <57 - those are now valid for firefox 57. at least ublock is proper working without these quirks.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

therube wrote:
GHM113 wrote:It looks like NoScript WebExtension is close.
giorgio wrote:Unfortunately some APIs have been deferred by the Firefox team to 58.
NoScript will be released as a WebExtension for Firefox 57 with all the major functionalities but some limitations (mostly related to features used by the Tor Browser, which require the still missing APIs), while feature parity with "legacy" NoScript will be guaranteed only when the Tor Browser gets its next major upgrade, i.e. in March 2018 when it will be based on Firefox 59.
And is anyone really surprised by this.
Did anyone really think this new, "updated" FF 57 will be ready when it ships, will be better, will be stable.
nope, i dont think it'll really be stable till it gets in the 60's IMO
mikezilla2

Post by mikezilla2 »

bah disappointing ......

the Big question is will it ever Recover
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

ICQ5 wrote:...
nope, i dont think it'll really be stable till it gets in the 60's IMO
I'm using Fx57 with just two extensions, uBlock origin and Stylus. Fx57 is quite usable.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

What are the biggest victims of WebExtensions so far?
Mouse gestures, download accelerators, tile tabs, UI, functionality related to tab opening/closing, tab stacking, modifying keyboard shortcuts. What else?
Sorry for my poor English.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

BS

tile tabs, gestures, download tools (without plugin) are available.
in special download "accelerators" worked with a plugin, no extension is capable to do this (load and combine streams)
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Tile Tabs are not possible, Tile Tabs WE opens tabs in separate windows. Addons for gestures inject script into every open web page, that's a hack.
Sorry for my poor English.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

however you call it - its possible even when they are functioning in another manner - and are limited to website content. you and others should stop distributing this negative point of view.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

flaneurb wrote:I'm using Fx57 with just two extensions, uBlock origin and Stylus. Fx57 is quite usable.
So are Otter/Midori/Qupzilla/Chromium/Vivaldi, etc. I mean it's not like these browser programs have to decode the Dead Sea Scrolls or something, they all just have to be able to open and display internet websites in a timely and effective fashion.

So, under that definition, they are all quite usable for that purpose. A good browser, however, should be able to do slightly/a lot more than that and that's what I'm not seeing in Firefox 57/58 ...and no, I'm not including their feeble 'Web Developer Tools' that not one single professional web developer on Earth would ever use...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
impar

Post by impar »

GHM113 wrote:What are the biggest victims of WebExtensions so far?
There is no proper duplicate bookmark auto cleaner, like the legacy Bookmark Deduplicator .
The only web-ext duplicate bookmark finder and manually delete is Bookmarks Organizer, and that works weirdly with the always-on animation.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

The biggest one is probably Status-4-Evar for a bottom status bar, and probably Add Bookmark Here2. But, I've gotten used to not having it. Using Foxy Gestures as a replacement for Fire Gestures. Imagus replaced Thumbnail Zoom Plus. userChrome.css tweaks have replicated most of what I was using Classic Theme Restorer for.

Well, you can just look at my config to see what extensions I am using now. Some are improvements over what I had been using.
Melchior82

Post by Melchior82 »

MarkRH wrote: userChrome.css tweaks have replicated most of what I was using Classic Theme Restorer for.
Well, you can just look at my config to see what extensions I am using now. Some are improvements over what I had been using.
"userChrome.css"
I heard this too... no idea how I will be able to translate all the CTR tweaks I use.. :( XD
fits79

Post by fits79 »

Is there any plugin i can make backup/restore my saved password of every site?
Something like that(https://addons.mozilla.org/el/firefox/a ... src=search)