Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
mightyglydd

Re: Changes in Firefox 57

Post by mightyglydd »

Wow, a browser with no add-ons (and damn near no 'useful' ones available..see top Web Extension downloads) crashes less... I'll alert the media.
@How many of us testing 57 have all 'Firefox Data Collection and Use' options unchecked ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

mightyglydd wrote:[...]@How many of us testing 57 have all 'Firefox Data Collection and Use' options unchecked ?
I have all (interaction, technical, crash reports) data collection gathering enabled to make sure that my "voice" as tester of pre-alpha Firefox will be heard, heh, pipe dream :vamp:
I even installed Firefox Pioneer extension, unfortunately it doesn't do anything yet as I'm seeing. :lildevil:
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

They want our inside leg measurement and phone numbers too.. :P
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

mightyglydd wrote:...
@How many of us testing 57 have all 'Firefox Data Collection and Use' options unchecked ?
I haven't turned off any of their data gathering. That way, they'll know that at least one user needs userChrome.css :)

As for extensions, uBlock origin and Stylus are all I have, not to mention the ones bundled with the browser (system extensions?).
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I have 23 extensions with 21 active all the time. I do have telemetry enabled but not the survey part.
Aris

Post by Aris »

flaneurb wrote:...
I haven't turned off any of their data gathering. That way, they'll know that at least one user needs userChrome.css :)
I doubt their data collection methods incorporate userChrome.css/userContent.css usage.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

mightyglydd wrote:Wow, a browser with no add-ons (and damn near no 'useful' ones available..see top Web Extension downloads) crashes less... I'll alert the media.
i have that unchecked
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

I've been at Mozilla for seven years now doing various things. Just over two years ago I was tasked with my biggest project yet at Mozilla, transitioning the add-ons community over to WebExtensions. In about three weeks Firefox Quantum will go out to all the Firefox users and WebExtensions will be the only way to run an add-on on Firefox 57.
[...]
For me its been hard not to take this project personally, there are many people who disagree with the decision to do this. They let us know about this regularly in many different ways. I've never encountered this at Mozilla to this level. That's given me a real appreciation for what others at Mozilla have had to deal with.
[...]
I remain steadfastly convinced that this is one of the best things we could do for Firefox and I'm proud the work that's been done. It's been a big change and with it comes risk and uncertainty. To say that I'm a little nervous about how this will go, will be an understatement.

But here we are, in about three weeks Quantum will be rolling out and there won't be legacy add-ons.
http://www.agmweb.ca/2017-10-27-here-we-are/
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

^^Why did you fail to inform us about the Totally Awesome new AMO ? :-k
Last edited by mightyglydd on October 28th, 2017, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Lurtz wrote:
[...]
But here we are, in about three weeks Quantum will be rolling out and there won't be legacy add-ons.
http://www.agmweb.ca/2017-10-27-here-we-are/
So is it still about three weeks to the beginning of massive migration? ;)
I really wonder if it speeds up decreasing usage share of Firefox
or maybe stops it for moment or maybe it will grows.
mightyglydd wrote:^^Why did fail to inform us about the Totally Awesome new AMO ? :-k
Because there are no any extensions? ;)
Oh, they're, just some, but less than in Opera extension list. :lol:
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

As Stalin said, the death of one addon is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic :-"
Sorry for my poor English.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:Because there are no any extensions? ;)
Oh, they're, just some, but less than in Opera extension list. :lol:

That's not fair, I found four !!!!!!!!!! :P
Oh.....after 'Trying' the new AMO, (and frakking trying it is, I don't watch Andy Pandy anymore) it became default, until I removed the cookies and the semi sane current one came back.
Last edited by mightyglydd on October 28th, 2017, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

GHM113 wrote:As Stalin said, the death of one addon is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic :-"
Apparently, Stalin was well known for using Windows XP, unlike Hitler who moved on to use Windows Vista -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSF39LmpxCY
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

It's a beautiful autumnal day, we haven't been nuked..yet..and someone has to mention that Commie!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77wKp3eywzg
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

what "New AMO " is this? got a Pic of it? ( im still getting the old one )